To Serve And Protect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Barnstable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

She was, but I still don’t see how that leads to 6 cops in total showing up. How do you not handle the situation before that point? You need that many for a 65 year old granny? That one cop needs to come in and tell her to shut the f*** up and get out of the car? I can’t see how this is anything but a matter of race. Like you I’ve seen plenty of videos of white people doing way worse than this, and cops taking it all in stride, no big deal. The officer that resigned also wrote that he felt no wrong was done here and that he pretty much only quit because he thought he’d be fired anyway. You seriously can’t admit that you were excessive with an old woman on a traffic stop? What is this thing with police, lawyers, district attorneys, and judges where an apology and admitting to a mistake is like asking them to drink poison? It’s disgusting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ic-stop/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.449102d097ea

Barnstable likes this.
  2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesm...releases-video-f5MW5-PVDUG3o96HZJJACw/?full=1

The South Carolina NAACP president posted about how he was racially profiled on a traffic stop, and now the police chief has responded by releasing bodycam video and calling him a liar (video below.)

NAACP President Rev. Jerrod Moultrie posted to Facebook on April 13 about how he was just racially profiled on a traffic stop.

The allegations in his account are disturbing, and would indicate profiling by the officer - except none of it was true.

Below is a transcript of the interaction as posted by Rev. Moultrie:

Me: hello sir how can I help you

Officer: I am stopping you cause you fail to put on a turn signal and do you have any drugs in the car

Me: sir how would you know If I used my tum signal when you was approaching me as I turn and is there any drugs in your car?

Officer: License and registration

Me:sir can I take off my seat belt and get it

Officer: sure

Me: (as i open glove box i said )sir this is a new car i just purchased and all ! have is bill of sale, insurance card and registration from car I am transferring tags

Officer: ok where you work and who car is this and why you in this neighborhood

Me: sir I am a pastor and I live in the house on the left

Officer:And I guess I am the bill gates

Me: sir what's the problem

Officer: I ask who car for the last time and why you in this neighborhood

Me: I told you for last time who car and where I live.( as my neighborhood starts to come out there house) By the way sir can I speak to your supervisor

Officer: walks away with my information When he returned he said did you know your tags comes back to another vehicle

Me: sir I just explain this to you

Officer: you need to park this vehicle and never drive it till you get this straight with DMV

Me: sir I have purchased multiple vehicles and never heard this now officer and I start fussing cause I said well i will be driving my car sir and anyt time I want

Officer: I am waming you to not drive this car till tags get straight and just know I am doing you a favor tonight not taking you to jail or writing you a ticket

Me: sir you might be doing your Self a favor but you certainly not doing me a favor.

The reverend finished off his post by saying that his wife and baby were in the back seat, but still he was profiled and accused of having drugs.

"Guess I can't be a pastor and can't drive a Mercedes Benz and live in a nice neighborhood," Rev. Moultrie said. "...someone needs to answer for this behavior and this officer will."

After seeing the post, local community activist Timothy Waters went down to the police department to look at the bodycam and dash camera footage, according to WPDE.

He was shocked to see that everything the reverend said was a lie.

"Once I got a copy of that body cam, it's as if he made the whole story up. And I felt like he set us back 100 years, because think about all of the racial profiling cases (that) are true," Waters told WPDE.

WPDE reports that Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown said that Rev. Moultrie even went so far as to contact him the next morning to claim that he had been racially profiled and mistreated.

"He made a comment that the officer accused him of having drugs in the car. He said that his wife and grandchild was in the car. He asked them not to move because the officer looked as if he might shoot them or something. He also made mention that the officer continued to ask him about his neighborhood. Why was he in that neighborhood? And threaten(ed) to put him in jail in reference to something dealing with the registration to the vehicle," Chief Brown told WPDE. Except all of those accusations were lies.

"When I saw the video, I was shocked that someone who is supposed to be a community leader, a pastor, and head of the NAACP would just come out and tell a blatant lie. It bothered me. It really bothered me, thinking about the racial unrest it could've cost in the community and it's just troubling to me that someone who held a position like that would come out and just tell a lie," Brown told WPDE.

Rev. Moultrie refused to comment to the news station, and instead referred them to Timmonsville NAACP officers Kenneth McAllister and Henry James Dixon.

Both men told the station that they didn't need to see the video because they support Rev. Moultrie, and know that he's a man of integrity who wouldn't lie.

You can see the video of the traffic stop below:

Lakeshow85, Barnstable and revgen like this.
  3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Weezy and revgen like this.
  4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    And another one. This was written by my favorite journalist / news reporter, from the Bay Area, Frank Somerville KTVU. (Follow him on facebook, he's amazing)

“The Texas Department of Public Safety is appalled that anyone would make such a despicable, slanderous and false accusation against a peace officer.”

Today the Texas Department of Public Safety released this body camera video of the arrest of a 37 year-old woman who claimed that she was sexually assaulted by a police officer.

She had been pulled over for suspected drunk driving.
    And was eventually arrested for DUI.

It turns out that she completely made up the story.
    And the body camera video bears that out.

It’s pathetic to me that ANYONE would do that.
    Especially at a time where many minorities fear the police.
    And at a time when relations between minorities and police are under a huge microscope.

