The Do It Yourself Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davriver209, Dec 26, 2017.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    So I know some of us here, have home projects and have some experience in handling these types of things. Thought I'd make this kinda thread to assist not only myself, but other members if theyre as clueless as me when it comes to home improvement.

So my question, my house is an older home (1927) and it tends to get pretty cold and I have a hard time getting it to stay at around 69-71 degrees. I put in new windows, hardwood floors amongst other upgrades. Thing is, its getting way too pricey, and I feel I can save lots of money by trying to tackle it on my own. So, I wanna use the spray foam insulation, has anyone had any problems, good outcomes with the thing? Besides the obvious health hazards, is there anything else I should educate myself before deciding to insulate my crawlspace with this stuff?

And also, does weather stripping for doors help alot?

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don’t have anything to add, I just love a good movie quote. Carry on.

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I had a house that had copper pipes burst during a freeze several years ago. The lines burst in the attic and ran for 4 days while I was out of town. Those lines ran through the attic, and when they burst, they took the ceiling and insulation with them. Half of the house had to have it replaced.

At the time, business was booming, and one of my guys asked me if I was going to go back with spray foam insulation. It was the first I'd heard of it. Researched it, took the plunge, and did it. It was NOT cheap. but that change, along with new double pain windows lowered my ugly electrical bill from highs in the $500-$600 range down to the mid $200's at the time. To be fair, I did not compare electricity rates, but those were the changes made between being out of the house for a year, and then returning.

the crew who did it came with a big rig. There were two 55 gallon drums with a high pressure spray hose as part of it, and it mixed the substances together as it shot into the attic. I can't imagine this is a do it yourself project.

I patched a couple of spots they missed with spray foam cans, and that was a massive and freaking waste of time.

Bottom line: I'm sold on spray foam, and your attic will never be more than 10 degrees higher or lower than what is in your house. It really works well. Leaks can still come through, but you won't know from where if you ever have a leaky roof. Hope that helps.

4. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Gotcha, so by pricey, how much are we talking? I bought some fiberglass insulation for under my house, my floor is really cold to the touch and I figure its from the crawlspace underneath where there is no insulation at all.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Was it Owens Corning fiberglass insulation?

I’m sorry, but you keep tying my hands here man.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    It’s been quite awhile, but I think I spent $20k+ on 3600sq ft
    Figured a 10 year payback
    It was good stuff, and recommend getting a couple of quotes