The Official Tank Thread - 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Feb 12, 2019.

1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

It's not the WORST thing in the world if this team naturally tanks...getting a lotto pick and potentially moving up into the top 3? Can you imagine if that happened?

What would be even funnier is if we won the draft lotto.....league would be ALL up in arms LOLLLLL

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Close one tonight guys, but we did it!!!

3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

[​IMG]

Zion, we're coming for you!!!

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

4. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

We're now in 11th place in the West..... Holy s***

sirronstuff, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  5. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    I'm all in the tank thread. let's get Zion! lol

sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'm completely fine with tanking

what's the point of even making the playoffs and getting massacred by the warriors in rd 1?

sirronstuff, LaVarBallsDad and Khmrp like this.
  7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Getting the young guys some playoff experience would be very important for their development. Even if we get massacred. Personally, as trash as we’ve been, I could see some of our guys having a monster performance and stealing a game.

Would be good to give them some confidence and experience going forward ... while also raising their value with that national spotlight. Look at how people see Tatum. Now imagine Ingram playing the way he has the past several games against the Warriors, even in losses. He’d be declared the GOAT. The young core would look a lot more appealing to prospective free agents.

There are also pro’s to tanking and preserving Lebron while improving our pick. You put yourself in a position to get lucky and change everything.

I don’t know which way I’m leaning towards right now, but yes there definitely would still be value in fighting our way into the playoffs even if we got swept.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if they made the playoffs it would mean things are clicking n they can hang with anyone in the west when they play RIGHT...but NOTHING looks right anywhere, guys are putting up #s but the O looks so hard for everyone, theres rarely any easy buckets not even for james

sirronstuff and Helljumper like this.
  9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Right, in a hypothetical scenario where we make the playoffs, it’s because we put things together. We’re in too deep a hole to just fluke our way into the eighth seed continuing to play the way we have. So yes, that is still the ideal scenario even if we get destroyed by GS.

But for those who are against that idea and want to tank, don’t worry. We’re not putting it together.

sirronstuff, lakerjones and Khmrp like this.
  10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

well this team isn't making the playoffs so

:Lebronsmoking::Brandontea:

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

tank ain't worth s*** now, either. we can improve by 2 spots or so if we try to lose a lot i guess. and this draft isn't very good to my eye.

i guess our pick is going to potentially be better than any pick boston has this summer. so yay.

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We are going to lose a lot. Might as well attempt to add another asset to our youth.

It will come in handy when we attach it on our latest summer offer for AD or in other potential transactions.

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

we got at picking late tho...so maybe blessing in disguise? at least we wont have to bear with another "bust" at #2 lol

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

We're not deliberately tanking and I don't think Lebron would ever get behind that. The problem is we're tanking anyway not on purpose because we just stink. But mainly Lebron is not the same since coming back from injury. He can't flip the switch. Father Time is a b*&^#. Undefeated.

15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I remember, we were all laughing at people saying, we're not making the playoffs. SMH

alam1108, sirronstuff and wcsoldier81 like this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The funny thing about tank threads, and I realize I have repeated this for like 3 years now, is that we don’t have to root for the team to lose for them to lose. They lose because they suck, my rooting one way or the other has zero effect on that. I’ll always remain on rooting for wins and if we lose, we lose, but the rooting for wins doesn’t make us win any more than rooting for losses makes us lose. But, I doubt I’ll be watching many of these final 20 games or so of the season anyway, so I won’t really be rooting for anything. That 13th pick or so isn’t going to be anything special when we miss the playoffs, but hell I guess Magic could use it to get screwed over yet again in another trade.

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    The thing is playoff experience is more valuable for the young guys than the late lottery pick, who usually will be a scrub anyway.

Ya, we might LUCK into someone like Donovan Mitchell but that is very unrealistic to expect.

I would have much rather made the playoffs and lost there than to just lose. The Lakers have simply become a losing franchise with a losing culture, where it is perfectly ok to lose. It didn't use to be like that.