The woman had hired a high profile attorney named Lee Meritt and today he issued an apology to the department and the officer.

He wrote in part:
    “The body camera video directly conflicts with the accounts reported to my officer.
    There is no readily apparent evidence of tampering with the footage.
    The officer… should be cleared of any wrongdoing.
    It is deeply troubling when innocent parties are falsely accused and I am truly sorry for any trouble these claims may have caused the officer and his family.”

The case received a lot of attention in part because of a well known blogger named Shaun King.
    He has nearly 2 million followers on Facebook.
    After the incident he wrote:

“This woman was kidnapped & raped by a Texas State Trooper - OFFICER HUBBARD.
    She is now being held hostage in Ellis County Jail.”

I read King's posts all the time.
    I think he is a very insightful person who writes about a lot of important things.

In this case though I think he made a huge mistake by writing something so inflammatory before he had all the facts

Today he wrote:

“Today the Texas Department of Public Safety released this body camera footage of the traffic stop, field sobriety test, and subsequent arrest of Sherita Dixon-Cole.
    It does not appear to show any verbal threats, sexual assault, or police brutality of any kind.”

I was reading through some of the comments and two stuck out to me.
    One person wrote:

“You should be chastising the woman for fabricating this story as strongly as you did the cop for allegedly committing the act.
    False claims of abuse are just as bad as the abuse....because they set things backwards for genuine victims of abuse.
    We should condemn both wrongs just as loudly.”

And another person wrote:

“Thanks Sherita. (The woman arrested)
    You done made it worse for the women who ACTUALLY have gotten assaulted by cops.
    Now and in the future.”

I completely agree with both of those comments.

People who make false claims to me are disgusting.
    And they hurt people who are REAL victims.

I hope she realizes that.

5. Barnstable

People can be trash. That’s why you need body cams, to catch trash suspects, and officers in lies

revgen, Lakeshow85 and John3:16 like this.
  6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I have no idea why every officer isn't wearing one. I would if I were a cop. For my protection.

7. Weezy

I wish they’d all wear one too, but for our protection

Oh my goodness, he parked across 2 lanes in the middle of the night. But he’s black, with a hoodie, calling all cars! What a ridiculous incident, these officers should be ashamed for acting this way number one, and for wasting time and money like this. Seems to me this cop was just out looking for a fight, disgusting.

lakerfan2 and revgen like this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  11. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    The immense cost is the #1 reason why not all police officers have cameras

12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

More excuses. Cost is all relative. The city of Baltimore had to pay $5.7 million in lawsuits from 2011 to 2014 as a result of police misconduct. I can't imagine body cameras costing the city $5.7 million in 3 years.

SOURCE

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  13. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I don't buy it. I have a GoPro that was relatively inexpensive. Police forces are militarized around the country. They can afford a tank, they can afford a body camera.

Jaguar, Barnstable and revgen like this.
  14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    revgen likes this.
  15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

@John3:16 Even with administrative costs, and costs of storage and logistics, I don't see how it would be worse than what some cities are paying out in lawsuits. Not to mention the hidden costs of bad cops not being held accountable and good cop's reputations ruined by false allegations.

Jaguar, John3:16 and Barnstable like this.
  16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I get what you're saying about big cities like Baltimore paying out millions. But a midsize city with no scandals or police abuse could go broke. We the tax payers are footing this bill.

revgen likes this.
  17. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    When cities payout in lawsuits, it’s a fund that is designated specifically for paying out when needing to. It has nothing to do with budgets for police agencies. Usually it’s a collective fund for multiple cities that share from a pool of money, JUST for lawsuits, cause police agencies are sued all the time. The cities usually pay out to avoid any litigation since it’s cheaper. Whether the lawsuit has merit or not.

And again, the immense cost is the #1 reason. Body cams aren’t as simple as go-pro, and uploading and what not. There’s a chain of custody it has to go through. There has to be a city approved/agency approved of uploading and storing videos. Lots of beaucratic tape to go through to come up with policy for, that costs lots of money. Then you gotta implement it.

The cost of the camera itself isn’t the issue, it’s everything else. The cameras have to connect to the police network, there has to be the software, 24 hr tech support for when cameras mess up or not functioning, have to pay the people in tech support, terabytes and terabytes of space for videos to be uploaded and be held for however long the agency/City agreed to hold on to them, support staff to work the servers and give attorneys videos when they request them, take cops off the street to upload videos and make sure they’re properly stored, overtime if they’re held over. It adds up to millions of dollars. Most agencies that aren’t located in the upper scale cities/ counties are severely underfunded already, so you can see why some agencies can’t afford the cost of a bodycam system.

Barnstable, revgen and John3:16 like this.
  18. Barnstable

You just described the plot to RoboCop

[​IMG]

Weezy, John3:16, revgen and 1 other person like this.
  19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Love that movie.

The new one wasn't close.

revgen, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  20. Weezy

It’s largely because they went PG-13 where the original was free to go with 80’s cheese and gore and become classic. The only scene in the new one that was jarring was when they pulled away his suit and showed him what was left of his body, that was bold.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.