Texans Knee In Wake Of Owner's Comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by MonsterMash32, Oct 29, 2017.

1. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

First of all, isn't the saying supposed to be "we can't have the inmates running asylum"? That's the only version I've heard and it's somewhat less offensive, although still contextually stupid.

Second of all, what an idiotic thing to say. Not just because it's so insensitive, but the timing of it is just asinine. This situation was almost squashed and the NFL almost had enough to move on and then he's got to open his dumb mouth and say something like that? Moron! The other owners must be livid.

Third of all, it's sort of silly to use the kneeing as a way to get back at the owner, but I understand it. I would probably support them more if they did something more direct towards the owner, but I understand what they're doing. The owner is an idiot for saying that. Sure what he meant probably isn't what he said, but you just cannot open your fat mouth in that moment. The crisis is almost done burning out and you go throw some extra gasoline on it.

sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  3. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

I agree with that. The kneeling thing was almost successfully on the back burner. Hopefully other owners will learn from this and it will die down. I'm sure a lot of people don't want that but for the league, it was for the best.

I think a lot of people are going to say what I said about it. The method of the protest will be a topic as well as the message.

therealdeal likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm in support of speaking out for things that you're passionate about. I've never been a fan of the platform they're using. It feels like there should be better platforms, it feels like they could make a difference off the field instead of taking something else for their own moment. That being said, after hearing their side, I understand the move even if I don't like it.

Still, this has become a massive distraction and a problem for the NFL. They're losing money and viewership and fans by the millions. There's a lot of stories of people who have just given up on football because of the way this has been handled. The players need to understand they're not seeing the forest for the trees. It's great they stand for something they're passionate about, but it's about to cost them (and of course the owners) a lot of money. Loss of viewership means lower tv deals means less money for the league. Are you really willing to sacrifice your own livelihood, and the livelihood of the league, for this cause? The NFL already is dealing with major problems (PR from awful people in the league, concussions, etc). This could be a deathblow that they just can't afford.

The NFL was about to make a sacrifice of giving them their own week or their own month maybe even to speak about what they need to speak about. Now that process has been paused. Way to go owner.

5. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The NFL owners are losing money.

The players are mad at the owners for not supporting them.

I have a solution: the players split the cost of lost revenue with the owners.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    There is no place for a violent sport like football in today's world. I'd much rather watch MMA.

John3:16 likes this.