Steve Ballmer: We've Been Kicking The Lakers' a**

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, Jun 2, 2017.

1. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

This is not surprising at all with Magic & Rob taking over.. I just hate that it's the Clippers.

Barnstable and sirronstuff like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Just happened to be on KFI while driving and heard them taking. It was Gary that said it of the Gary and Shannon show. Both these people did news prior to their talk gig. (Kobe shrug)

Maybe Rob did not want?? That doesn't seem likely ... Jeanie and or Magic you'd think would override any hesitancy like that.

3. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Well I guess with Pelinka in place West Jr. would have left anyway in the coming years. It's not perfect news but we'll be alright. Clips still gonna be Clips. If the reup CP3 and an injury prone Blake there is only so much they can do. And Jerry is not gonna be around forever and doing this. Also so many egos in there with Doc, Balmer, West ... I see more of a power struggle the next 1-2 years honestly. And by that time we gonna be ahead of them in many ways.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

Jerry willing to get in and roll around in an organization that has Clippers stink AND C Bags stink.

:DNO2:

Helljumper and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i thought when magic+pelinka were brought in that part of the plan was to get ryan west more involved?

now i'm hearing that west and pelinka aren't on good terms?

:Randallconfused:

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Jerry West is apparently (according to a non-sports radio source) not on good terms with Pelinka. Ryan West is apparently on fine terms with everyone in the FO.

Also, just for the record: Ryan West isn't gone yet. If you were part of the group that started the turnaround of the franchise, wouldn't you want to see that process through? I feel like a promotion and a pay increase (maybe the highest paid Assistant GM in the NBA if we have to go there) could keep Ryan around. That all remains to be seen.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

I just got in and tried a number of searches to see if I could find anything about dislike between Jerry West and Rob Pelinka but so far nothing.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Yeah what scares me is maybe it's just because his name is West and he learned growing up on scouting road trips with Pops, the Master, what to look for to find NBA talent, but my bet is Ryan was more of a star in that arena with these more recent years than Jesse Buss? But maybe that's not fair since Jesse had title of Director of Scouting?

[​IMG]

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

So will they put clipper jersey on his statue for home games?

10. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I'm still holding out hope SA convinces CP3 to join them but with this news chances aren't great. It's basically gonna be Pop vs Jerry West in recruiting power and we've seen what West has done already. And yeah West joining the clips is highly irritating but it is what it is. I respect that he wanted to finish his career with the Lakers which would have been fantastic but can't hate on him for taking on another challenge. Just wish it hadn't been with the annoying tenants.

Helljumper likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This is more damning IMO than not getting Jerry

13. LTLakerFan

Well as I asked in the discussion about the Jesse Buss / Rob scouting article, yeah IF he has been playing a really important role in the quality of our draft pics the last several years. The title of Director of Scouting / Asst. GM is Jesse's but how many would guess that Jesse has the keener eye than Ryan since the latter grew up with Pops learning to evaluate basketball talent. In August of 2015 Mitch promoted Ryan from Asst. Director of Scouting to Director of Player Personnel. Not sure what that encompasses and how much we lose? If Rob's as good as we think he's supposed to be, we have GM covered for next decade or more anyway. Ryan I always felt at some point would be poached to be a GM somewhere else if the title and money were thrown at him.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I think Mitch was grooming Ryan to be the next GM and since we hired Rob who is a rookie and still pretty young, I think Ryan takes this opportunity to join his dad as GM. It would suck but it makes complete sense to me.

Kenzo and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  15. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    And that's fine by me if West doesn't wanna join forces in a unity party with say Rob/Magic calling the last shots. You have to pick an overall direction.
    Jeanie and Kobe seem to support the move so losing West doesn't mean I'll be losing sleep lol.

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

We can't worry/dwell about what others do or who they hire as much as we love that person. We have our s**t to pull together. I don't like it but if you want to be the best or aspire to be the best, then beat the best. It's a challenge for them as much as it is for us.

17. LTLakerFan

What does Ryan's position of Director of Player Personnel have him responsible for with the Lakers? He was given that in 2015 after being Asst. Director of Scouting.

18. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I have a question I haven't seen asked... Why is West leaving GS? No more challenge? BS. They don't want to pay him? What?

He may have left to groom his son, and that means Clippers have an agreement from Ryan in place -- otherwise West wouldn't have signed.

I refuse to believe that he is doing it that to help the Clippers, or out of some "challenge" stuff. The man is 80 and it was too much challenge for him with us -- nearly 20 years ago.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    i heard he also wanted to work closer to home

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

On the flip side of that, wouldn't Ryan want to finish the challenge he started? I feel like a competitor would like to see this thing finished out when the Lakers get back on top.

I think you're right though in some ways. I have a feeling part of this was exactly so his son could get a clearer shot at a GM job since the Lakers just hired a young-ish guy in Pelinka. Incidentally, it's completely possible that the Lakers still keep Ryan. It's not as if Ryan is an old guy either. If the Lakers break out the bank roll and keep grooming him to be their GM, I feel like he could stay. Magic is no spring chicken either. I could see him, if we turn it around within 5 years, stepping down and letting Pelinka take that role. Then Ryan West could step into the GM role. He'd still be a young GM even then.

We'll see though.

gcclaker and ZenMaster like this.