Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The last 3rd of that movie might be my favorite Star Wars act of all time.

Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I still remember Rogue One vividly despite only seeing it when it came out. Thought it was the superior movie compared to Episode 7.

3. therealdeal

I think Episode 7 is a better movie, but Rogue One had some of the more memorable scenes Star Wars has ever had.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I actually think Rogue One might be better, but Episode 7 has more rewatchability. The thing with episode 7 though is it's strength or weakness as a film will partially rest on what they do going forward with 8 and 9. If it's the first step into a giant pile of crap, then it will lose a lot of it's "luster."

5. therealdeal

To each their own. I just feel like the first 2/3s of Rogue One don't have a cohesiveness that you need to tell a great story. Episode 7 might be a glorified remake of Episode 4, but it's a solid movie still that flows well. In Rogue One there's lots of lulls and weird moments (squid monster?), but the highs it reaches are astounding.

6. Savory Griddles

I agree there are problems with Rogue One's story telling. For me, the movie sort of begins when Jyn Erso and the gang go to that rainy planet to "rescue" her Dad. The opening scene with her family is good, then it's a really weird trip to Jedah, a telepathic squid, just like it's a different movie.

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Its story development for the characters we just met and their eventual downfall that stuck with me.
    I agree with Savory, 7 gets a new light shined on it depending how 8 and 9 does.

8. therealdeal

Yeah that's my point. From a movie making perspective, there's a lot of problems with how the movie flows. It's an awesome story though and one that I had been waiting for from Star Wars for a long, long time.

9. Savory Griddles

10. therealdeal

AP reported Cocaine, Heroine, and X in her system.

1) leave the woman's business alone...
    2) that's how Carrie lived and I'm not surprised in the least.
    3) it doesn't really change how sad I was/am that she's dead.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Damn, that only makes it even sadder and more tragic. I thought she had gotten clean, but it was a battle until the very end. Such a shame, now we definitely know she was gone too soon.

12. Savory Griddles

That's kind of what I took from it. People thought it may have been a blood clot that formed on the long flight as sometimes does happen. But this makes it much more sad. So sad knowing that a clean Carrie is an alive Carrie.

13. Weezy

I hate to even bring up the idea, but I just hope Star Wars, being back in the spotlight, having to be at the coventions and be "on" and perform didn't contribute to this. I want to think that being back in SW made the final years of her life a joy and was a great way for us to celebrate her again, but damn I just don't know. I know she was on at least one other tv show as well, did some voice acting for Family Guy, this may have just been a typical relapse or a hidden ongoing thing.

It's so sad though, and the SW fan in me is also down that her character cannot possibly get the send off she deserved. Not having her in Episode 9 when she was supposed to be reportedly a major part of it feels like we are going to lose out on some major emotional plot points and weight in the story. Her character can't die offscreen in an opening crawl either, no way. Personally I'm for recasting (but not CGI) to tell the intended story and do her character justice, I think it's less of a slight than writing her out. And honestly she didn't take things seriously at all, I think she would have been ok with it. It's fresh in our minds still that she's gone and it seems wrong to do something like recasting at the moment, but big picture, 20-30 years from now, looking back on these movies and their legacy, I think it is the right move.

14. Savory Griddles

I'm definitely warming up to the idea of recasting her. Ideally they will pull off some wizardry in storytelling and give her a proper off screen send off, but I'm not sure it's actually possible. No matter what direction they go in (kill her off screen, say she retired to Naboo, CGI her, recast her), there are going to be a large groups of people who get pissed.

Weezy likes this.
  15. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

Donnie Yen and sidekick got destroyed by the scriptwriters. No idea about their motivations.

16. Savory Griddles

17. Weezy

I'm concerned for the first time since Disney took over. How do you go THIS long into shooting a movie and not know you don't share a vision? I don't buy it. My concern is Disney is putting too many limits on these directors to conform to a certain look or feel like they are with Marvel. And while that's worked out mostly well for Marvel, I'd say it can stifle creativity as well.

I give Kennedy the benefit of the doubt for now, because Disney appeared to be totally right in stepping in with reshoots and restructuring on Rogue One. If this happens again though, or this movie turns out bad, time for a little concern. So far for most people they are 2 for 2 in good SW movies, but there's a lot of pressure on episode 8, and I'm not sold on Trevorrow being the guy to complete that trilogy.

There's also the question of when they are going to step out of the timelines we know. Rogue One, safe. Han Solo, known entity. Rumored Obi-Wan movie, possible Yoda and Boba Fett movies, characters we know. Eventually you need to give me an old republic movie or tv show, or something set way way in the past, origins of the Jedi, or a small story with new side characters set in times we know without the help of Vader, the Death Star, or the millennium falcon. I'd even be up for something set in the prequel timeline, something to elevate that period further like the clone wars series did.

Back to the main point though, it's definitely odd that these directors were super excited and highly touted to be doing this movie, and suddenly they have creative differences when they starred shooting back in like January. Now they need to find a director to finish it, not a great look for a movie I personally never asked for. I'd love to hear the real story, but I doubt we ever do, at least not for years.

18. therealdeal

I hate it. I was never all that high on this movie. The cast brought me around a bit. Now I'm extremely worried about this movie.

Weezy likes this.
  19. Savory Griddles

20. Weezy

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

http://collider.com/why-star-wars-han-solo-directors-fired/

These reports are exactly what I expected to hear. Lucasfilm wants tight control over how their movies are made and characters are handled, these guys didn't want to stick to that rigidity. With a character like Han Solo that's probably a good thing, but I would hope as I said in another post, that things start to open up a little when they get into eras and characters we've never seen before.