Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Decent amount of new footage in this

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

I've heard some negative stuff on this Solo film, reshoots and problems blah blah. And clearly there were some as the directors got fired. All I know is a have complete faith in Opie Cunningham as a director and to fix it. And I thought I thought Alden Ehrenreich was fantastic in Hail Ceasar which as a whole was "ok". Weak story and script. But he did a bang-up job on his part and was one of the bright spots, standing up to the likes of Ralph Fiennes and George Clooney no less. .

3. Weezy

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

6. therealdeal

7. Savory Griddles

8. therealdeal

Boba's youth has been covered a bit in the Clone Wars. I honestly don't know what to do with him. Do you honestly have him coming out of the Sarlacc pit? Do you do something earlier? Something between 3 and 4 maybe? Show him becoming menacing?

The problem is, if you make him too bad***, his death in 6 looks really stupid.

9. Savory Griddles

I mean, Disney has already shown they don't give a flying **** about what they do to characters from the original trilogy. :Brows:

10. therealdeal

You are a useless person to talk SW to now. :D

I bet you were one of those purposely tanking Solo's audience reviews.

11. Savory Griddles

Nah. I would be honest if I liked it.

And you can still talk Star Wars with me, real Star Wars. I just am useless when talking about big budget, fan fiction.

12. Weezy

I’m really bored with this announcement, if not fully disappointed. Boba Fett? Really? What’s after that, an Ice Cream Maker Guy movie? SW is huge, there is so much material in the EU alone to take from, there is so much new they could do, but no, they keep going to the established character well. They’re going for cash grabs, they’re playing it safe and scared after taking chances with TLJ and dan backlash, and it’s saddening as a hardcore SW fan. I think Kathleen Kennedy needs to be replaced, and someone like Feige needs to be put in charge to make this thing more cohesive and have a bigger plan and more organization all around. Feels right now like they pick a character out of a hat every so often, and even though I do love TLJ, it also feels like they have no clear vision for this trilogy. Giving each director a movie and saying “here, do what you want”, doesn’t necessarily lead to a story that blends perfectly in the end. Some people say, well that’s how Lucas did it with the OT, but that was a different time, and he made the first movie not knowing if he’d get to do a sequel, so of course it had to be self-contained and changes added later to expand the story. This sequel trilogy should have been written out at one time at least in outline form. As for Solo, now that it’s here, I have zero desire to see it, I won’t be going to the theater. Just doesn’t interest me, it looks like a movie of all these previously referenced SW things being shown to appease angry fans that just want a “SW adventure!” and make money. Not a fan of that, Disney is becoming kind of like EA with this stuff, but then again, at least EA told an interesting story with new characters in Battlefront 2.

13. therealdeal

I'm not talking about TLJ anymore I think we've gone round that bend already. And I'm teasing you about being useless of course.

Honestly though, do you have no opinion on a Boba Fett movie?

14. therealdeal

See I disagree fundamentally with "cash grab" being a negative thing. I for one love that there's new content coming all the time. The thing is, with content coming all the time, there's absolutely zero chance of achieving perfection with every movie. Every SW movie is going to be more like a Marvel movie, that was an eventuality with Disney picking up the property. And by "Marvel" movie I mean it's going to be a block buster every year. You lose exclusivity that way and this is what happens. Unfortunately SW fans are the pickiest around so things are going to get rough. We all want the highest quality SW movies, but even Marvel didn't start out this way. Incredible Hulk lost money. Iron Man 2 was poorly received. Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, and Iron Man 2 were received with very minimal excitement. Studios take some time to get going and SW has gotten off to a rocky start. Personally, I think the 3 films so far have been wonderful and I'm sad not everyone agrees. For me Kennedy is 3/3 so there's no reason to rush a change at the top. I do think they're struggling to find what people love about SW and they're struggling to fight against the constant, loud stream of hatred towards their IP right now.

As for the "having an overarching plan" I agree moving forward that's a good idea. I don't necessarily need it with this trilogy, but it'd ease fans knowing there's at least an outline.

