Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I have always thought the jedi were jacked up. The stoicism always bothered me even as a young kid. Anger is not wrong. Somethings should make you angry and love is not bad.

One of two things will happen they will either continue to make new movies past 9 in terms of timeline and the Jedi will move to the middle which means you could have a light side villians. Or they will use a balancing of the force as a good stopping point for the movies in terms of timeline and then shift to a KotOR or older timeline for trilogies. They won't be skittling the term Jedi any time soon cause it's tied to marketing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Savory Griddles likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Good points. I just think the Jedi were overall a source of tremendous good. They made mistakes, but in the end, if not for them, billions would have died and there likely wouldn't be a Republic. Luke IS obviously training her as evident in the trailer. So I'm hoping he's in a bad place and Rey brings him back and they recreate the Jedi with some modifications.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It could be that "the Jedi must end" is either an edited quote (as in it could be "the Jedi as they were must end". I would agree completely with that statement.

In the old EU they went into pretty good detail about how the Jedi Council leading up to their collapse had really grown rigid in their ways. Their inability to express love, one of the greatest emotions we have, really lead them down a dark path themselves. They were made into soldiers and really lost sight of what they're supposed to stand for which is peace. Maybe what Luke is doing is just moving into a more enlightened form of living. You don't have to ignore negative emotions. In CW there's a padawan that loses her way because she gets lost in those emotions. It's one thing to accept the pain and then move forward (which many Jedi did), but the Council was unmovable. If you read the book "Dark Disciple" it gets really deep into how the Jedi Council lost their way in the end.

4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I don't know about obiwan, but between the cartoons and comics I do believe that it has been shown that Yoda did know that the Jedi had gone too far and that he could not prevent order 66.

Apparently he visited with forces priests or priestess and began to understand the living force which is apparently the key to force ghosting. I don't know all the details but it's a process that takes place

therealdeal likes this.
  5. therealdeal

Yeah that happened late in CW. He taught Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon learned but didn't complete his training. The ability to be a Force ghost long-term is supposedly a learning process. I'd be really interested in seeing them again. I'd also like to see them explore holocrons more.

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

IMO Luke is going to be looking beyond the teachings of the Jedi. In the trailer he says "it's so much bigger" when Rey is telling him about the force. We don't know if those lines follow eachother or not, but I do believe he's talking about having learned so much more than the stuff the Jedi stuck to. I do think this will be the end of the Jedi too, and I hope it is, it's time for something new beyond the rigid ways of the Jedi.

Plus, they've been prepping us for this for years and years. In the prequels they showed how the Jedi failed, they pointed out how Mace Windu's distrust of Anakin and wanting to take down the emperor and have too much power in the republic was wrong. They showed how the Jedi failed Anakin. Then in the Clone Wars they showed how the Jedi failed Ahsoka, how she lost faith in them and walked away and became a grey force user I guess it's called.

Then we know from TFA that Luke training new Jedi failed, yet again the Jedi way failed. I think it's clear Luke is looking to something bigger, some older teachings maybe more pure to the force, without the Jedi religion. At least that's what I hope. Good and evil aren't going anywhere, lightsaber battles are here to stay, but I do think it's time for the Jedi to end. They are not the way to protect the galaxy anymore IMO. I also assume he's been able to talk to obi-wan, Yoda, maybe Anakin for decades now, and that would also factor into his big decisions on where to go from where he's at. All that said, it's also possibly as simple as at the moment he says that line though, he's defeated and down since he's hiding, and he doesn't want any part of that life anymore, and Rey changes his mind.

7. Savory Griddles

In regards to the Whills, in the beginning of the Force Awakens novelization (so a canon source) before the opening crawl they have an excerpt from the Journal of the Whills that reads:

First comes the day
    Then comes the night
    After the darkness
    Shines through the light.
    The difference, they say,
    Is only made right
    By the resolving of gray
    Through refined Jedi sight.

-Journal of the Whills, 7:477

So take that for what you will. Sounds like that refined Jedi sight comes from a certain moisture farmer.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. therealdeal

I got to read those books.

9. Savory Griddles

I didn't actually read the novelization. I was watching a Youtube video where they were breaking stuff down and that came up. I have read a few of the novels though since they introduced the new canon. But that little excerpt seemed VERY intentional and would make sense of a lot of things.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

There's no way you include something like that without strong reasoning.

I've read Tarkin and Dark Disciple and they're both very good.

11. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Unlike Lucash who basically let folks run wild with the EU, Disney is super controlling over every detail of SW. That quote is there for a reason.

Savory Griddles and therealdeal like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

For sure. I think Disney is going to probably still use the term Jedi, but they will be completely different. Like you said earlier, the term "Jedi" is too valuable in marketing and brand recognition for Disney to completely abandon it in stories moving forward. I realize they can still go to the well in stand alones and KotOR films, but I can't imagine the dump the name for what is really their bread and butter: The Saga films.

13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I would bet money that the next major multi movie project is KotOR, it will no doubt be different than the games, but with such great characters they will have to go there. I also bet you see some much older stories as well

14. Savory Griddles

I really hope so. The rise/fall/redemption of Revan could easily be turned into a trilogy. There are obviously some places where that story jumps the shark and would need to be reigned in a bit, but the story is great. I would also love to see the Bane story told, although I'm not sure if audiences are ready for a story that centers on a villain that is truly evil.

I also wonder now if all this talk about Luke ending the Jedi and wanting to go gray means he stumbled upon some of Revan's teachings. I would not be surprised at all to see Revan introduced in some form or fashion in Rebels this fall, then mentioned in passing with Luke's findings in Episode 8 so that they set up a character and plant the seeds in audiences minds that this guy exists. Then do an Old Republic trilogy in between episodes 9 and 10.

15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

In regards to the single player mode from the upcoming Battlefront 2 game:

Play as Iden Versio, leader of the Inferno Squadron, and follow her story after the destruction of the Second Death Star (after Episode 6 leading up to Episode 7). Tells a whole new canon story from the Imperial side, and they have worked closely with LucasArts to make this story.

Barnstable likes this.
  16. therealdeal

I am much more interested in the game if it has some sort of understandable plot.

I like the other stuff, but not enough to keep buying versions of the game.

17. Savory Griddles

They're saying it is a "canon" story. We'll see.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. therealdeal

They said the same about the first game and I sat there wondering what part of it was canon? :D

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I've chosen to forget about that game. Plus it was all multiplayer.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I just watched Rogue 1. Well done! Quite enjoyed it.

I'd already seen the other new one, but somehow life had me disconnected during the Rogue 1 launch