Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

To be honest, the bar is so low for me due to the PT, that ill just be satisfied if it isn't a steaming pile of crap. I think JJ is a good director and will put together something better than say the new star trek films, but I think Joss has him beat overall and will be surprised to see JJ beat out the Avengers in quality (let alone Empire)

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

[​IMG]

"What Might The Force Awakens Mean?
    (05:40)
    NEXT
    STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS / 6 NOV 2014
    STAR WARS: EPISODE VII TITLE REVEALED AS THE FORCE AWAKENS
    Filming recently wrapped.
    BY JIM VEJVODALucasfilm has revealed the title of Star Wars: Episode VII and it is ... Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The title reveal was announced today via StarWars.com.

Principal Photography recently wrapped on the J.J. Abrams-directed film, with the rumor mill saying we'll get our first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens soon.
    "

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Hate the title, but I read some spoilers that kind of make sense of it... Eh.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I am avoiding anything that could be spoilers for this movie. I read online a while back that there was spoilery concept art out for episode 7 and I got the heck out of that site and have avoided going near the art since. I was spoiled for episodes 2/3, and no matter how good or bad you think they are, that didn't help them for me in the end, or the fun of going to see them anyway.

This time, I'm going in as spoiler free as possible, I want this go to be fresh and new and fun, which is what SW used to be, and what the prequels couldn't in part ever be, because we knew the story. They could still have been fun, but that's another argument...

Anyway, just putting that out there as to why you probably won't see much of me in this thread. Oh and about that title, eh, it's fine, as long as the movie is good I don't care much about the title.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. therealdeal

How has this not been posted in here yet?

6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Brilliant teaser. I almost hope they don't even release another trailer. This was already enough to get me insanely hyped up but I don't really want to know any more info.

I've read a lot of complaints about that light saber, but I honestly don't mind if the extensions on the side are useless. It looks awesome.

Weezy likes this.
  7. Barnstable

At first I was thinking the extensions were stupid too, but then I thought about it. The hilt guard on a sword is there so an opponents blade can't slide down your blade to cut your arm. A light saber seems to be able to cut through anything except other light sabers, so it kind of makes sense to use little light blades yo guard against your opponent's light saber slicing off you arm.

Weezy likes this.
  8. therealdeal

Yeah it didn't bug me at all. I like it. It looks light a broadsword made out of light sabers.

9. Weezy

This occurred to me as well as I read all these people freaking out about a new-look lightsaber. It also occurred to me, and I could be wrong, but if this guy and a Jedi are in combat like Obi-Wan and Anakin at the end of Episode 3, very close combat where the actual lightsabers are making contact at the very lowest point they can, this bald could be spun or twisted at that point and possibly inflict some damage. To a wrist, arm, maybe even the actual lighsaber device. Holy run on sentence batman, yes I'm a nerd like that.

As for the trailer, I loved it. It gave away nothing important, it focused on the new characters, saving the reveal of the old faves, it was a teaser, just as described. Loved how it looks like a very real universe, like they used a lot of practical effect like they said they would. Loved the look of the sleek stormtroopers and their guns, and the new x-wings, everything looks like it's advanced a few decades, the core is there but it looks new. And that shot of the Falcon, gotta bring a smile to any fan's face. Can't believe it's over a year away.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  10. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Some starwar traditionalists may not agree with me but I think they should modernize some of the aspects a bit. Nothing too out there but I mean just like the look of the various vehicles and the outfits.

11. therealdeal

Hell no! :D

I think we got plenty of that with Lucas's garbage episodes 1-3. They modernized the tech and made things look shinier and newer, but it took away from the grittiness of the original trilogy. I actually like that things look a little rougher, a little harsher around the edges. It screams old trilogy and I think that's a great sign.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. Weezy

Well, I think they have in a few ways that I mentioned, like the sleek startroopers and their new guns that look way more detailed than ever before. Not sure if that's what you meant though. The other side of that argument is that SW has always existed outside of the time it was made, aside from sideburns and feathered hair. :p Hate to go nerdy again, but it's in a galaxy far far away, IMO it should just look consistent with it's own universe, but never reflect any modern styles of clothing, or possibly technology any more than fantasy films like Lord of the Rings do.

13. therealdeal

Absolutely. They exist in literally another galaxy AND a long time ago. They're not supposed to be affected by our modern styles of clothing and technology. I like that their styles are different from ours, it's what makes the universe unique and special. It's not just a different universe, it's completely self sufficient from ours.

And Weez, this is where nerds come so just embrace it. :rock:

Barnstable likes this.
  14. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

I think modernize is the wrong word, I'm all for grittiness. I mean just make certain things more bad a**. For example, Im sure Vader was back in the day but he's just goofy now, especially with that big control box on his chest. I realize vader wont be in the new movies but im just using it to make a point. Take the following fan art for example:

[​IMG]

15. Barnstable

@RasAlgethi, I can't see that picture.

But I think I get you. Never really thought about the box on Vader's chest before actually.

16. therealdeal

I loved Vader's look and I think he's reached the point where he's so legendary the box no longer matters... BUT you have to remember now that THAT particular look has been established, things work off of that look. Therefore things can't necessarily move much beyond that point. This movie is supposed to be set only a couple decades after Vader I think...

17. Barnstable

[​IMG]

18. therealdeal

19. Weezy

Star Wars Episode 7 trailer, George Lucas Special Edition version

lakersyunowin and Barnstable like this.
  20. Barnstable

Weezy likes this.