The Official Tank Thread - 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Feb 12, 2019.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

with how hard others are tanking, we might want to consider the fact that we're probably sitting at 10 or 11 on draft night. the key will be staying that low, though, as we're as close to picking 14th than to picking 8th.

am i in bizarro world? i feel like i had a similar conversation with myself about trying to win just a couple months ago...

2. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Nobody tanking as hard as we do.

We are already playing a g league line up out there with LeBron in and out of the lineup.

We gave up an 11 point lead in 3 minutes to the KNICKS. Nuff said.

bfc1125roy and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

doesn't matter. the teams "ahead" of us are all trying to lose and have a lead. we won't lose out. in fact, we have the nets/wiz/hornets/kings at home the next few games, and a roadie at the hard-tanking pelicans. pair that with the two-game cushion that memphis and dallas have, and the very highest we could hope to climb is 8. we have a very realistic chance of dropping to 13. i don't think sac will catch us--they should be stuck at 14, but anyone else can.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mean, we can do this. Caruso, Bonga, Wagner, Williams, KCP...we have the horses to get this done.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Someone in the press said Memphis wants to win in order to convert their pick this year. This is smart, as protections decline, and they're going to be bad for a while.

So, if they try to win, that might help us move up a spot higher than I thought. No way Dallas lets us catch them, though. We'd have to start resting Caruso or something.

6. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Dallas is definitely our limit that’s for sure.

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we aren’t getting any higher than Dallas. We have a shot to pass NO, Washington, and MAYBE Memphis and that’s it. That would put us 7th worst, which is fine I guess, I really don’t care I’m not watching another game this season.

sirronstuff, abeer3 and Lakeshow85 like this.
  8. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Lol, we’re still in the playoff race.
    :Laugh:

We will clinch the “non-playoff seed” with a loss or a Clippers win.
    :Lukewaltonlook:

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  9. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Well I hope Memphis does NOT convert their pick as that would give the C Bags another first round pick and WALLA, they have 4 first round picks this year (9th pick from MEM, 14th pick from Kings, 18th pick from Clippers, and 22nd pick from their own pick).

Actually as I'm thinking about this....4 first round picks in the SAME draft is NOT good especially when this draft is TOP heavy and none of these picks are in the top 3. Then again, if NOP takes all these picks from Boston, they could find a team that could presumably take these picks or they can trade these picks for future picks.

As far as us tanking goes...we have a realistic shot at 8th, but probably won't drop to 6th.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

We want those picks to convey all at once to Boston, imo. Mem's pick gains value next year and beyond. Sac being good killed them this year. :Magic2:

11. fabfourlakers

Yup good call....and as of right now...there's actually a good chance that happens if Memphis continues to win.

I'd love nothing more than to see Boston have to select 4 players in the upcoming draft without knowing if Kyrie is staying or leaving and then trying to convince New Orleans to take 4 guys from this past draft, none of which will be top 3 prospects...and none of which the Pelicans will have selected themselves.

And you're right...the MEM future pick would be more valuable than the potential 9th/10th pick in this year's draft. We'll have to make sure that we finish 7th or 8th though ahead of Memphis if they slip to 9th (in which case the pick conveys to BOS).

Alcindor, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  12. fabfourlakers

Looking at the schedules for Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Washington, Charlotte, Orlando, Minny, Sacramento and Los Angeles....here's where I see everyone ending up:

6. Dallas - 30-52
    7. Memphis - 32-50
    8. LA Lakers - 34-48
    9. New Orleans - 34-48 (owns tiebreaker over LAL)
    10. Minnesota - 34-48 (also owns tiebreaker over LAL)
    11. Washington - 35-47
    12. Charlotte - 36-46
    13. Orlando - 38-44
    14. Sacramento - 42-40

Things can change for Memphis if they upset a few teams here and there but I don't see them getting 7 more wins this year, which is what they'll likely need for their pick to convey to the C Bags.

of course, I'm banking on us likely winning a few of these games at home coming up. The 3 games to watch for the Lakers are the following:

vs Wizards
    vs Hornets
    @Pelicans

We absolutely need to lose these games if we want any shot at being 8th. We will probably finish in the 8-10 range with a possibility of going as low as 12th if we really mess up down the stretch and upset a few teams that we're not supposed to beat. I hope Lakers know what the odds are if you go from 12th to 8th in the draft...your odds of ending up in the top 4 jump up 20% from 12th to 8th, and odds to land #1 overall go up nearly 5% with that same jump. Lakers have disappointed us all year, but they have a real chance at righting this ship a bit by getting a pick in the single digits this year, which if you had told me we'd have a shot at that beginning of the year, i'd tell you that you're crazy.

Lakeshow85, Alcindor, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  13. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Well MEM just did is a favour beating HOU

14. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

pffft, Memphis is 6-4 last 10 games and we are 1-9. Ain't no way they gonna out-chump us. We've been in the tank playoffs the last 5 years, down the stretch, our experience is going to make the difference. Stay in your lane MEM, we got this.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

their schedule is pretty rough, though, even if they're trying to win. they have to make a choice (maybe they already have?). they could shore up a higher pick if they just sat conley and lost out (which would happen). the problem is that, as fabfour pointed out, it will take a lot of winning to get them out of the top 8, and the worst possible spot for them to finish this year is 8. if i were them, i'd kick the tank into full gear and get below dallas (i think they play dallas twice in a row near the end of the year, which should be hilarious).

not sure what NO's doing. they really needn't be winning, and they're not playing davis much, particularly in winning time, but they're winning. they and washington could definitely jump us, and that's what i'm hoping for at this point.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

minnesota shut down rose, covington, and teague for the season.

they're in it to win (lose) it.

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

This is a sad, pathetic thread. Seriously. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

sirronstuff and Lakeshow85 like this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yes, but we are fans of a sad, pathetic team.

tada, JSM, ElginTheGreat and 7 others like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

them the brakes....

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

This is actually the best thread on the site right now - if Sirron were here, he'd agree with me...:Noddingyes::Laugh: