Ryan Kelly Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Oct 17, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL, I looked and there was NONE yet on Lakers Ball. Soooo......after Byron got his point across and weeded out the "softies" with his "easy run" and other "psycho drills" first day of practice, finally we may get to see some Ryan Kelly Sunday 10/19 against Jazz again. Not like we couldn't use another legit TALL front court player, that can actually shoot the effing ball, rebound, pass, starting to play on the block and other Luke Waltonish, slow, unathletic white guy stuff ([​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ). We need all the help we can get.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-ryan-kelly-20141017-story.html

The Lakers have looked especially punchless over their last three exhibition games, losing on Sunday to the Utah Jazz, 119-86.

Injuries have been a significant issue, with Ryan Kelly (hamstring), Nick Young (thumb), Jeremy Lin (ankle), Steve Nash (back), Jordan Clarkson (calf) and Xavier Henry (back) all sidelined.

Even a camp invite, rookie point guard Keith Appling, suffered a shoulder injury Thursday and will undergo an MRI on Friday.

"I don't think anybody will be probably back [on Sunday], except maybe Ryan," said Coach Byron Scott after practice Friday. "I'm not sure with Jeremy, because the other day in shootaround, he hurt his other ankle."

Lin downplayed the second injury, saying he still hopes to play Sunday, talking with reporters while receiving electrical stimulation to his right ankle. The Lakers get a quick preseason rematch against the Jazz at Staples Center.

Kelly expects to scrimmage with the team Saturday. As long as he has no setback, he'll be ready to play Sunday.

"I'm pretty close to normal," said the second-year power forward. "I feel pretty good. It's going to take a little bit of time, but I'm ready to roll."

As a rookie, Kelly averaged 8.0 points a game while shooting 47.6% from the field and 33.8% from three-point range.

The Lakers have been especially woeful from behind the arc this preseason.

"We've seen where we've struggled a little bit offensively is with that spacing," said Kelly. "I think that's something I can definitely bring to us.

"We're missing some guys who shoot the ball from that distance. Once some guys get back, we'll be knocking them down."

Scott is hoping to get close to a full roster before the season, although Young will miss 15 to 20 games while recovering from thumb surgery.

Nash's status may be tenuous throughout the season.

"Hopefully, before these last preseason games are over, we'll have a full team with Jeremy, Jordan and all those guys healthy," said Scott.

The Lakers are 1-3 through the preseason, with games remaining against the Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings and Jazz. The team opens the regular season Oct. 28, at home against the Houston Rockets.

trodgers likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

As a couple of folks said in another thread, I welcome him over Wesley Johnson.

3. LTLakerFan

Ryan ain't no small forward, not sure what you mean. I would "experiment" with Randle at small forward waaaaaaaay before doing something that crazy with Ryan. He's just "white". Doesn't mean he's Larry Bir....... errrrrrr.....Luke Walton. [​IMG]

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Kelly at the 4 does allow us to play Randle a bit more at the three, so I'm all for it.

5. LTLakerFan

^^^ "a bit more"? Haven't seen it at all from Scott yet (did I miss Randle at the 3 in a game?) but am feeling you. So to speak. [​IMG] I too am freaking frustrated with "dim bulb" Johnson who has the physical tools and the personal tutelage of one of the (few) greatest of all times...all times....Kobe Bryant, but shows next to, or exactly "to" ZIPPO improvement this year from last year after an entire summer of working with the "Master". [​IMG] Now Kobe may feel how Hakeem must feel working year after year with "Clown" Howard.

6. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I don't know that he's played 3 at all in a preseason game, but there was talk of him playing some 3. I don't know that it's a great idea, but consider him against a longer defender at the SF spot - one of those lanky players who are more defense than offense. I'd love to send Randle against one of them, because you can bet they haven't guarded many players with the strength and bulk of Randle.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Stop with the injuries. Geez.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

And i thought last season was bad. This is beyond ridiculous.

9. LTLakerFan

I don't understand this at all. This smacks of training staff and Vitti. How can Kelly be almost all the way back from left hammy to be ready to play soon, and then hurt the other hamstring. Clearly you would want to stretch, yoga, acupuncture, whatever the hell to to make his apparently susceptible to Scott's training drills and methods.... hamstrings LESS SUCCEPTIBLE. I never bought the Vitti and trainers blame but since he's likely not going 100% on the original injury yet, how does he hurt the healthy other leg in same muscle. Smack my effing head.

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Good lord

11. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    :bang eff wtf

12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Time to sign Roscoe Smith?

13. LTLakerFan

And cut whom? Not Ryan.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

No, can't do that obviously. I know. It's frustrating because we currently have 6 guys who can't play and yet we don't have room to sign anyone. Granted Lin will be coming back soon. But who knows about X? Who knows about Nash? And of course another set back to Kelly, plus Clarkson is an unknown . . . At least we have a timetable for Swaggy.

15. LTLakerFan

In a perfect Lakers world, sad as it is to say, cut Nash's a$$ first, then X's if needed to happen to guarantee we had some shot at performance from a "useful" player this year. I don't know much about Roscoe and haven't seen much of his game. Would what it be that Roscoe can demonstrably bring from what we have seen, that it might be worth letting X go? Nash in a heartbeat. He gets in the heat of high speed NBA physicality and battle and no longer has any chance of staying healthy. Cut him, eat his salary and sign Roscoe?

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Any update on Ryan?

17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Last I heard would practice Monday and play next week, per Rotoworld two days ago maybe.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking forward to getting him back eventually. He hustles for boards, he blocks more shots than you'd think, and he can shoot.

19. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Having a stretch 4 will help spread the floor. Kelly can provide that.

20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

We really need him lately. We've got a lot of B-level big men and we need to run them by committee like we did last night. Having another body with six more fouls would be a good thing. Especially with his unique skill set.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.