The Official Byron Scott Coach Thread 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

jerryr88, therealdeal and Agent Red like this.
  2. Agent Red

Agent Red - Rookie -

Thanks for the vid. I think Scott is great for this team mainly for the young guys. He will instal a sense of pride and work ethic needed to evolve as a player at an elite level. With Kobe buying into the system/style I see great things happening. I'm not talking championship things but chemistry, development, pride in your job, ext. Installing a work ethic and giving rookie no free rides to me is key out the gate. I hope Randle buys into this old school mentality and realizes the history, honor and privilege to where the purple and gold.

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I loved the Backstage: Lakers newest episode which aired tonight. Showed Byron and Kobe mic'd up a little during the first practice of training camp. If you ever needed an example of how serious Byron is about getting these guys in the right frame of mind right before the Lakers huddled to start practice he told Kobe to cut his shirt in for him.

The man means business and I absolutely love it. I also love the fact that he does a lot of the old school/fundamental drills that you usually see in high school and in college. May Byron have a long and prosperous career as Head Coach of the Lakers.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Love how he's not afraid to tell our star-player to tuck his shirt in. Love how he calls our star-player by his old nickname, "Showboat". I don't think there's anyone else in the league (besides PJ, of course) that could run this team at this point in time and do justice to the Purple and Gold. Go B!

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That motivational speech is perfect. I know a lot of guys won't listen to that, but younger guys are more prone to it. Randle and Clarkson need to understand it. They need to get it.

I'd love if guys from the 80s would come around every now and then and encourage them. Bring the rings around. Give them everything they need to realize the history of this team doesn't have to be a history. It can be a future too if they play their cards right.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

This is why I think Byron is a nice fit for us besides his incredible Lakers career and alum status, he's tough, no nonsense, and I feel like we need that after Mike Clown and 'Antoni's antics.

gcclaker likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Regarding Backstage, is Kelli Tennant (sp?) the same gal that was doing it last year, who was new from who had had that position the first year.?

Regarding Byron, I've been wondering if these teams' players he supposedly lost on 2 or 3 clubs was because of personality or just the sheer intensity of his training regimens, especially if they got to mid season or later with no chance to do anything. To still be pushed that hard I would imagine would wear on "lesser" players. Just a thought. Wondering if it was more about the physical rather than his personality.

Like what I'm seeing so far though.

8. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

Kelli Tennant and Jaime Maggio both still work for TWC. They alternate when they're working. I believe Jaime is working the MLB Playoffs right now for TBS.

[​IMG]

9. Sipnotic

Sipnotic - Rookie -

Byron has to do a better job at making sure guys crash the boards, and I'm not just talking about front court players. I know Boozer has to roam around the midrange area on the offensive end, but there's no reason why he shouldn't immediately go for boards after the shot is up. We dug ourselves a big hole in the first half.

My second observation from preseason game 2 was our horrid shot selection. We did a terrible job at attacking the basket and took way too many midrange shots.

Third observation: Defensive rotations took a step back from what we saw in game 1. I don't understand why our guys kept going under the screen on a great shooter like Thompson. We have to know who we're playing...

Also, is it just me or are we setting weak screens? Both game 1 and 2 I've noticed that we're not setting strong picks, which doesn't allow the dribbler to get to the teeth of the defense.

I know, I know, it's only preseason!!

10. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

Your last sentence sums up your entire post. Relax.

trodgers likes this.
  11. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

Clarkson should have never been put on Thompson last night. That lasted way too long.

From what I saw defensively...the rotations that Byron has the team doing...as seen in the shell drill from Backstage Lakers & Real Training Camp...well it's going to result in a ton of wide open 3 balls. Way too much movement and switching for us to be able to close out on time.

Throw the ball into the post, throw it back out to the point guard at the top of the key, guard on the wing opposite where the ball entered the post will be wide open unless our defensive players cheat.

12. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Byron has been a breathe of fresh air for me. After attempting to be hopeful with Brown, and flat out lying to myself in an attempt to remain hopeful with D'Antoni having a coach that talks about actual basketball and seems to be willing to stand up against his players to stress D, hard work, being in shape, and anti chucking is settling. Its still going to be a long year, and this team has a ton of room for growth, but Byron for the most part is setting a foundation for winning basketball.

@Wiz the shell drill really isn't meant to teach defensive philosophy nor defensive strategy. It is to develop a team ability to communicate, play help defense, understand each others strengths/weaknesses and learn to compensate as a team.

lakerjones, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Are these 2 just from last year and this year, or from year 1 through this..... the 3rd year. I've lost track honestly. Have always more or less "liked" whoever was doing the female in studio position.

14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

No one likes to lose even in preseason but, this is a good ammunition game for Byron to use. Some of the match ups would not have lasted that long or even been at all in a regular season game but for some of guys, especially Clarkson, it is good to guard the better players. Now when Byron preaches rotations he can show them exactly what happens when you don't and it didn't cost anything.

15. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

The defensive shell drive was the same defense
    I understand it's a drill.

But I'm re-watching the game and they're playing defense the same way they were in the shell drill during training camp and it's led to 2 or 3 wide open 3 pointers in the 1st quarter

16. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

two thoughts.
    its preseason and part of that process is working on those rotations. A steep goal considering the coaching staff of last year.

its better to give up some open threes than some open layups.

17. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

[​IMG]

(If this violates the rules, i will change)

18. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

I think that with time if the players buy into what b.scott is preaching they will eventually "get it" and realize what it is they must do to be successful out on the court

The vets kobe nash and boozer are also doing a great job assisting the rookies in the "little" things we've already heard from lin and clarkson how kobe points out things they never even thought about. That's always a good thing.

Some people arent expecting anything from this team but i believe that they will surprise this year. Maybe not a championship but definitely can make noise in the playoffs and upset some higher seeds, and that will be a product of the learning and growth with b.scott and will help in the next couple of seasons

19. LTLakerFan

It violates 'Antoni's rules [​IMG] ..... no sweat the S.O.B. is gone gone gone [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Snake Eyes and jerryr88 like this.
  20. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I'm not worried about the rotations per say, such as Sacre playing over Davis, cause that will work its way out...

But I am worried about Byron managing minutes. He played Nash the whole 1st quarter and Price the whole 2nd. Why not 7 Nash 5 Price, 7 Price 5 Nash?

jerryr88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.