Weinstein (and The Great Purge Of Misconduct In Hollywood)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Savory Griddles, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

So what does everyone think? I'm not talking about whether you agree with what he did. Obviously the guy is a scumbag of the highest order. What do you think about all the ancillary stuff? Like what about all these famous actresses that he helped make household names all coming out and saying they were approached, but of course never did anything. What about Matt Damon and Russell Crowe getting a story shut down that would have blown the lid off of this years ago?

I find this whole topic fascinating. I have said on multiple occasions (even on this board) that I just couldn't stand working in the industry for more than a year or two when I first got out of college. The filth and immorality is appalling.

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Damon and Crowe are scum, IMO. I'm actually surprised they did this and I don't put much passed Hollywood.

I also find it very hypocritical how they are condemning him now (this week, vs last week, with more speaking out by the day), but they're words toward him are very mild. I imagine if this were someone from a different political party they'd be speaking out with venom. Hillary finally spoke out today. Again, mild toward him and no mention of her returning the donations or giving $ to a charity. #NotShocked. Obama declined to comment. #NotShocked. Clooney has been good friends with him for 20 years and claims to not know anything. Gimme a break.

Daniel Day Lewis said many years ago, "he's great at finding the perfect script. Otherwise, he's a worthless human being."

I hope he goes to prison for a very long time and I pray his victims find some type of peace and healing.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The man is a monster. I hope he's taken to town for this.

I do think the industry has far, far more people like him and I think that everyone who helped him do it should be held responsible as well. it's a scary situation and a horrifying situation. The fact that it's not an even bigger story than it has been is for one reason: he's connected.

4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Like I said, everyone is very tame and measured when speaking out. They condemn him in the mildest words possible and then speak boldly of the bravery of his victims speaking out (which I agree with), but he should be raked over the coals.

he even admitted much of it in an email to industry big-wigs begging to keep his job.

5. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Weinstein just donated $5 million to USC for a women's film maker program.

USC turned him down.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Saturday Night Live refused to make fun of Weinstein during last weeks show.

When asked why, Lorne Michaels said, "it's a New York thing" (meaning him and Weinstein are both from NY so he won't go after him, yet Trump is from the same neighborhood as Michaels). I'd say it's a Liberal thing.

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Man is disgusting, the epitome of every sleazy Hollywood producer in movies, but this shouldn't be real life. Not buying Clooney or NO ONE knew anything. Actresses coming forward said he would have destroyed their lives if they came forward 20 years ago, and I believe them. That's what's even worse about this to me, not that one scumbag used his power like this, but that those around him enabled him and helped pay off the women to be quiet, and kill off stories. Sorry, but there wasn't ONE person that could step forward in all this over the decades that could stand up to the man and expose him? Not one powerful person higher up like Weinstein himself? Not buying it, I see enabling going on because "this is show business", and everyone who did nothing to stop this aside from the abused and frightened women it happened to are complicit. Disgusting. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, or maybe scumbags acquire the power to carry out what they always wanted to.

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    In the history of the Oscars, Weinstein was thanked more than God.

Hollywood elite aren't condemning him because they found out. They're condemning him because we found out.

9. Savory Griddles

What's sad is these Hollywood celebrities are looked at as role models by our kids and young adults. Ashley Judd, Charlize Theron, Gwyneth Paltrow...all these stars have come out and said he made advances at them, but they all shot him down. Riiiiiight. I'm sure good old Harvey got rejected by Gwyneth Paltrow, took it in stride and continued to push her for an Oscar in one of the most befuddling Oscar wins of all time for Shakespeare in Love. From everything we're reading about Harvey, that sounds like something he'd do; take rejection and reward it. That movie won freaking Best Picture and she won Best Freaking Actress. No one thinks something was amiss?

I'm also willing to bet that for all the women that said they rejected him, there are other's who aggressively initiated the "trade" of their bodies for fame. Many of these stars are just as perverted as well. I know a sound guy that was working on a film (not the kind of guy to make things up), and there was a BIG, BIG star that had good looking, young men (18-20 year olds) going into his trailer to "play video games" with him throughout the entire production.

John3:16 brings up the point about everyone being careful to condemn it, but not to go too far in their condemnation. It's because everyone knows it's common place with everyone. Gwyenth says she told her then boyfriend Brad Pitt about her-run in. But Brad Pitt "Bending the Knee" was one of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood for years to the point where it was almost a joke.

