The Official Mma/ufc Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by Barnstable, Oct 5, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I guess I can agree with this, but at the same time, if Connor had won I wouldn't be saying that Floyd is 49-0, I'd be saying "F** YES! That piece of filth lost!"

Barnstable and Kenzo like this.
  2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Dude, Connor landed more punches on Floyd through 10 rounds than many other HOF boxers did through 12. Connor had some glaring things he needs to work on, but he did about 75% of things very well. His timing, ability to use distance, come at angles and switch stances with flawless footwork both offensively and defensively surprised the hell out of the announcers and Floyd. IMO Floyd was frustrated and a little worried out there for a millisecond or two. His completely turning his back to Connor wasn't intentional and was due to desperation. A more experienced fighter makes him pay dearly for that. Floyd was never hurt in this fight but I guarantee you he and his corner were praying for him to gas or a decision might be interesting.

3. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Best part of the broadcast was Malignaggi talking about PBF using "tactics" to hug, hold, and literally back into Connor, and Mauro and the other announcer who is a boxing guy shaming Paulie and pointing out it was low class and it was cause Connor was landing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    TIME, therealdeal, Barnstable and 2 others like this.
  5. Punk-101

Paulie: "He's not turning his back"
    All other announcers in stereo: "YES HE IS!!!!"

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I just got to watch a replay.

Connor was very uncomfortable and unprepared for Mayweather to come forward the whole fight and press into him. He wanted him at length, and Mayweather wisely took away that advantage. I think that really took more out of Connor than he anticipated.

Overall, I was impressed he was landing punches even in the later rounds. Never looked like he had Mayweather in serious trouble at all, but he kept ending up on his backside which seemed kind of weak.

I'd have liked him to use that move the awesome Russian fighter uses where he steps to the site and tees off to the head or the body. Once Mayweather knew that he had limited punches, it looked like he loaded up his defense against the uppercuts as well. Nothing else was getting through that clean besides jabs on occasion.

Overall, nothing to be ashamed of, but he was definitely outclassed in the discipline of boxing. And it would have been a terrible idea to be in there with a younger fighter who could have caused more damage. I agree with the ref stopping it when he did. Even if Mayweather wasn't landing big shots cleanly, he was still teeing off, and McGregor did not look like he was going to recover. It wasn't going to get any better most likely.

And as much as I hate it, to be fair to Floyd, I think his game plan opened him up to taking a few more punches than normal. Connor did a great job, but if he was in the normal Mayweather snooze fest mode, he probably connects on fewer punches.

John3:16 and Weezy like this.
  7. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    I kept waiting for McGregor to sweep the leg. He looked like he had intentions and had to remind himself its boxing. But the fight was actually ok. Mcgregors best chance to win was to try to knock mayweather out before round 5 or 6. I knew his stamina wasnt gonna be great when it got to the later rounds. Good fight overall

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

@sirron

"Connor was very uncomfortable and unprepared for Mayweather to come forward the whole fight and press into him. He wanted him at length, and Mayweather wisely took away that advantage. I think that really took more out of Connor than he anticipated."

The first 3 rounds weren't like that. Just picking a nit.

[​IMG]

9. sirronstuff

He tried to move forward the whole fight, but was effectively blocking most of the punches. Maybe I saw things differently watching the first time already knowing the outcome.

10. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

In 1-3 Connor landed more, out countered him, and landed better shots. In 4 PBF started to put the pieces together, but I think he lost the round. Those judges scores were laughable. But in round 5 it went down hill quick as PBF solved the puzzle and Connor's cardio quit.

TIME, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's what I saw differently. The early rounds it was Conor moving forward and dictating their position in the ring. That said, that was part of Mayweather's camp's plan for the early rounds from what they said later, to let Conor be the aggressor early and throw punches and tire himself for the later rounds where he had never fought for as many minutes.

sirronstuff and Kingsama like this.
  12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I would like to see these two guys fight it out UFC style. :Brows:

Wonder if Floyd would actually last two minutes...

13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

If that was MMA it would end in the 1st round and unless Connor was feeling gentlemenly like Couture vs Toney, it would end with horrific ground and pound. PBF would be hurt bad.

John3:16, sirronstuff and Punk-101 like this.
  14. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

If this was MMA, it would last 15 seconds. Connor would get him in a hold and it would be over.

therealdeal and John3:16 like this.
  15. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I was wondering if it would go a minute. I think you're closer to being right than the 1 minute mark. 30 seconds max.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

he was definitely winning the battle, but Floyd kept putting himself in position to take those shots. Conor was keeping him at bay with volume of shots early, but as he tired, Mayweather kept coming forward. It made Conor start to back up in order to keep distance to get his shots off he wanted.

Once Conor tired further, Mayweather was in his chest. It was brilliant strategy by Mayweather. Reminded me a bit of Holyfield / Foreman. Holyfield stayed inside and punished George, and made sure to stay out of range for a full length shot where George was most dangerous. Mayweather is so good at dodging and blocking though, he was able to let Conor blow his load and come inside with fewer punches being thrown.

Conor is NOT an efficient boxer. With a few more bouts and practice in distance fights, he would have given Mayweather an even tougher fight. Clinched, leaned on him, muscled him around instead of backing up to get distance. I guarantee he'd fight differently knowing what he knows now, but with a few fights under his belt, this is a much closer match. It wouldn't be unthinkable that he could have won a decision, but the referee scorecards????

Boxing HAS TO FIX their judge problem. It's terrible.

Punk-101 likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

depends how fast he could run lol

18. Punk-101

In the octagon it'd go a full round. Just cause Connor would be toying with him, chopping him down with leg kicks, taking him down with ease and slapping his a** just to humiliate him.

John3:16 likes this.
  19. Punk-101

These clowns have been more annoying in their gloating, seeing the fight through confirmation-biased lenses. I thought Skip was totally over the top in his defense of Connor, which is part of his act, but he took Shannon to school this morning. Shannon sounded like he saw a completely different fight, refusing to give connor any credit. At the end of the segment, Shannon let slip the slur "MM-gay". I hope others caught it because that's a very unprofessional and dumb thing to say, not to mention fine-worthy, as a media member using "gay" as a derogotory term.

Cowturd was insufferable this morning, basically saying Floyd "let connor" have his early success as a totally controlled rope-a-dope for 5 rounds. I think there's some truth to this, but believe me there was no "letting him". Connor was "doing to him", causing Floyd to adjust and IMO, go into desperation mode a few times, swinging and missing like we've never seen him do and turning his back completely because he was so confused and desperate. Idiot Cowturd compared connors boxing stance to popeye, mocking him. Uh, idiot, it wasn't an amateur not knowing how to stand in a boxing stance, it was an experienced fighter in a karate stance. The worst comment from Cowturd though was about boxing being a "layered sweet science", requiring chess like adjustments and its more thinking than just fighting. I totally agree with that until his comparison to MMA having "a little strategy" but mostly "just trying to kill the other guy". Uh, doofus, as beautiful and chess-like boxing is, MMA is even more so. I don't need to go into it, but holy-ish, the complexities of jujitsu alone is more than boxing.

/rant

20. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I watched that crap show too... Shannon Sharp is as dumb as Skipper...Both out to lunch. I was surprised at the balance of Stephen A., Kellermen, and most importantly Ward had high praise for Connor.

And yes that was totally MM"Gay" out of Shannon's mouth.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    sirronstuff and Punk-101 like this.