The Most Currently Up To Date Projected '18 Lakers Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by SFGOLDRUSHER, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    I keep hearing he might be on par with Caulie-Stein when it comes to defensive ability. If that's the case I hope it works out.

trodgers and lakerjones like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Different players. Cauley-Stein is more of a pick and roll defender who can switch everything and guard multiple positions. Upshaw is a great rim protector.

trodgers and Tragic like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

With about another month to go before the Lakers open training camp, now is as good a time as any to take a quick review of where the team’s roster currently stands. With the recent signing of Jonathan Holmes, the Lakers have 15 players under contract:

Guards and Wings

• D’Angelo Russell
    • Jordan Clarkson
    • Kobe Bryant
    • Lou Williams
    • Nick Young
    • Jabari Brown
    • Anthony Brown
    • Michael Frazier
    Power Forwards

• Julius Randle
    • Brandon Bass
    • Ryan Kelly
    • Larry Nance Jr.
    • Jonathan Holmes
    Centers

• Roy Hibbert
    • Tarik Black
    • Robert Sacre
    Of the 15 players above, Tarik Black and Jabari Brown have non-guaranteed contracts for next year while Jonathan Holmes’ deal is only partially guaranteed. Per Eric Pincus, that partial amount is $100K on his two year minimum contract*.

I expect the Lakers to add anywhere from three to five additional players when the team starts training camp. Of those players, I would imagine at least one would be a point guard (Bobby Brown?), one to be another wing, and one to be a big man who can play center.

The name which was not mentioned above, but fits into the mix of positions to be looked at further, is Robert Upshaw. The big man reportedly agreed to a contract with the Lakers during summer league, but the longer that deal remains unsigned, one has to wonder if there are real holdups that may compromise that agreement. However, until we have real news on the item, I do believe it’s better to take a wait and see approach.

All in all, the Lakers’ roster is relatively balanced, though it is a bit shallow at point guard and small forward. If injuries were to occur at either of those positions, the team would likely need to slide a player into a role that’s not his natural spot in order to plug a hole. All things considered, then, a trade to sure up one or both of those spots is still a possibility — especially if it’s a deal that either brings back a player who can help fill a need or one which opens up a roster spot that can be used to ink a free agent or create some flexibility for a future move.

Of course, there is still time for other moves to shake out. The Holmes signing came out of nowhere and there could certainly be another move which surprises just like that one did.

*When the initial report came out that Holmes was signed, it was noted he had a “significant” guarantee on his contract. However, while $100K is a nice amount of money to an undrafted rookie, I do not think it would give Holmes a leg up over either of Brown or Black simply due to money. The Lakers, I do not believe, would have any issues cutting Holmes if other players show more worth to the team in the short and/or long term.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2015/08/15/quick-look-where-the-lakers-roster-currently-stands/

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  4. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Bringing this out of the dead .

Russell and Moz out, Lopez in. Extra 1st-#27 with now back to back first round picks.

Swaggy has his option due today. Hope he opts in. Soooo, current depth chart?

Clarkson/Ennis
    Swaggy/Brewer/Nwaba
    Ingram/Deng
    Randle/Nance/Robinson
    Lopez/Black/Zu

Ofcourse, theres Paul George discussions taking place. AND we have #2,#27,#28 to add to the roster. Not bad at all.

5. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^not bad? LOL.

You think some late first rounders and a 19 year old will make this team any good?

so much trash on this team...LA won 26 games last year, mostly because of Williams and Russell...

this year they will be back to around 20 wins and continue to be a joke.

alam1108 likes this.
  6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Just have to insert Bron and PG in there and they will be alright.:Laugh:

7. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    DUMPSTER FIRE

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

IF that's where our off-season ends and that's the team we trot out next season, Boston will be getting another very high lottery pick.

alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  9. therealdeal

The depth chart will be:

Ball/(27)/Ennis
    Clarkson/Nwaba
    Ingram/Deng/(28)
    Randle/Nance Jr.
    Lopez/Zubac/Black

So far I don't think that team is worse than last year. It'll be a 30 win team or so. I'd like to see Clarkson out and George in...

10. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm excited about these team especially if we draft some dynamos

11. Weezy

You honestly think that team wins 30 games? Lou Williams and be Russell IMO were the main reason we got to 26 last season. I don't see it, Lopez is decent, but it hasn't added up to wins as Brooklyn won 21 and 20 games the last 2 seasons, and I like Ball a lot, but I don't think he immediately adds wins. I think that team is worse than the roster that we started this past season with.

kdctran, KB24 and Helljumper like this.
  12. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

If our roster is that come opening night, we are not winning more games than this year, we would need to put Dung in a time machine to win 30 games.

