Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The Light side is calling to you, Time. Don't shut it out like Realdeal. Don't give in to the Darkside. Don't give in to Rian Johnson's hate for Star Wars fans.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

;) To be fair, the man tried, and he had an almost impossible task of pleasing everyone, old fans set in our ways, and new fans that don’t even care much about Luke, Leia and such. Somebody had to take the bullet for going in a new direction and taking chances after JJ played it incredibly safe. I only hope he still gets his new trilogy after all this backlash, because I think with beloved characters out of the picture he can make some amazing SW movies.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

No, Rian. They didn't have to happen. You could have accomplished all the major plot beats you did and still made Luke the Luke we loved instead of changing his core.
    Easily could have just made it that Luke retreated to find answers on how to respond to the failure rather than him giving up and waiting to die. Rey comes and he can be reluctant to train her because of Kylo turning (and not turning cause Luke wanted to kill him). Everything else can stay the same and the outrage probably reduces by half. Still can have your twists and turns and old broken Luke. But he was broken and still searching for answers on how to fix it.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I love the new movie and it screams star wars to me more than any movie besides Episode 4. Rian did more for star wars than anyone since Kershner.

:Kobeheadbob:

Savory Griddles likes this.
  5. Weezy

This is a bit I was referencing from that podcast on the last page. If anyone didn’t have the time or bother to watch that whole thing this is under 4 mins. Not trying to change anyone’s mind on anything, I just thought these guys made a lot of sense and it makes me laugh at the same time

6. Savory Griddles

therealdeal likes this.
  7. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

[​IMG]

The EU did it first.

8. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Haven’t see the movie yet, but if Finn is still acting like a relative of Jar Jar Binks, then I’ll save my money.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Saw it, and how I grade movies is if I'd pay to see it again.

I would not. I left underwhelmed. Rogue One I liked a lot. Not sure where they go from here, but I'm not sold on the cast moving forward either. Just.....meh.

alam1108 likes this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I rewatched it a second time over the weekend, I still like it as much as I did the first time around. Its a flawed movie and some of the bigger flaws pull me out of the movie.

Boyega's performance is great but I feel like him sacrificing himself would have been a great move for his character. In TFA, he was running, running away from being a Storm Trooper to end up trying to save Rey. In TLJ, he's running away from the Resistance to again, save Rey. But in the end, he realizes the bigger picture and that what he was about to do was going to be a huge thing. And then that save and kiss from Rose was out of left field for me.

Still an awful 20 mins that could have been used for something else. Why couldn't you have Rose be the hacker or attempt the hack? Would have been a bigger role for that character and make her feel more important. Essentially now she's just a mechanic that has a thing for Finn and stole his redemption.

They absolutely have to recast her right? That character has such a huge role for Kylo and you can't just write out that character in a time jump. There were a few instances where they could have killed her in this one but not sure how that will fly with Carrie Fisher actually passing away. She could have died from the blast and we wouldn't have gotten that awful space walk. She could have been the one to hyperspeed ram that ship (which is still such an awesome scene).

Driver's performance of Kylo was amazing, such a better character than what he was in TFA. Despite Rey's overpowered feel, her character is still the most interesting character right now for me. Is she really from nothing? And if she is thats pretty awesome because she's someone completely fresh of any "royalty".

What made me like TFA was that it made me excited for TLJ, it was similar to ANH but it felt like Star Wars again. TLJ does not make me excited for episode 9. I get that Rian was trying to build the basis for a new storyline post-Skywalker but a lot of plot points that JJ built up, doesn't get the payoff I needed. Snoke was a huge FU to me and I don't care if they explore him more in books or comics, I don't read those and it felt like he had too big a role to not have that in the movies.
    What Rian did do well for me were the shots. Its a gorgeous movie and the fight scenes were refreshing and awesome. What felt more like a Disney problem though were the jokes. Oh man the jokes. It felt like a recent Marvel movie at times.

