Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I watched The Last Jedi again, I still think it's a rubbish movie. Can't believe how they ruined the original trilogy.

EDIT: I just love the use of gifs in this thread!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Savory Griddles likes this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It’s nuts to me how divisive TLJ is, people seem to love or hate it more than any other better SW movie. I watched it a couple weeks ago and it still blows me away. Absolutely beautiful film, gripping, emotional, makes me laugh, makes me tear up, I still think it’s fantastic. There are parts I don’t love, but the complaints for me don’t come anywhere near those I’d have for the prequels, and any issues with silliness or tone of humor I can look back on and personally say I have the same issues with ROTJ.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It boils down to Luke I think. If Luke was the Luke we grew to know through the OT, (he still could have died) I think most people would let go of the plot holes, the silly chase that lasted the entire movie, and other nonsensical moments. But when you take a lot of people's favorite film hero and do what Rian did, it changes the way one views the film and then you notice everything. It's like if you like a few key things about a person, you look past all their foibles. If there is a BIG thing that you loathe about someone, or they cross the line in a bad way, everything else that's wrong becomes magnified.

svtzr likes this.
  4. Weezy

[​IMG]

Whoo boy, I’m not starting this up again, beating a dead horse isn’t fun. All I will say is, again, I watched TLJ again about 2 weeks ago, and I love Luke in it. Characters change over 30 years, his arc in the movie is great, yes he starts off grizzled, but he ends up incredibly awesome, heroic, and saves the day, and lastly, Abrams is the one who stuck him on that island hiding from everyone and everything. Rian had to work from that.

Abrams is the one who made it so we never got Han and Luke together again, got no Han funeral, got Leia hugging Rey instead of Chewie, and who made Luke a McGuffin with zero lines and left Rey’s parentage as a “good question for another time” for his mystery box. Abrams has a lot to answer for and to make right. I want Lando and Chewie together, I want an Anakin force ghost played by Hayden, I want a lot of force ghost Luke, I want real resolutions and answers to end this trilogy. And if I don’t get all of my demands..er expectations met, I will riot and boycott and call Abrams at his home and threaten his family every day.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Not trying to restart the argument, just saying what is causing the vehement disagreement.

6. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

I tolerated far more outlanndish nonsense from the books and hated TLJ. I would rather watch Waru than the going beyond the light and dark nosense.

7. Savory Griddles

Whether you like the movie or not, this is damn funny.

8. Weezy

Rented Solo from RedBox last night. One word review: Meh. It’s not a great movie, I’m not even sure it’s a good movie, it’s ok. All my opinion of course. It feels very all over the place, it kind of stalls and feels messy a lot of the time, I almost want to say it lacks cohesion. It has very cool moments, it has flashes of coolness, it has nice old school references, but nothing about it feels necessary. The best thing I can say about it is it’s the first SW movie that feels like it lets us see a wider part of the galaxy, some cool planets and characters, no lightsabers or Jedi necessary.

If I were to get too in-depth though it would come across like I were tearing it a new one sadly. Basically it will be the first SW movie ever I won’t be buying unless I find it for $5 in a bargain bin. What gets me most I think is that the best parts of Solo are everything but Solo. Chewie, Lando, Beckett and his extremely disappointingly short-lived crew, Dryden Voss, etc. I could never buy Alden as Han. He’s mini-Han and it’s glaring for me. Emilia Clarke and Carrie Fisher are about the same height (Clarke is actually shorter) and Han towers over Leia, while he almost looks Qi’Ra in the face. It’s bad casting, even the voice isn’t close. I didn’t need an impersonation, but they don’t feel like the same person, and I mean aside from their personality, which I know is intentional because this is young, idealistic Han. I think if you stick Ansel Elgort from Baby Driver in this role it would be a little better movie. Hell he even wears Han’s clothes in a lot of that movie. Disney imo screwed this one up, the box office doesn’t reflect a boycott, it reflects a mediocre movie. I wouldn’t have gone back a 2nd time, it’s too long, and once is enough. Oh, it also suffers from a complaint about TLJ too, Marvel humor. Doesn’t feel like SW the way they joke and all look at eachother at kind of inappropriate moments that don’t fit the tone. Marvel is Marvel, SW is SW, keep it that way, LEARN from the OT humor.

[​IMG]

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. I thought he was a fine Han Solo. It's definitely a different Han Solo, but if he was more like the Han we know from the OT, then the complaint becomes: "he's just a cheap knock-off". I'm glad they at least tried to be a little different. I also thought he was a better actor than Donald Glover for the majority of the movie and if I had a really picky casting problem... it'd be with Donald over Alden. Donald to me was very off and on with his Lando. Sometimes it was a great impression and sometimes it was a completely different character.

The height thing is a fair argument.

I haven't seen it at home yet, maybe it feels different outside the movie theater, but the movie was exactly what I pictured: a fun adventure with some nice pieces. It definitely didn't feel like "Star Wars", but I figured it would be what it was.