Kenzo and Weezy like this.
  13. therealdeal

Yeah I do think they win 30 games. I think Lopez will be a pleasant surprise. I think Ball adds value and I think the rest comes on increased development and expectations. We're no longer tanking at any point this upcoming season. I think some of the close games become wins with more experience and a reliable guy like Lopez who is a 20 ppg guy. If you think about it 30 wins is just 4 more games.

Do you think Russell's value is that much greater than or even equal to Lopez and Ball?

Toklat and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. Weezy

No, I think Russell and Lou Williams value is greater or equal to theirs. We did a lot of our winning with Lou, if not the majority. You send that roster minus Lou from last season out and our win total is in the teens. I appreciate optimism, real, but that roster is awful. I like Ball a lot, but we have no idea what his impact on wins and losses will be yet, and while Lopez can score, he's not a defender in the slightest and he's a pathetic rebounder for a 7 footer. If we don't add George for cheap, that roster is lucky to win 20 games unless Ingram breaks out, Ball is awesome, we find some hidden gem at 27/28, and Deng is brought back from the dead.

15. therealdeal

Driving now but I'll set ya right in a couple hours. ;)

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Set me right too. Cause I'm with Weezy. With no PG-13 trade, that team is at about the same win total as last year. Ball AND Ingram would have to play out of their minds. Randle would have to improve his play as much as he improved his body. That team will get slaughtered on a nightly basis. Even with PG-13 swapped out for Clarkson, that team probably only gets 35-38 wins.

Weezy likes this.
  17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Weezy has basically written what I would have written.

18. therealdeal

Alright here we go.

Last season the Lakers ended with a 26-56 record, correct?

The Lakers stopped playing Timofey Mozgov on 2/6/17 and they took Luol Deng out of the starting lineup on 2/6/17. Luol stopped playing altogether on 2/28/17. The Lakers traded Lou Williams on 2/23/17 to Houston for a 1st round pick. Let's say that the catalyst for their "tank" was the Lou Williams trade. We played 24 games after the "tank" was officially, undeniably on. That's almost a third of the year we played guys out of position or gave bad players more time in order to "grow" knowing full well it'd cost us games. I have to think we'd have won at least couple more games in that time with or without Lou Williams just based on the fact we'd have a set rotation that we're not actively trying to lose with. Tyler Ennis played almost 40 minutes twice for us. That should never happen. David Nwaba played over 30 minutes for us twice. That should never happen.

That brings me to my next point: Lou Williams cost us as many games as he won. How many times did we get to the fourth and Lou came up short? More often than when we won games I would say and it was a frequent point of contention: was he helping or hurting us by barring the young their moments to shine. I would call Lou's value a push and what we're talking about now is the difference in Lou Williams/D'Angelo Russell and Brook Lopez/Lonzo Ball. I think in terms of scoring, no question the former is better. In terms of overall basketball, I think the latter is probably better if not equal. We've yet to see Lonzo on the floor, but I think two things translate fairly quickly if nothing else at all: less turnovers and an outside jumper. Lou Williams rarely impacted anything other than scoring and if he was off he was a massive net negative. While it's fair that we can't really quantify Lonzo and Brook Lopez hasn't moved the needle, personally I believe this is also a net couple of wins. I believe it's easier to look for Brook Lopez down the stretch of games than Lou Williams. Lou requires an incredibly difficult perimeter game based mostly on fouls to make things work. Brook Lopez is a guy who shoots 67% at the rim and 80% at the FT line. Brook also shot better in late quarter situations as well as in the 4th quarters of games. I say this is a net couple of games.

The other factor of course is simple growth. I believe (assuming no more trades) that Randle, Ingram, and Clarkson come back better than a year ago. I believe Nance Jr. and Zubac come back better than a year ago. I believe a team not in transitions of leadership improves their culture. I believe all of that together equals at least one freaking game. We had 23 losses of less than 10 points. Those games can swing either way and with another year under the belt for certain players, I believe they take a couple more of those types of games.

Thus: I believe an increase in 4 games, just 4 games over an 82 game season, just 5% of the year, can be ours with that lineup. To go from 26 wins to 30 wins subtracting really just D'Angelo and to a lesser extent Williams who wasn't here all year and adding Lonzo Ball and Brook Lopez is nothing to roll your eyes at. Could they do worse? Sure it's possible, but it's not crazy to think they could do better as well.

Toklat, LTLakerFan, KRL and 1 other person like this.
  19. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

^
    Ball only 35-40 wins

Ball + PG then 45+ wins and playoffs!

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Fixed it. I can't wait to see our center rotation skillfully overpower most teams' rotations. I know I said that last year way prematurely but this is different. One year more progress Zubac and Black and Lopez >>>> Mozgov.