Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well to be fair the new Chewie actor is shorter too. :D

2. therealdeal

Turns out that art might not be so official although it looks really high quality for just some fan art. We'll see if maybe it was done by some other entity, but DIsney says they didn't make it.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I watched Last Jedi again, and call me crazy, but Im starting to like it.

SIKE! I didnt watch it again. Damn you Rian Johnson!!!

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  4. therealdeal

Well you should and you should change your mind!

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

6. therealdeal

Hmmmmm the timing there is sort of weird though... The difference in time between the 1st movie and the 2nd movie is basically a few minutes right? So how did they have time to write those messages? How many people know of Han's death?

Unless it doesn't have to do with his death. Maybe the bombs were Han's idea or design?

7. Weezy

I don’t think it’s an issue. Most of the bombs shown don’t have these written on them. I think it’s clear to the base that Han died at the end of TFA when Rey and Chewie return and Han isn’t with them. As the article points out, he’s a war hero, and I’m sure has fans in the resistance if Finn gained fans in that short period of time. Plenty of time for a few people in the bomber ships to write a couple messages to the First Order. Really though, I think it’s jusr a fun easter egg for fans or maybe moreso the filmmakers.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

the token must have star wars critter

meh

9. therealdeal

Actually they were made as a practicality because the location they were filming at had TONS of natural birds (Puffins actually). So they designed an "alien" they could put in its place so that it didn't seem so odd seeing all those animals there. They're designed off of Pugs, Puffins, and an egg. :D

They came out really cute and so boom. Merchandise bonanza.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, because ice dogs aren’t selling squat lol

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  11. Weezy

So I have seen TLJ 5 times now. I think I am confident in stating my pretty definitive personal opinion on it now. Simply put, I love it. It is a true epic, a beautiful, fun, deep, draining, and yes, flawed masterpiece of a SW film. Every single time I notice a little more, I get it a little more. I get what Rian was trying to say, I get the message, I get his vision. Also every single time I am enthralled, I get chills, I laugh, I feel the movie deeply and tear up, I just love it. When I watch the movie I feel like I’m a kid again watching in awe of Empire and having a blast with RoTJ at the same time.This feels to me like the perfect mix of of the old and the new (with some stuff that actually feels prequely thrown in), I love how Rian expanded on the force, the entire SW mythology and left this thing wide open from here on out.

I can’t place it among the other Star Wars films yet, I need at least a year or 2 to fully get a feel for where it will land for me, but it’s quickly climbing the list, and is better than Sith for me, which TFA was not. I could go on and on about what I loved about the movie, what got better or changed for me, what didn’t, what felt worse maybe, but I don’t want to write an essay. In the end we all have our takes on it, what we love/like, don’t like/hate, and that’s fine. My outlook on SW right now is bright, I’m excited for 9, and I feel like Rian’s trilogy could be some epic stuff (could still take or leave “Solo”). I hope JJ watched TLJ, ignored fan outcry, and makes the movie he wants to make based off of what he saw, and nothing more, and I trust him. That’s how we will get films that will stand the test of time IMO. And the more and more I see the movie I notice things the story group has been setting up for years, starting with the Clone Wars cartoon, and I love how it is paying off. I can’t wait for the Blu-ray of this movie so I can see the deleted scenes and pause every little frame in key scenes. Yes, it’s a long movie, but I’d be good with a 3 hour SW, I’m a geek. :D

therealdeal likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Well, it's too bad Rian didn't watch TFA and make a movie based off of what he saw as opposed to watching season one of Battlestar Galactica and thinking he watched Star Wars. ;) :rofl:

Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  13. therealdeal

I've only been twice but Im planning one more before it leaves theaters. The first time I was taken aback, the second time I loved it, I've now had a few weeks to digest it and I'm with you. I thought it was a great movie, but was confused about where they were going. I was disappointed in Luke and Rey. Now though I understand it more and I'm excited about where everyone is headed. Luke is given maybe the most epic moment in SW from an individual perspective and literally becomes the legend he didn't think he was. There was some stuff cut from the movie that I really wish made the cut.

Also, I think it's clear that this isn't Rey's series. This is Kylo's series that we're just seeing through Rey. Kylo is by far the most interesting character and his development going forward is going to be the most fun to watch.

Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  14. Weezy

:Laugh: Hater.