I wish I would have liked this movie more but I couldn't. I'm not a big enough fan of Star Wars to be able to dive into the deeper SW philosophies to be able to enjoy the themes and thats the problem for me. It shouldn't need that much diving to enjoy the series. Something like "you shouldn't need to explain a joke"...
    Probably going to watch Rogue One sometime soon for a Star Wars refresher.

11. therealdeal

I don't really understand that complaint for Star Wars. Star Wars shouldn't be a romp that's easily digestable. That's what every other blockbuster is for. Honestly, Marvel is more like that. Transformers can be that. Star Wars is weird and should feel weird and shouldn't be so easy all the time. Empire Strikes Back is universally considered the best movie in the franchise and it subverts the entire series in a similar way to the Last Jedi.

I also don't agree that it's Rian's responsibility to pay off things that JJ set up that aren't necessarily fresh and interesting. Certain answers would have been nice, but in the end they aren't really important. The important players are the ones we're left asking questions about.

But to each their own. It seems most of this board were underwhelmed and that's disappointing for all of us.

12. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

ESB was a subversive story? In what way?

13. therealdeal

It ends with the bad-guys winning, the protagonist gravely injured, one of the major supporting characters imprisoned (possibly dying), and no obvious way forward. How is that a path that the 1st one clearly lays out?

Kingsama, TIME and Weezy like this.
  14. Weezy

It also took the force from being an “energy field” that could be used to trick stormtroopers, deflect laser fire without physically seeing, and help guide you to fire torpedoes into a small opening, to deep philosophy lessons, something that could lift an X-Wing, and be used to hurl large objects at your enemy. ANH and ESB couldn’t be more different movies. I wonder lately had the internet been around in 1980, how divided the fan base would have been in the moment on what ESB did with SW. I don’t care who likes and doesn’t like TLJ, again, opinions are subjective, we like what we like. But for me, it works, I love how deep it is compared to TFA and gets us all talking, and I think for those reasons it will hold up years and years from now like the original movies.

Kingsama and therealdeal like this.
  15. therealdeal

Exactly. Think about the jump from Luke deflecting some test shots on the Falcon to Vader hurling dozens of objects at Luke through the Force and Yoda lifting a ship out of the swamp. I can already hear the Internet shouting, "Oh so the Force is magic now? What the hell? Then why didn't Yoda or Obi-Wan just smash Vader with the Force if he can lift heavy stuff?!" I think a big problem is that we've had so effing long from the originals to now and we're trying to compare the originals to now and there's an entire generation that only grew up with the originals in a box set so they were able to jump from movie to movie without the time in between.

Episode 5 was very poorly received at first, but it grew on people as time went on and it's now the most treasured movie. I'm not saying the Last Jedi will be a treasured movie (I feel like it should be eventually), but I think it'll be much more appreciated a few months from now as people let shock die down and delve back into the story. Then again, people might return to it a few months from now and still hate it and that's fine too. I just think the originals have hit a mythical level that they maybe don't necessarily deserve. They're not perfect movies and they didn't set up a perfect universe. It's weird seeing how much people were willing to forgive the Fore Awakens for mistakes, but are absolutely crushing The Last Jedi for its mistakes. Being the first comes with a lot of positives.

Hopefully JJ makes a great Episode Nine and we can all rest happily with the final product on these three movies. So far, I love them. I can't wait for Episode Nine.

Weezy likes this.
  16. therealdeal

17. Weezy

Clearly Disney put a gun to Hammil’s head for this one. “Look Mark, there’s a lot of desert not to far outside LA, it’s very easy to make someone disappear. You can ‘do the right thing’ and be a force ghost in 9, or a real one in life.”

And for fun

therealdeal likes this.
  18. Weezy

Man I’m still not sure about this one. Ford IS Solo. I really like this kid in Hail Caesar though, so who knows. I think Glover is gonna kill it as Lando though, and if the movie is a fun ride, we all win in the end.

therealdeal likes this.
  19. therealdeal

Just wait until you see the Falcon before it became a hunk of junk...

[​IMG]

Weezy likes this.
  20. Weezy

All I know is the kid better have some huge lifts in his boots and some camera trickery going on, because he’s 5’9 and Ford is 6’1. That’s going to be noticeable if not done right.