Ryan Kelly Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

So, uh, who's time is he taking away? We haven't exactly been hurting for players or a stretch 4 lately. Lately our guards are shooting pretty great from 3 and our bigs have been about D and rebounding with some quality scoring thrown in. I see no space for Kelly right now unless Sacre is out and Boozer is suddenly a C, which I don't like.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Good question. We do need to see him again though and get him some minutes to knock the rust off.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Who is going to be here next season, Kelly or Boozer?

Play Kelly.

trodgers likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

Lakers News: Ryan Kelly, Tarik Black Could Change Frontcourt Rotation
    Posted by: Corey Hansford Posted date: January 02, 2015 In: News | Comments : 51[​IMG]
    [​IMG]SHARE[​IMG]TWEET
    [​IMG]

Ever since making his changes to the starting lineup, Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott has had a pretty set rotation, especially when it comes to the frontcourt. Jordan Hill, Ed Davis and Carlos Boozer all get around 25 minutes depending on who is playing best that night, and Robert Sacre has averaged around 15 minutes as well.

With Ryan Kelly set to return from injury and the Lakers claiming Tarik Black off waivers, there are two more players looking to crack the rotation and according to Lakers reporter Mike Trudell, the lineup will change some:

In particular, Scott is looking to find Kelly some minutes because of his ability as a stretch four via Trudell:

The addition of both players gives the Lakers some different options depending on the matchup each night. Last year, Kelly turned out to be one of the more consistent rotation players and even earned a starting job by the time the season ended.

Black gives the Lakers more defense and toughness, which is something Scott is always looking for. It will be interesting to see how Scott works his rotations and substitutions with so many options.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-...-could-change-frontcourt-rotation/2015/01/02/

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Give kelly and black Sacre and boozers minutes. Don't see it happening though.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Boozer has been great for us off the bench. I'd pick him over Kelly if they cost the same next summer. Kelly will obviously be cheaper, so he's the guy but still.

As things go I'm glad to have Kelly back. He's shown really solid potential, but hamstring injuries are no joke. Those can linger forever. Hopefully he's past his and ready to go. I'd give him all of Rob's minutes.

Chillbongo and trodgers like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I read a tweet a day or two ago from Trudell where he said Scott told the media he would "scrap" minutes from Hill, Davis, Sacre, and Boozer to get Kelly in the rotation.

Whether or not this actually happens, this is Byron's plans.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I like to ease Kelly back into the fold, but I like Scott's plan with him going forward; if/when he plays the 5, you have another guy that could space the floor. I would like to see a 4 out 1 in type sets if Kelly is in there with Kobe; space the floor with shooters and have Kobe operate from the post. If they load up and double, he's been reading and reacting to the defense pretty well, lately.

Point is that as Scott alluded too Kelly provides a different skillset than most of our bigs, and I welcome to get back into the fold and prove/earn his worth out there on the floor...most important thing, stay healthy, Ryan.

9. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Boozer's playing like a championship caliber sub.

I agree that it's way more likely Kelly is here next year compared with Boozer, but I start finding Kelly small spots and let Boozer roll (until we can trade him unless he's amenable to returning cheap).

10. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Get your legs back, young fella. You been thrown to the wolves.

11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    looked good out there tonight for being out so long, those 2 wide open 3's he missed will fall once he gets his game legs back.

Nice to have you back R. Kelly

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I liked his hustle tonight. He showed some rust on that patented long range shot but I expect that to return sooner than later. It'll fall. Keep letting 'em fly.

13. therealdeal

Definitely winded out there. Wide open threes need to fall if he's going to carve out minutes for himself.

14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I mentioned it twice the in the GD thread...don't put him out there with Boozer, please. He needs a rim protector. Davis/Kelly, Hill/Kelly, even Tarik/Kelly...he needs an athletic, rim protecting big, at either the 4 or the 5.

15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If you put boozer and kelly out there be prepared to give up layup after layup.

16. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm glad Kelly got some burn so he can start to get his game legs back. I'd like to keep Kelly and I think we should keep Boozer too if he's cheap and willing to play off the bench.

It's possible that if we pull it together by the end of the season and convince a big free agent to join us in the summer, guys like Boozer will want to stay on the cheap.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Last chance for Booz for a semi-sorta-decent contract. I think that is doubtful. Unless Lakers give it to him. Also doubtful with Randle and now Black here as well. We should be keeping Davis.

18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Booz is actually very good off the bench. If he is willing to stay cheap, I'd re-sign him. He's just not a starter at this point in his career, but as a veteran backup he's valuable.

therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

if that's his market, I'm sure a contender would pay him as much as the lakers would, and he'd rather go that route.

I do like him off the bench, though.

I feel like Kelly has a place in the league, but he's going to have to stay healthy for a stretch to prove it. that may not happen.

20. therealdeal

Well I hated watching him play SF, but it definitely spaced the floor better last night offensively. Defensively he was abused. Heck Copeland even took him to the rim once for an And-One which was unacceptable to me.