But players don't show the same pride that guys like Fisher, Fox, Horry etc. brought or even Ariza, Gasol, Odom etc...

We have become OK with losing. Ownership with the new FO tried to sell us a new culture of excellence by putting more pressure on the guys and giving them LeBron who is extra pressure to any team. But it hasn't worked out because as they say in Germany...

a fish rots from the head down.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    tada, alam1108, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Spot on IMO. Tanking also only works if you do it ALL the way, you do it for a long time, and you have luck as well. The Cavs tanked and only got arguably 2 of their 3 1st overall picks right, Irving being one, and Wiggins allowing them to trade for Love being 2. But even with Kyrie before LeBron cand back they were garbage. Philly tanked to depths never seen before, and it took getting Simmons, waiting 3 years for Embiid to see the court, and trading for Butler to be contenders again, and they TOO messed up a 1st overall and a 2nd overall with Fultz and Okafor (and even going back to Evan Turner at 2 in 2010 if you want to really analyze how long their rebuild has been).

The Suns have tanked the same amount of years we did too, and where are they even after Booker, Ayton and some other nice picks? One of the worst teams in the league still. Same for the Knicks, same for Minny with all their young talent. The Kings have only recently pulled out of like a decade plus funk this season and even they aren’t guaranteed a playoff spot. It’s much smarter to try and remain a quality franchise that doesn’t tolerate losing or openly try to make it happen than to sell your soul for high picks. You might never get that #1 pick you need in the end, a star might end up going 12th like to Utah. If you instead remain competetive, good players seem to be more open to come join your team. We never tanked in the 90’s, we missed the playoffs one time, and that still competetive and promising young team landed us Shaq. We’ve played this wrong for years now sadly, and I don’t know when or if this franchise will recover to previous levels with its current management and ownership.

tada, alam1108, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  19. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Building a franchise and a culture is ONLY achieved by years of consistently solid basketball decisions and the right players and people treatment.

The Lakers for the past 10 years have always been on some sort of a 3 year plan with radical changes, salary cap and revolutionary FA signings. But greatness isn't achieved through revolution, its achieved through consistent evolution. We have been a gargantuan failure honestly. Only Laker fans might be too blind to realize. We are part of the laughing stock in the NBA for years now.

You look at the Spurs...they are always there, no matter who plays there. All of their great players have retired already and they are still a playoff team.

The Lakers...the 2008 plan (failed because Kobe requested trade)...the 2010 plan (more or less we lucked into Gasol)...the 2014 plan (failed with Dwightmare and Nash)...the "I will retire if we don't contend" by Buss (massiv fail)...the "I will retire if we don't compete in 3 years" by Magic...1 off-season remaining for this fail to become reality.

Organizational greatness isn't achieved by scratching plans and starting new 3 year plans all the time. It doesn't matter if you think you can do it. History has proven you can't and it takes organizational greatness to achieve sustainable greatness. Its all about sustainability which can only be achieved by consistency. We don't f*** get this for whatever reason. Buss needs to look in the mirror and understand she is better off selling. Jerry was a genius, his kids are utter failures as decision makers for the Lakers. Didn't they learn anything from Jerry & Jerry? If you don't learn with all-time great geniuses around you, you probably are not talented at this.

Just to see that we are desperate for an all-star and Russell IS now an all-star shows you what it means to have patience. Its not like we are winning in the meantime. This isn't about Russell...it is about PATIENCE. The journey of a 1000 miles begins with a very simple step.

Pelinka talked extensively when taking over how he wants to have great relationship with players and agents and GMs...what happened? everybody he has dealt with hates him with a passion. Nobody wants to deal with the Lakers, no player wants to come unless we overpay (Rondo, Beasley, Stevenson) and those on the team probably want out themselves...It has been a massive fail.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    tada, raviator, alam1108 and 9 others like this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    terrible and incompetent, remember Jerry West offered to come and got rejected lol

lakerjones, sirronstuff and Kenzo like this.