Side Note: What is the fallout for Russell Crowe (maybe the most talented actor working today) and Matt Damon? Do they become nuclear in all this to where no studio can touch them?

John3:16 likes this.
  10. therealdeal

Well my wife was wondering why this story is so political. I told her that Weinstein is responsible for some of the most powerful democrats of all time. He's been instrumental in Obama and Hillary's campaigns for sure.

Did it not make anyone else raise an eyebrow when his apology came with a promise to fight the NRA? What the damn hell does the NRA have to do with him being a monstrous rapist?

11. Savory Griddles

Oh. I raised an eyebrow. Look over here at the NRA. It was honestly cringe worthy. Not just for the obvious reason of what does the NRA have to do with raping women, but how pathetic and transparent that attempt at misdirection was. An 8 year old could see through that.

12. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Ben affleck has been accused of groping an actress. I hope they all get exposed.

13. Savory Griddles

His Batman has no problem killing and branding criminals; mowing them down with a gatling gun. What's a little groping? Anyone got quotes from Affleck condemning the "Grab 'em by the p****" quote during the election? He's a huge lefty.

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Jimmy Kimmel had Matt Damon on his show. Think he asked about Weinstein? I love the hypocrisy out of Hollywood.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  15. Savory Griddles

I'd almost find the hypocrisy amusing if it weren't for the fact that a lot of our youth look up to these people and view a lot of them as the epitome of "cool" and want to live the life they live. Hollywood is only addressing this because they absolutely have to. They want people to forget about this as quickly as possible because if people start digging around, they'll find Harvey was just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe considering the subject matter I should refrain from saying "just the tip."

sirronstuff, John3:16 and Kenzo like this.
  16. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Naw, Kimmel couldn't ask him about Weinstein. You ambush a guest about something like that and you won't get good guests anymore.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  17. therealdeal

True there's too much at stake in an environment like that. I do think it is telling though that there are still many actors and actresses that are mum on the situation. If this had happened in another place, another industry, another political party if we're all being honest, then there'd be an avalanche of people crushing that person. So far the fallout has been large, but I'm surprised more have not been held to task to call him out in public. In the NFL and NBA, athletes are being pressured to be cognizant of social issues. We should hold Hollywood to the same standard, shouldn't we?

18. Savory Griddles

Those talk shows are completely pre-planned. Those stars know the exact questions 99 times out of 100. Kimmel and Damon could have sat down and crafted a carefully worded question and answer. The fact that they didn't take the time to do that tells me Damon is in deep with Weinstein.

19. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

You make a great point. And at the end of the day, it's about ratings and future dollars. I'm still disappointed though.

sirronstuff and Barnstable like this.
  20. therealdeal

Here's Damon's story on the Weinstein controversy. He did an interview with Deadspin after Jessica Chastain dragged him into the conversation. Chastain first claimed that Damon must have known about all of this, but since has withdrawn her accusation.
    http://deadline.com/2017/10/matt-da...we-sexual-abuse-scandal-interview-1202185574/

Rose McGowan has now spearheaded the attack against Weinstein, calling out Affleck and Damon (mostly Affleck):https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/movies/rose-mcgowan-ben-affleck-matt-damon-weinstein.html

Seth McFarlane saying he knew about the attacks and took this jab at Weinstein back in 2013 at the Oscars on purpose after hearing about the attack on Jessica Barth who he worked with on Ted and Ted 2.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...s-harvey-weinstein-at-2013-oscars-jab-1047829

Here's a pretty unapologetic stance on Damon/Affleck(s)/Weinstein:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-g...-and-ben-afflecks-harvey-weinstein-statements

George Clooney on Weinstein was adamantly against him, but got a little too lofty and political for my taste. Added perception though among Hollywood big-wigs and why some people saying they didn't know might really not have known. The issue is more than just Weinstein, but the culture in Hollywood.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/georg...stein-its-disturbing-on-a-whole-lot-of-levels

Here are a good collection of quotes from different people.
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...rvey-weinstein-w507944/cate-blanchett-w508266

Here's someone calling out the late-night hosts for not being more staunch on Weinstein after crushing Trump for his horrendous ***** grabbing quote:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/late-night-comedy-shows-avoid-harvey-weinstein-allegations-for-now

Savory Griddles and John3:16 like this.