Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well the border is easily the best part.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Did you guys like the wood-grain? I thought the birch was sexy.

3. therealdeal

I'm more of a spruce guy, but you made the right choice.

4. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

I see it as just as legitimate as the NFL. Why would i not? I mean Star Wars.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

6. Weezy

7. Weezy

I like it, she’s good.

8. Savory Griddles

She was so freaking good in The Americans.

Gonna suck when no one watches her performance due to the boycott. :IrelandPump:

:Fishwink:

9. therealdeal

Empty theaters? Sweet! No dumb kids laughing during the trailers.

ToxicLeif and Kingsama like this.
  10. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

wait another woman... shouldn't we true star wars fans be angry with all this SJW womanizing of Star Wars?

[​IMG]

11. Savory Griddles

People are already speculating she's gonna be Mara Jade. It's almost like every female that is cast in Star Wars must be Mara Jade. :D

Kingsama likes this.
  12. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

yay, we can repeat all that LOTF suckyness from the EU.

Kingsama likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Not trying to start anything, but at some point in this thread I commented on how Kylo and Hux are not threatening as leaders of an evil empire. Jeremy Jahns did a video recently that sort of nails what I was thinking. I'm curious as to other's take on it.

14. Weezy

I think he makes some valid points, but it also feels nitpicky. First, I’m pretty sure the first order is supposed to feel “inferior” to the Empire, because it’s a copy, an imitation done by people who think they know what the Empire was, it feels like an intentional choice. The Empire was in ways to represent the Nazis, the first order is really supposed to represent the Nazis is my takeaway. If that’s good or bad is absolutely up to the viewer though. I’m also pretty sure Hux rose to where he is in part to who his father was. I have zero issues with Kylo Ren gelling, most of the time he isn’t, and is still intimating, and IMO the most complex SW screen villain we’ve ever had. The one thing I do agree on is the Hux being used as a rag doll for physical comedy is over the top and unnecessary. The same effect could he be had if he were just force choked like with Vader, but I guess they didn’t want to repeat that, and instead show how this organization is wild and unpredictable, unstable even at the top. Snoke isn’t the Emperor, he’s clearly not as feared or “respected” so he goes over the top, with his dress, with his tactics, that’s my take. I don’t find the first order to be not intimidating though, they blew up the government, they almost wiped out the entire resistance, they’re simply portrayed more as screaming, bumbling Nazis, and I don’t have an issue with that, it almost feels very Indiana Jones-like.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

That's a little of the problem though. They wiped out most of the Resistance and the Republic in short ORDER ;) where the far more methodical and larger Empire can't snuff out the Rebellion. The planning and execution needed to build a Starkiller base seems waaaaaay beyond what this group is capable of, and if they were capable of it, why aren't the leaders of that project in charge? Regardless of how we got to where we are though, going forward we still have Kylo and Hux as the leaders. Two guys that people are not going to be inspired to follow.

And I don't think the First Order is supposed to be a poor man's Empire. If anything, I think Starkiller base, Snoke, them destroying multiple planets at once, etc. is Disney Star Wars trying to show how crazy powerful they are supposed to be (in a very quick and unearned way). Like the video showed though, why should we fear these guys? In the "chase" in The Last Jedi, they made multiple bad strategic decisions (just jump a couple ships in front of them and trap them). I think a problem might stem from how Return of the Jedi ended, and even the new canon material about the Battle of Jakku transpired. The Empire was the power it was because it WAS the former Republic. All of the Republic's resources transferred to the Empire when Sidious took over. That is partially why some people are probably upset we didn't get more backstory out of Snoke. How was this guy able to rally a gigantic force and build a Starkiller Base in a few years time that could take out the entire New Republic? As a quasi bookreader, I read Bloodline and the explanation was pretty lacking.

16. Weezy

I think we definitely need, and will get a Snoke backstory. Probably in a book or something. But I think they keep pointing that way, like with how Rebels ended, how one of the novels ended with a certain group sent by the Emperor (pre-death backup plan or something) to the outer regions to check something interesting out, which I assume was Snoke. His story needs to be told in some way. But, the Empire wasn’t that fleshed out in the OT either, Palpatine didn’t get his story told until the prequels, and the Empire got it in books and comics and such. They certainly were cooler/better than the First Order, even if not more effective or successful, though that maybe remains to be seen as the Empire ruled for decades and the FO has only ruled for like 2 days now. :D

I’m still holding final judgement until 9, we’ll see how Kylo and Hux run things in that and how effective they are or aren’t, hopefully they do tone down the Hux abuse, because I agree it’s silly. Both the Empire and the FO can be made fun of for various reasons though, the Empire has been for forever, most recently in hilarious ways on Family Guy and Robot Chicken. To me it’s all about personal preference, which you grew up with will color which you like more, nostalgia plays a factor. This is Disney’s take, for better or worse. Believe it or not there are people whose favorite SW movie is TPM. Yeah... imagine that.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

It's hard to take the galaxy seriously if they are the big bads. i feel soory for the dudes and gals making the animated series since they have to have the First Order as bad guys. Indiana Jones villains did not take over galaxies and it was about Indy being awesome not about the fate of an entire galaxy.

18. therealdeal

I'm definitely on board with less slapstick with the First Order, but I don't see how anyone would consider them not intimidating. They blew up 5 worlds in one shot and have decimated our "heroes". I'd say they're unpredictable and yes I'd say you hit it on the head with the Indy reference. They're definitely not the Empire, but they were never supposed to be.

I believe I read somewhere that if the Empire was the Nazis, the First Order are the Nazis that escaped to South America. They're still dangerous and in a lot of ways more wild because they were the ones wily enough to get away. Now imagine if the ones that got to South America were allowed to build and create weaponry and whatnot. I can buy that. The First Order was never meant to be the Empire Part II, they were always meant to be a twisted view of the Empire, more extreme, more unpredictable, more dangerous, and yet more fragile because of their leadership is based off of insane people.

I agree with you 100% though that this SW definitely is for these generations which is totally fair. I'm just happy to get more SW content. Hopefully they find their footing in what makes people happy, but they probably won't.

Weezy likes this.
  19. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

I bet South American Nazis could do better than emo vader and Richard Spencer.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. Savory Griddles