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Kylo kills Han Solo and yet I agree, he’s a more interesting character than Rey. What does that say about Rey or the writing for her?

Honestly, Fin and Kylo Ren are the two characters I like the most in these movies.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Kathleen Kennedy said when this series was just starting: these movies are about the Skywalker family (really I'd argue they're all about Anakin). That means this trilogy is about Kylo Ren. He's been the most interesting to follow and the way forward for him now is fascinating.

Rey is a vessel in this movie very similar to what Luke was in the originals: they're there so we can see the story of the real antagonist through a positive spectrum. The originals I'd argue (and the prequels back it up now) are about Vader, not Luke. We just see Vader through Luke's rosy, optimistic glasses. This series is about Kylo, we just get to see it through Rey's even rosier glasses.

Savory Griddles, Kingsama and Weezy like this.
  17. Savory Griddles

The problem is there was room and ample opportunity to make Rey at least somewhat interesting. Rey being good at everything right away and not having to work for anything is a huge determent to her ability to be interesting. Her "hardship" happens offscreen before we meet her in Episode 7 (unless you count Simon Pegg giving her 1/4 portion when she deserved a full portion an unfathomable hardship). People don't relate to someone who has everything given to them. Someone brought up a really good example of Beatrix Kiddo, We watched her get beaten to a pulp, left for dead with a bullet in her head, (as far as we knew at the time) lost her child and husband, had her comatose body defiled...when she woke up we were rooting for her to kill every single bastard that did that to her. We cared about her. We cared about Luke cause he got his hand chopped off and failed over and over. It's hard to root for a character when there isn't even a the slightest inkling she will actually get hurt or fail. There's no drama. There's no character building. So naturally, there is no interest. Disney wanted their bad-a** princess before the first movie had even finished so they could sell toys and get girls involved in the saga. Everyone is talking about the chances Rian Johnson took and his "bold" moves. The really bold move would have left Rey severely injured to where her survival was in question, or maybe even kill her.

Barnstable likes this.
  18. Weezy

These movies are for 12 year olds, they were never gonna give Rey Kill Bill problems or kill her in 8. 9, maybe. That’s not me rationalizing away legit issues either, just saying you can’t be surprised, it’s like expecting Luke to die in the OT, was never gonna happen. I friggin love Kylo Ren though, one of my favorite SW characters ever, and if handled right in 9, maybe the best and most complex SW villain ever.

Completely unrelated to the other topics, one thing I do enjoy, find interesting about these 2 movies is that they’re really one long movie. 8 is immediately following 7, they take place across like a week’s time tops. You don’t often see that in something that isn’t taken from like a book, like LOTR.

Edit: Which makes the whole thing feel very frantic and dire and a truly desperate situation with the highest stakes possible, even in a 2 1/2 hour movie. It still flies by for me each time, even though it has way more of those quiet, time to breathe scenes ala Empire with Luke/Rey and Kylo/Rey where the characters/actors really get to shine.

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Well, i mean obviously shes not going to have Beatrix problems, but she needs something, anything. She beat the big bad in the first movie. Where's the individual threat going to come from? And they obviously werent going to kill Luke. But he lost. It forced him to get back up. People like seeing that. People liked the Warriors cause they fought their way to the top with home grown talent. People hated the Heat cause they were already formed. Its simple character development. Kylo has it. Rey does not. Name any great, epic adventure. The hero almost always faces real adversity. Not Kylo tapping into her head where she figures out how to fight him off in two minutes and escapes without issue. Everything she tries, she succeeds in. Its dreadful writing.

Disney used the Star Wars name to drag in older fans and used their excitement to get new fans energized, but younger people need everything right away and they need it to be their own. So they microwave up a hero in Rey, and now that the older fans have served their purpose, Disney is free to forget the past and kill it if they have to. That way they can remove the magic of the old world and create a homogenized product that is easily marketed and mass produced. I was fooled like everyone else into thinking a new Star Wars movie every year would be amazing. But there is no way to create that many without watering down the product first. But it will continue to succeed financially because Disney is the best marketing machine to ever exist. They can hype the crap out of things like no one ever.

20. therealdeal

Your Star Wars outlook is depressing. This is not at all how I view these products. One character that you can't get behind and the whole uni draw is defunct? That's bad writing. :D

Savory Griddles likes this.