And for this Boba Fett movie, I'm only interested because Mangold is great. This is the same guy that gave us Logan and 3:10 to Yuma. I'm eye rolling a little at Boba Fett as a feature, but I'm at least curious with Mangold.

I'll see Solo some time this weekend. I've heard it's a fun movie and definitely worth watching even if it isn't a groundbreaking cinematic experience.

15. Weezy

Marvel was cohesive from almost the start though, they’ve had a plan and a vision on a scale that’s almost crazy to think about. I don’t need one giant thing like that with SW, because Marvel is one long story across many, many movies and SW isn’t trying to be that, but I would like someone more in touch with what SW is and should be to be in charge. I think Kristian Harloff is right on when he suggests Dave Filoni should have a larger role, because he worked with Lucas, he leaned all the secrets, he’s done and doing amazing new stuff with SW with Clone War and Rebels. That’s the stuff I want, not a bunch of Solo films and Boba Fett, come on.

Ah well, at least I can hope the new Rian Johnson and Benioff and Weiss stuff will be new and exciting, and that JJ really goes all out with Episode 9. I am for an Obi-Wan movie though, not because it’s safe and a character we know, but because there is a great story to tell there, and the actor that played by him perfectly in the prequels is available and the right age to do it. You can do a Boba Fett movie 30 years from now and it would be the same, I see zero need to rush for more of these cash grabs, and yes I still see them as a bad thing if it’s fan service for the sake of it. I’m not asking for SW to be only groundbreaking cinematic experiences, for every movie to be super deep or heavy, I’m all for fun adventures, just give me something new. If they can do it on the small screen with animation, they can do it in the theater. Hell, if you want to use an awesome characters people know and love, but still has the potential to be entirely fresh because of where her story arc went, give us an Ahsoka movie. Enough people know her to be interested, and enough don’t for people to be intrigued.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. Weezy

Oh, but to be fair, I do agree with you that Disney and Kennedy are 3/3 so far. I like TFA a lot, and I love Rogue One and TLJ. I have zero interest in going to see Solo or Boba Fett though, that’s what concerns me. No, they can’t always please and appeal to every fan with every movie, but I’m getting very tired of how safe they’re playing it. I want new stories, not re-imaginings of books and comics that already existed in the 80’s and 90’s.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. therealdeal

To counter your point here, they tried to go new with TFA and TLJ (and their plans in the future sound new) and fans have hated them. Rogue One was a problem production as well.

I'm all for Filoni having more say though. He'd be a perfect creative head but I'm not sure he wants to do it.

18. Weezy

Eh, I think the LOUD fans hated them. Everyone I know loves TFA, and most people I know loved TLJ. I also don’t buy the majority, or even a concerning number of people hated TLJ though, as it still made 1.3 billion dollars, and THEN topped the blu-ray sales charts easily. People don’t really hate it if they’re buying it. I really think it’s just a really LOUD and angry pocket of fans that hate TLJ, and that flood comments sections and message boards, nothing actually concerning, and nothing that should scare them from taking more chances. You’re right though, Rogue One had major production issues, but they got it fixed in the end, same with Solo apparently. It’s reassuring that they can fix it, but at the same time it’s concerning that they keep getting that far into production and only finding out then that the movie needs to be fixed. That’s also on Kennedy, and why there should be a clearer vision from the start, from the script process and greenlighting the damn things.

19. therealdeal

@Savory Griddles is going to disagree. :D

I tend to agree it's not a concern yet in a large scale, but it is a concern short term. I felt like Solo would be a good palette cleanser but the interest just never really jumped off. From everything I've heard and read it's damn solid but it's expected now to earn something in the 600m range which would be easily the worst grossing SW film of all time.

20. Weezy

Yeah well, @Savory Griddles is part of that loud, screaming minority.

:Fishwink: :Laugh:

Kidding, Savory, love ya, bro.

therealdeal likes this.