Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I was being mostly flippant. They just said something so ambiguous about what they were announcing it seemed like they should have given the fans something. An official image. A poster. Something like that.

But I was just kidding anyway. I know this charity thing is very cool and a good endeavor by them.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

^^^ I guess anything to pump up viewership for their tv shows. Use some deceptive marketing to get people watching GMA. How that sort of thing still works when you can what the news was online 30 seconds after it comes out now is a mystery to me, but whatever.

Anyway, pretty damn excited for Celebration, can't wait to see that Ep 8 trailer. We've seen one shot from the filming of that movie and it's the shot we already saw in Ep 7, and we've seen a screen shot of the title. To finally see real footage and have this movie start to feel real, gonna be so awesome. I'm actually looking forward to 8 more than I was 7, because we get a Luke movie, and I think Rian Johnson is gonna make some bold choices and give this movie a totally different feel and start to really separate it from the other trilogies and give it its own unique feel. I think as some have said this is gonna be the ESB of this trilogy, darker, deeper, totally different feel than the "original".

I love TFA, but it has a slightly breezy feel to it, a bit of a modern feel with the way some of the characters talk, a shiny, glossy new look to it I realize it necessary in some ways, but it doesn't hit with me like the originals. Tiny nitpicks for me remain like BB8 being a sort of cutesy prequel type character, and even 3PO feeling more like his prequel self than the original (I have some other small things that really bug me about TFA but I won't get into it more now). I'm not sure that Rogue One is a better movie than TFA, but I personally prefer it, because they brought back characters I love, introduced characters I really cared about, the action is outstanding, it feels super gritty, dirty lived in world, really feels like the universe of the original trilogy. I love how practical TFA went with their effects, but it's still doesn't hit with me like the universe of the originals, but I think Ep 8 could start to change that.

But yeah, Celebration is gonna be sweet, the 40th anniversary panel, with rumors of everyone from Lucas, Harrison Ford, Ewan McGregor, and even Hayden Christensen being there, could be pretty damn awesome. Then there's the Last Jedi stuff, more info on Rebels season 4, and hopefully an announcement of a new movie and maybe some new tv shows, the books and video game stuff, I envy the fans in attendance.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I was there in Anaheim in 2015. Was VERY close to going this year as well, but couldn't justify going to Orlando and spending that much money without going to Disney World...which would have cost us even MORE money.

Did you go when it was in your home town?

therealdeal likes this.
  4. Weezy

Unfortunately no, I can't physically handle those types of huge crowds, I have bad anxiety. I thought it was really cool that all that SW stuff and people from the movies were like 4 miles away from me though, glad you got to go.

5. Savory Griddles

That Carrie Fisher tribute this morning was really nice. I'm typically not moved too much by celebrities dying as they're just people like anyone else, but that tribute almost made me cry....almost.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. therealdeal

Same. I just watched it. She was such an interesting woman. She's the type of woman you'd love to have in your life because she's so full of the world.

7. therealdeal

8. Weezy

Well, this looks incredible. At first I was like damn, I wanted more, but then I saw the run time and realized it was typical first trailer length and it flies by. Love what they are apparently going for here, getting way deeper into the force itself, taking this universe into brand new places. Luke reading ancient books, realizing how much bigger the force is than just Jedi, I'm so pumped. So many other quick and beautiful shots to pour over and look for new stuff, I didn't even see Phasma marching with that squad of troopers on the live stream, or what looks like possibly a temple burning as Luke looks on with R-2, in what looks like possibly the shot of them from the TFA Rey force sequence from the back. December is too damn far away.

raviator, Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  9. therealdeal

It looks like Phasma was the one who burned down Luke's school. That's a great way to validate her after she sort of didn't have much going for her in TFA.

That first shot is so gorgeous. To look like stars and then fading up into Earth it's more of that ethereal sort of feel. I agree completely I absolutely love the idea of getting deeper into the Force. The other media has done it, but the movies never have. I'm really excited to get into what it all means.

Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  10. therealdeal

11. Weezy

To me it looked like Phasma was marching in with that squad after having blown up stuff in that hanger or whatever that Poe was in. I could be wrong, but if you look close on the top left f the screen it looks like they're walking into a hanger or building as you see the arch of it up there. Also, I cannot make out the background voices, but they are there, it kind of sounds like Obi-Wan or another old character when they show the shattered Kylo Ren(?) helmet on the floor, and if for sure sounds like Yoda when they show those old books with the light beam on them.

12. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

so luke is going to be a gray force user... book it...

and right before the helmet on the floor you can hear what sounds like Leah saying "help me obiwan Kenobi"

13. therealdeal

The background sounds are:
    shot of Leia- Leia- "my only hope..."
    Shot of the broken helmet- Obi-Wan- "seduced by the Dark Side..."
    Shot of the tree?- Yoda- "surrounds us, binds us..."

Weezy likes this.
  14. therealdeal

If you pause it right there, you can see Luke is looking at some kind of structure. It looks like his school that was destroyed. Then the very next shot it's Phasma, but you're right it looks like they bait and switched it. She seems to be in a hanger, so maybe she wasn't the one who blew up Luke's school.

15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I'm one with the force and the force is with me.

16. Weezy

This poster is gorgeous by the way, I want it on my wall, so jealous that they handed them out to the people at celebration. Love the throwback to A New Hope, love the discussions it can spark. Clearly Luke is in a dark place at least at the beginning of this movie, Kylo is the dark side. Is Rey the light to snap Luke out of it, is she maybe the one to save Kylo if he's even redeemable? Is she going to save the Skywalker family front and. center in this poster, is she PART of the family? Beautiful poster for sure.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Rebels season 4 trailer:

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

18. therealdeal

Last season... Too bad. I was getting into it and really enjoying it. It's not as "adult" as Clone Wars got towards the end, but it's got some great Star Wars moments. It really seems like not everyone will survive. I hope they don't shy away from it. I know these characters are ones that kids are attached to, but really there should be some sort of end for at least some of these guys.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  19. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I have a feeling Ezra and others will end up on Mandilore

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

20. Savory Griddles

I really wonder if they are doing away with the Jedi entirely. I'm not sure that's a good move on Disney's part. I have no problem with Luke being a grey force user, but the Jedi have been at the center of the story as a force for good and the tragedy that was their destruction at the hand of the Sith. You'd almost be rewriting the first 6 movies to paint the Jedi in a way where they weren't actually all that great. I don't know. I guess it COULD work, but it would be incredibly difficult to pull off in a way where it felt organic, where it didn't feel like you were discarding the Jedi's history of saving billions of people over the course of their history...

I don't mind Jedi dabbling in the dark side a bit to harness certain abilities. But in all honesty, I would be disappointed if they stopped the Jedi completely. I kind of hope Luke is just in a bad place because first his father was a Jedi, went bad and killed all but a couple Jedi. Then his nephew was a "Jedi" and went bad and slaughtered everyone.

One thing that is interesting is there are too many rumors inferring Yoda and possibly Obi-won will be force ghosts. So if Luke is really ready to end the Jedi, are Yoda and Obi-Wan on the same page and is this a conclusion they came to together?

Barnstable likes this.