The Sam Hinkie Way To Finish The Season

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by bfc1125roy, Feb 14, 2019.

1. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Just a fun idea I was thinking about. Honestly, what's the point of making the playoffs at this point? I see 2 reasons.

1) Get the young kids playoff experience.

2) Protect the team's and LeBron's reputation and signal to other teams we're serious about winning.

The first is complicated by the fact that the kids have checked out thanks to the trade rumors. Furthermore, I would argue developing the kids talent is more important than artificial playoff experience. But it's clear we cannot be *WIN NOW* with LeBron on the team and at the same time be in player development mode for Brandon Ingram and co. We have to pick one, and by signing LeBron that choice has already been made.

The team and LeBron's reputation isn't that great at this point. Most teams know we're serious about winning thanks to how public the latest FA and trade rumors have been, so this point isn't a concern.

So now that we've agreed we're in *WIN NOW* mode while LeBron is on the team, what's the best way to do that. 2/3 of Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma are not going to be all-stars in the next 2 years, and at that point LeBron has a player option which he will likely decline to become an FA at age 37. So in order to win now, we need to maximize the talent we can acquire with our current assets, and make good use of our cap space. In order words, trade for a star/good player, and sign a star in FA this summer.

I won't go into signing a star since there's not much we can do. We know Magic will tamper to the extent we can, and whether KD, Leonard, Irving, or Klay is interested in coming here has more to do with themselves and their current situations on their teams rather than LA. Since we are not going to be knocking out the Warriors, Raptors, or C Bags in the playoffs, this is out of our control.

To maximize our ability to trade for a star/good player, we need MORE assets. Now the only major variable in our asset pool right now is our first round pick, which we own this year. I am aware we cannot trade it, but we can agree to a trade in principle and pick the player the other team wants ahead of time, a la Hornets and Kobe in '96. Thus, our ability to *WIN NOW* is solely based on the value of our draft pick this summer, so we should maximize this.

Therefore, with all the Sam Hinkie I can muster, I propose the following plan:

1. Sign 'Melo

2. Fire Walton (optional)

3. Rest LeBron for the rest of the season, and let him recover from the current injury (he's clearly not 100%).

4. Let Melo chuck away to sell tickets and let kids shoot as much as they want to display their current talent level.

5. Go 0-25 to finish the season.

6. Get a high draft pick.

7. Trade draft pick plus kids for AD in the summer. If the pick is good we may even be able to keep one of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma.

8. Sign good FA

9. Profit $$$

Even if the plan fails, getting a good pick allows us to one more potential all star player we can put on this team as we develop our young talent for the long term.

Again, this is just for fun. It's more me trying to think about the best way to maximize our ability to win championships while LeBron is here.

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

none of your pts seem fun at all....more like needless embarrasement and AD part isnt gona happen unless you land the #1 pick

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  3. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Depends on where Boston's picks land as well. And even if not AD, it could be someone else we trade for.

4. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Why not try to make the playoffs and then sell the idea to potential free agents that they are the missing piece?

Seems like playing well and making some noise in the playoffs would go a lot further than tanking. Remember, this is the Lakers not some crummy organization that is constantly rebuilding.

SamsonMiodek, alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

I think it's pretty clear we are 1-2 good players away from a ring. I don't think the "missing piece" idea is really what will make or break a potential FA's desire to come here. Considering right now the other top destinations for Leonard, Durant, and Irving are the Clippers or Knicks, both of whom are in worse positions talent-wise than us.

I think the FA factor is the same whether or not we make the playoffs. The only thing under our control is if we can make a trade with the young guys, and our ability to make a good trade comes down to our draft pick this year, since all other assets won't change.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  6. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

Both options seem tantalizing, but I’d like to make the playoffs so the kids can see how much more intense the playoffs are. They think they gotta nut up right now? Wait till they see how much MORE they gotta nut up to make it in the playoffs.

And the only way we make the playoffs is if they go bat**** crazy and win 20+ from here on out, which would make th m deserving. And if they don’t, then as the adage goes, they shouldn’t be there anyway.

I want them to make it and hopefully punch the Dubs in the face a couple games for starters. Any more than that would be b****in.

7. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I see where you're coming from but disagree... these guys have egos and want to be the guy that makes the difference. So, if we are close...i.e., an up an coming team... made the playoffs, etc., why wouldn't a FA want to be the missing piece. I never intimated that the missing piece idea would make or break a potential FA's decision but seeing a team that is progressing will.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

No one is signing with us. No one is trading with us. Our kids suck and show no progress, while Luke is dumb as a rock. FO is clueless and fans are spoiled and delusional. We're close to being doomed and majorly f***ed...
    That being said, im ok with any plan at this point. What's the worst that can happen, right.

9. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Go to the playoffs, we are the Lakers ffs.

tada and IE Lakers like this.
  10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

[​IMG]
    Toughest stretch in our history :(

IE Lakers likes this.
  11. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

Seriously. f*** it. Go for the playoffs, and if you don’t make it, at least put on a show and go balls out.

Effort.

And Kenzo, I ‘liked’ your point, but not what you posted.
    :Rondonod:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    tada likes this.