Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Saw Solo

Quite enjoyed it

Kingsama, Kenzo, TIME and 1 other person like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is my favorite review I've ever read.

Kenzo, TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I tried not to give anyone the chance to use this...

[​IMG]

4. therealdeal

I genuinely like it. No need to get crazy. Just a solid opinion.

5. therealdeal

Saw Solo.

Also enjoyed it.

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I didn’t see, and don’t plan to, along with apparently a lot of other people $101 estimated 4 day weekend. This movie simply isn’t the required viewing it needs to feel like to compete with Avengers and Deadpool 2.

7. therealdeal

Honestly it's you missing out if you dont go. It's a ton of fun. Alden makes a terrific Han. Glover makes a solid Lando. The rest of the cast is really good. It's a very Star Wars movie.

Kingsama and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  8. Weezy

I’ll wait for Blu-ray, I honestly have no desire to see it. Han’s backstory was never something I needed or wanted to see, his introduction is perfect in ANH and that’s all I needed.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. therealdeal

I understand and I dont think you're wrong to feel that way. But since it exists anyway and I'd heard good things I gave it a shot and it was really fun.

I'm honestly on board if they made a series out of it. I thought it was that fun.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not seeing it in the theater unless I buy a ticket for something else and sneak in. Missing out on a unnecessary adventure I didn't want to see in the first place (I said that before Rian Johnson's dumpster fire) is worth it in order to take part in an obvious boycott. The "vocal minority" is apparently not so minor. Maybe it's fun, and maybe it's cool, but Disney is ruining Star Wars with identity politics and they are using the trades and critics to make everyone believe it's some tiny minority that's causing the backlash. They were projecting a 170 million domestic opening over the 4 day weekend. It's looking like it won't even break 170 worldwide.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-tracking-1202796720/

Serves them right. The fact that this thing isn't going to break 100 million domestically over the normal 3-day opening weekend is ridiculous. It's freaking Star Wars.

11. Weezy

What exactly do you mean by ruining SW with identity politics? I don’t want to misunderstand you take here. As for this particular movie, I don’t really think it’s a boycott that’s largely responsible, I think it’s more likely this holiday weekend, going up against Avengers and Deadpool 2 still, and the fact that we got another SW movie 5 months ago. I think if this opened in December it would have done better, it’s the perfect slot for SW now, very little competition, lots of kids off school.

12. therealdeal

Wait you're going to boycott and then ridicule? Doesn't that just mean you're part of the problem?

I also dont understand the mentality of "even if it's good, I wont see it." Why not? Why deprive yourself of a good movie?

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Identity politics have been creeping up all over. I was cool with them making Rey a female hero and center of the story. In fact I thought it was a great idea. I have no issue with reaching out to new demographics. Then Kathleen Kennedy starts wearing Force is female t-shirts...OK. Still not bothered, but starting to wonder what's going on. Then in the Last Jedi they systematically neutered every male character in the movie. Luke...I've said my piece on Luke. Killed Snoke. Make Rose "save" Finn (even though he was trying to do the heroic thing and she could have ended the Resistance with her idiotic stunt). Holdo is an absolute imbecile and then her and Leia laugh at cute, little Poe. "I like him." "Me too." Kylo and Hux are Keystone cops childishly arguing back and forth. I mean, with those two in charge, is it realistic to fear the First Order? Then the latest with a writer deciding that Lando is pansexual (I had to look that up as I didn't know what it was). Why? Why do it? It's just pandering and trying to let everyone know they are inclusive. You can do that be creating a new character with that sexuality. Retroactively deciding a well-established, existing character is something that he has given no indication of being in the past is pandering and trying to rile up the Twitterverse.

And the holiday weekend thing? Other films have crushed on Memorial Day. Avengers is taking business away from Star Wars? It's been out for a month. Are people really going to watch Avengers for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time rather than watching Solo for the first time? And Deadpool is an R-Rated movie that will take some steam out of Solo...maybe. But we aren't talking 10 or 20 million off. Rogue One (non-saga film) made 155 million it's opening weekend (3-day). Solo looks to be falling over 50 million short of that on a 4-day weekend.
    I'm ridiculing Disney and specifically Lucasfilm. I don't know if the movie is any good. I'm not going to ridicule the movie other than it seemed like a dumb idea from the get-go. I'm ridiculing Disney's PR/hype machine straight up lying to the public and saying everything is juuuust fine. Saying it's just a vocal minority full crybabies who live in their moms' basements. They look like they will be off by close to 70 million dollars on their "estimates." And they lied. TFA, R1, and TLJ were sold out within 5 minutes at the IMAX by my house. I looked at Solo the day of release and it was still 1/3 to 1/4 empty.

And I'm not saying I will never see it. I'm just saying I won't contribute to the box office tally that the Lucasfilm brass keeps holding up as a sign that they know what they're doing.

14. Weezy

Alright, thanks for explaining your position. I’ve seen your argument around online a lot, and I simply don’t agree (especially with all your takes on the men and women in TLJ), so I don’t see a need to have a big in-depth argument, but I’ll say a few things. Even if you are correct though, really doesn’t bother me, because we as men have been on top for thousands of years, so I don’t mind if women get their day for a few SW movies. As far as Lando, Lawrence Kasdan was head writer on this, and he was co-writer on Empire, ROTJ, and TFA, so these are his characters, I’d say he has the right to do what he wants in that regard, Lando’s sexuality was never implicitly stated in the OT, he was just a charming man. Kasdan’s son was co-writer on Solo though, and he was the more definitive one in interviews on the Lando issue, so it’s likely it was more his idea. Having not seen the film though, I don’t see how it would affect my enjoyment of it, seems in-character with what we’ve seen of Lando to me, not like something to push an agenda. If anything this is just the world and society now, and I’m glad these people are able to be represented onscreen in big budget movies and it’s becoming the norm, I feel it should be.

Last point, again, Rogue One opened in December, I think if it opened this may same day as Solo, it suffers some. But I think its premise and the inclusion of Vader would always earn more interest than a Solo film. And yes, I do think people would rather go see Avengers again than Solo, because I personally would, it’s awesome. And while Deadpool 2 is R, I still think it has the cool factor edge on Solo, so I do actually think that hurts.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

Or...I don't know...maybe...

[​IMG]

16. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Long story short review...

Solo lacks the emotional weight of the saga films, but makes up for it by being a straight forward adventure film that is really fun and seems to be setting up some cool stuff. You should see it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Well.... at least it wasn't awful.

18. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

Man had been in top because the world was bloody harsh and you could not walk across towns by yourself. For mosty of history women doing amazon things would have resulted in them being sold into slavery and raped. They lacked the physical strenght to protect themselves. Man behaved realy badly to one another also. How would you feel about making a franchise an anti monarchy political message franchise based on that logic? A franchise that you like.

19. Savory Griddles

20. Weezy

1 Star Wars movie per year, that’s all we need. I realize technically we are getting that, as TLJ was 2017, Solo is 2018, and 9 is 2019, but TLJ and Solo were released too close to eachother, 5 months or so. At least one live action tv show is coming, one animated show, all the books and comics, it’s too much.