Wayne Ellington, Terrence Ross, Nikola Vucevic On LA's Radar?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by lakerfan2, Dec 9, 2018.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Yeah... Do you guys know who Ariza's agent is? It's Mintz.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    his player is on an expiring deal or is it with team option?

Either way, I don't know that Mintz has any sway in a trade. Nobody is taking on Ariza with a guarantee of an extension. Mintz did his job and got him paid this year. Now he might want to help him win a bit too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Cookie and Khmrp like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i concur lol....f*** mintz, he dont matter...if ariza wants to get paid again hed glady come here n ball out n get that media attention

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I don't think Philly/Fultz will be a part of this deal.

I'm thinking it's the cbags with Rozier.

Danny covets picks and Phoenix is sitting on the Milwaukee pick they got in the Bledsoe deal. That pick is top 3 protected next summer with minimal protections until it's fully unprotected in 2021.

LA: Ariza
    PHX: Kcp, Rozier, Wanamaker
    Boston: 2019 Milwaukee pick, Crawford, Zu

Boston is facing injuries to both their centers in Horford and Baynes, so Zu would help. Crawford probably wants to bounce from Phx too.

KCP and his family don't have to make an immediate change in his living situation since Phx is close enough to LA. Plus that 15% kicker is nice incentive if he does consent on a trade.

In the end, Phx essentially traded Bledsoe for Rozier with this type of deal...which is a fair trade based off their production.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

If Ariza is unwilling to resign for dirt cheap next summer with us then Metta World Peace is always on the other line.

DoMinJoon, shoe, lakerjones and 7 others like this.
  6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

A 3-team trade that makes a lot of sense is...

Lakers get Ariza
    Phoenix gets Jeremy Lin
    Atlanta gets KCP + picks (a second rounder from Lakers and a second rounder from Phoenix?)

Phoenix gets a veteran point guard who’s talented enough to start. They have no such thing right now.

Atlanta gets some second round picks to help with their rebuild.

KCP agrees to waive his no trade clause because he will get a ton of playing time in Atlanta... and who knows, if Atlanta likes him they might lock him up to a long term contract because KCP’s age (25 years old) is still a very good age to be a part of a rebuild.

alam1108 likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  8. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

It’s more about defense for me. The shooting might be equal, but Ariza brings that defensive edge on the perimeter, even at his age.

9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Eh.... they're so similar, the difference could just be in the role they have on their respective teams.

Per Game.JPG

Advanced.JPG

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Yea I don't see KCP staying after this year anyways, unless he wants to take a massive pay cut or sign up for another 1 year deal (if we scratch during FA). Also he would have to come off the bench. Ariza on the other hand isn't going to command a lot of money this summer because of his age and he pretty much knows his role at this point in his career.

lakerjones and Khmrp like this.
  11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

KCP is more likely to stay than Ariza though because we have overpaid him for 2 years so if we offer him say 4 next year it's like 3 years at 34. To Ariza it's just 1 year @ 4 offered the same.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Overall, it not a dramatic difference between the two. I don’t think we are suddenly winning it all because of Ariza.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

why would kcp take 4mill a yr? kcp or paul isnt going to look at the prior 2yrs like you are

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Another element to sending Kcp to Georgia is that he grew up there and went to school out there. He definitely would be more open to getting back home.

ATL is projected to have about 40m in cap space next summer, which could go up to 60m if Baze opts out of his player option.

Typically when you trade a player, you're trading his bird rights along with him. In this case, Kcp has earned his early bird rights signing 2 successive one year deals with us...but the rub is that those rights are only exclusive to us and could only benefit from the payout using those rights if he decides to resign with us next summer.

If he consents on a trade, he losses those rights and technically can't get paid more on a cap-strapped team.

However a team like ATL or Phx will have cap next summer and can use it to sign KCP to whatever amount (up to his max of 27.3m) they want as long as they have enough cap to do it with even though he would lose his bird rights with any trade.

Also roughly half the league (15 teams) will have roughly 20m+ in cap space next summer. So if Kcp does consent on a trade to whatever team, he will have options to recoup on the losses he could face had he earned his early bird with us and re-upped with us next summer. Not to mention, his trade kicker will give him another 1.8m as consolation for waiving off his early bird rights in a trade.

Hope that clears some stuff up on the matter.

Also this just happened...

Btw I think he has the wrong idea of what it means to have their "mountains covered in fresh powder"...

15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^
    Championship.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

KCP is streaky and able to string together several great defensive plays and can catch fire from three. But he’s also prone to gambling too much defensively and shooting like prison KCP.

With Ariza, I feel like hes more of a sure thing. He’s stable and you know what you are getting from him every game. Plus he’s bigger which will help with switch everything defense. I will admit though that I haven’t seen much of him this season so I don’t know how much of the old Ariza is still there.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Maybe; but also if he signs for whatever's left after other signings, I *think* lakers get full bird rights, meaning they can go over the cap at a much higher number the following year, too. Depends on the trust level between Paul and the lakers.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  18. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

A motivated Ariza will play better than a Ariza playing for a team that is blatantly tanking for Zion lol. Perfect example is Tyson Chandler.

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    The only thing that would make me hesitate on this is if we were also forced to include our 1st Round Pick.

I'm all for Ariza over Pope even though I think this year its been a wash and I know Ariza could be like Tyson and just needs new life on a contending team. But giving up a 1st when the two players aren't that far off would be too much for me too.

20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, no first. Otherwise straight up KCP for Ariza swap, I'm all over that.