Rumor is Disney is backing off the "once a year" Star Wars movies which I'm disappointed by, but maybe it's for the best. People aren't as into Star Wars content as Disney anticipated. They'd rather have the feel of exclusivity than more content (admittedly content that's not always at the highest levels like Solo),

10. Weezy

This wasn’t my complaint though. I even said “and I mean aside from his personality”, because I understood this was young, idealistic Han before the world made him who we see later. My complaint was entirely with the actor, he just never became Han for me. A lot of reviews I read or watched said you get used to him 20 mins in or so, but I never did, his height, his voice, his Ace Ventura hair, I couldn’t get past it. This honest trailer (contains spoilers) sums up the movie for me, I agree with almost all of it. I forgot about the movie not long after watching it, I feel no need to ever revisit it, and that saddens the hardcore fan in me.

11. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

Just make it animated and everyone is happy.

It could still feel exclusive if they give time and hire people who get Star Wars which should be about 75% of filmmakers.

12. Savory Griddles

I watched it. I agree with Weezy as it pertains to Alden. I found myself having to remind myself throughout the movie that he was indeed Han Solo. It felt Star Warsy enough. But I found myself watching the movie and then having to tap myself on the shoulder several times, "Oh yeah. He did that cause he's supposed to be Han Solo. That makes sense."

The movie on the whole was very meh. I just don't get why this needed to be made. Does it add any sort of appreciation for the original trilogy? Does it give Han more depth to where I "understand" him more now? I may never watch this movie again, not because it was bad, but because it was so meaningless. Heck, I've seen Last Jedi 3 times and I hated that piece of garbage. This one elicits no emotion for me one way or the other, which if I'm being honest, might be a worse situation than Last Jedi. At least Last Jedi gave me something to engage with. It gave me the chance to dominate Realdeal and Weezy in arguments.
    :Semicrazylance:

Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  13. therealdeal

He definitely became Han for me after a few minutes. The opening scene is... rough. Not just for him, but for the entirety of the movie it's a horrible place to start.

But after a while, he feels like Han to me. I thought his mannerisms were fine. Like I said, his height is a legitimate beef, but I never really held myself back for it. I think, in the vein of fairness, if you didn't really want to watch it in theaters you probably weren't "all in" to begin with, so it would have had to be excellent to win you over. All in all, it's a fun movie for me and one that I enjoyed. I agree it's not necessarily one I'm eager to re-watch though and it wouldn't qualify as "excellent" so it was unlikely to win you over from the start.

I'd love to see a sequel and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it (really, I'm not trying to sound sarcastic it sucks that you didn't enjoy it). The good news for you is: it's almost certain to never get a sequel!

14. therealdeal

Dominate? :D You've lost every argument!

15. Savory Griddles

[​IMG]

16. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

Another SW Resistance trailer is out. i really wish it ignored the horrible new trilogy.

Just shove an Oscar up KK's butt to save face and let the management change commence.

17. Weezy

I was actually really excited when I rented it, like I went in with a completely open mind, ready to watch a new SW movie, give it a completely fair shot. It just isn’t a very good movie, and it really isn’t a good SW movie especially. It’s forgettable, it feels like more of s collection of scenes than a cohesive story, you can tell it had problems in production, unlike Rogue One, which I love. The funny thing is though, I actually would welcome a sequel. The movie they set up at the end looks way more interesting than the movie we got. I’d like to see more Maul, I’d like to see how Qi’ra and Han’d relationship ends, I’d like to see more Lando, and L3 is dead so we’d be without that horrible, horrible character. They could make it and put it on their streaming service if anything, I’d absolutely watch it. Pretty sure all the actors are under contract for another movie at least.

18. therealdeal

Leaving Solo I felt it was actually much more fluid than I felt when I left Rogue One. The only jarringly out of place set piece was the opening worm monster scene. Everything else flowed alright. The scene on the mud planet was jarring, but it was meant to be that way. Rogue One had real flow issues from beginning till end. The movie drags quite a bit until a rushing, chaotic third act. It's possible they meant to do that, but it definitely had trouble finding a pace. On re-watch, I love Rogue One. I haven't re-watched Solo yet. It's possible I'll like it less.

Oddly, I don't care much about the story they're setting up with Qi-Ra and Maul. I'd rather just watch some goofy, exciting adventures with Han Solo or this version of Lando. No it doesn't feel as cinematic as the other Star Wars movies, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm okay with the lack of grandeur if it means more solid content and I thought this was solid content. It's not A+ stuff, but I found it completely enjoyable.

19. Savory Griddles

I'd be shocked if they made any sort of spin-off/sequel. It is the first Star Wars movie to lose money. And it lost a lot of money. If they stick to this, you really have to question their ability to lead this franchise creatively. There are so many other places you can go with these Star Wars Story films. They shouldn't double down on a movie no one cared about that got mediocre reviews.

20. therealdeal

They would if it sold well at home, but it doesn't appear to be doing that either.

Besides, like I said: http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

They're pausing on spin-off movies as it is. They had some plans for Boba Fett that included a solid director, but that movie to me would have been worse than a Solo movie in terms of usefulness.

The head of Disney Bob Iger recently said they're slowing down on their SW model. Funny that a few years back when Disney acquired the property and rumors of different SW spin-offs made fans swoon, they're moving in the opposite direction now after fans said they didn't like it. At least Disney is being responsive to the fans. Personally, I'd welcome a movie every year. I enjoy the content. It's better than getting a SW trilogy every 20 years.