Third Star Vs Adding Depth

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by karacha, Jun 17, 2019.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I will admit that - when I heard the news about AD trade - I was all about getting that 3rd star. Hey, let's get Kawhi Leonard as well, why not? If he does not want to play for us, there's always Butlers, Kyries, even Kembas who might want to.

But, the more I think about it, the more I feel we need to add some depth. Having Bron+Brow as our primary stars might (we are talking about two top 6-7 players in the league right now, both legitimate MVP candidates) be more than enough with good depth, with players who can compliment them, ie. guys who can shoot and/or defend. Who are they? Well, players like JJ, Brogdon, Green - perhaps a "Euro" guy who is a proven role-player, such as Bogdanovic or Mirotic, maybe even Rubio... you get the idea.

Let's take Bogdanovic for example: he's a Croatian player (born in Mostar, Bosnia actually, just like Zubac) who scores over 18PPG, hitting almost 5 threes a game. He shoots them @ 40%+ clip. Great energy, no issues off the court, good teammate, easy to get along with. Could play the 3, with Bron/AD at the 4/5 respectively. Add Rubio, who is a great defender, reliable 12 PPG guy with amazing court vision, smart... They are both in their prime, not too young, definitely not old, and - wait for it! - will hit 85% of their free throws. You see what I am getting at here.

I know there is some discussion about this going on, but it's all in multiple threads and very difficult to follow, so I decided to create a new topic where we can debate the pros and cons of both approaches.

IMO, guys who don't necessarily need the ball to be effective would be cheaper than all-stars; they have experience to step in, lock down the opposing wing player, knock down the timely 3 etc. What do you think? One (super)star or two-three well-established role-players? We can add a poll if you think it's a good idea, but I am more interested in the discussion right now.

2. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

I think it could go either way.. But I don't think a third Star automatically means zero depth.
    I'm holding out Final Judgement until Trade Deadline 2020.
    My gut says the insurance of a third Star is better. If you can do it, you have to go for it. Any of Kawhi, Butler, Kemba or Kyrie, automatically make this Team really scary.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I can behind getting depth over a 3rd star... but when i look at the Rondo's, Stephenson's, Pope's or Beasley's... well, my optimism is not very high to be honest.

4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

OK, I was not suggesting KCP and Beasley there, LOL.

Kenzo and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Heh, i know. But seeing "the great finds" we signed last year, i have little faith we'll do any better.

6. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Three stars all the way, this is mainly due to post Lebron.

If we got Kawhi, it makes LBJ’s decline much more manageable, we then have two prime top 10 players in the league going forward after LBJ, minimising the risk of the picks we gave up.

Plus there are some solid veterans we can add to our team already with three stars, plus the room exception.

lakerjones and shoe like this.
  7. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

We don't know what we can do with MLE and vet mins yet. It is supposed to be a good summer for those and at the same time there are a lot of teams with a lot of money to pay all the tier 2 and tier 3 players so I am personally for the 3rd max star route and see what we can attract on the budget level pitching the "join the new team for the ages" to them. Everyone saw what the Livingstons, Iguodalas, McGees, Boguts etc did for personal legacies by playing for GSW. Take a pay cut join a dynasty.

8. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    At the end of the day, I probably couldn’t say no to another third star.

But I will say, I think more people need to check out Bogdanovic’s stats. Dude can ball and would be by number one choice if we go the roleplayer route and can get him for under 15 million.

Toneloc likes this.
  9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

My thing is, we lost depth and leveraged a bulk of our future with the AD trade.

Signing role players would add depth but we won't be able to simultaneously prepare for the post-Lebron era. If our roster isn't good enough to win the title, we would have essentially put a cap on our ceiling and window of 2-3 years, then we'd gradually get worse as Lebron ages.

If the 3rd max is a young superstar, ie Kyrie or Kawhi, we have to go that route because we'd regain what we've lost with the trade --- our future. Adding depth may take a couple of years, but good role players can be picked up with the MLE and ring-chasers with the minimum along the way.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Cookie, Savory Griddles and Weezy like this.
  10. myunibrodavis

myunibrodavis - Rookie -

Kyrie, butler, and obviously Kawhi over depth

Depth over kemba

432J, Cookie, Toneloc and 2 others like this.
  11. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I've expressed the reasons why I don't want Kyrie/Kemba/Butler in the FA thread.

Basically I would go hard at Kawhi, if nothing, we immediately move to lower tier guys like Beverly and Bogdanovic.

I want depth over any FA not named Kawhi, but I worry about Pelinka's ability to close 2-3 good deals on meaningful rotation players. I'm obviously optimistic, but we need to see it.

SamsonMiodek and sirronstuff like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Always go for the biggest star... Kawhi

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Third star >>>>>>>>

Long term you have Kawhi and AD. That is the most ideal situation a team could ever want. You cannot turn that down.

PG - Bev, Curry, IT, Caruso, McConnell,
    SG - Redick, Ross, Green, Bullock, Matthews
    SF - Ariza, Dudley,
    PF - Taj, Davis
    C - Jordan, Lopez bros, Mcgee

Try to get 3-4 guys from above:

- 1 PG
    - 2 Wings
    - 1 Center

Some of those guys (Caruso, Dudley, Mcgee) can probably be had at the minimum so even better to get the top 4 role players and then snag good role players for the minimum.

Cookie, lakerjones and Toklat like this.
  14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Should have made a poll.

Third star if that star is Kawhi or Butler.

We’d have the room exception to then hopefully throw at a Beverley or McGee type. Rest of roster has to be vet mins or 2nd rounders/g league.

Then come next year, we’d have the MLE to get better role players.

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Third star if you can.

BUT, I don't think people should get caught in the hype that will surely come if we don't land one of those guys. There are some good options that can solidify us as a contender this year.

Also, if we make sensible deals we can sign guys for 2 to 3 years with contracts that are fairly easy to trade if we need to down the road.

The key is not overpaying if we sign role players.

I'd be a lot more confident if we had a heavy hitter running the front office. But Rob and Rambis are our people for the time being so we gotta hope for the best.

KB24 and Cookie like this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I really don't even think this is an argument. Like Tada said, we gave away everything for AD. Lebron is taking up a huge chunk of the cap. If we fill in the rest of the team with long-term role players, when Lebron retires, we may not have the money to add a second star next to AD which would leave us in the same position as the Pelicans. If you have AD and Kawhi, role players will always come. And stars win. The only reason Kawhi and his band of role players won this season is the Warriors got decimated with injuries. A full strength Warriors team wins that series in 5.

KB24, Cookie, lakerfan2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Paperplanes

Paperplanes - Rookie -

In doing the trade for AD, I think we have limited the ways we can improve the team for a few years. We can't use picks during the season for trades to make adjustments mid season. If we get a 3rd max guy. We will only have the mid level every year to get someone and the vet min, for years. I just see how much players like Iggy, Looney and Livingston made an impact during the Warriors previous runs. I think we all would like to believe that players will come running to take less to win a ring, but those guys usually will only do it for a year. Then we will be 3 stars with rotating players with no real way to improve or make changes.

Purp n Gold likes this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

while you cant make trades with picks you can at draft time n next yr we'll have the tax payer mle which is 10m+, kuz still has potential to be the semi 3rd star or super 6th man, ring chasers will always be around

alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.
  19. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

We were only signing Players to one Year deals.. Limits your options.

20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

need to land a 3rd star

but if they strike out on kawhi/butler/kyrie then just go out and get as many 3 pt shooters as possible

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.