Romo Vs. Kaepernick

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by trodgers, Dec 14, 2014.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Put Luck on the Seahawks and we'd be talking dynasty.

John3:16 and therealdeal like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed.

I've also got a slight affinity for Flacco. He's by no means a great QB, but he's got a winning quality about himself. Got to love a guy who plays better when the chips are on the table. Although I hate Eli Manning so maybe that doesn't make a ton of sense.

3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Interestingly, Luck is just as fast as Cam, Kaep, and Wilson. Dude is a beast. Strong arm, fast, doesn't appear to be blinded by the glare of the big moment.

on another site, prior to his draft, I proposed my Niners trade Patrick Willis for him. Ridiculous now, but at the time, it wasn't.

therealdeal likes this.
  4. therealdeal

Well coming out of college there was a debate of who is better he or Griffin III. The answer is so incredibly obvious now, but there was certainly that question. If SF could have pulled the trigger on that, they should have. They might have a ring right now instead of Seattle.

By the way who is that Borland dude? Came on the scene late in the season and just tore it up.

5. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Borland is an absolute stud. The only reason he got on the field is because Willis and Bowman were hurt. He started about game 6 and got hurt in game 14. So basically he played half the season. he had over 100 tackles. Just amazing!!! Who makes 2nd Team All Pro when they only played 1/2 the season? as a rookie.

Now the question is, who does SF keep? Willis and Bowman are 2 of the top 5 LBs in the league, but Willis is slowing down and Bowman is coming off a horrific injury. Both also make $10+ million. Borland is on a rookie contract. Wilhoite is also really good. Not spectacular, but he played all year and was very consistent and steady.

If I were in charge, one of the WIllis / Bowman combo would be gone. Gotta let Borland play. Or switch the defense to a 4-3 and start all three of them. No way you can have all three on the roster and not play them 80% of the defensive snaps.

6. therealdeal

Yeah I play fantasy in a IDP league and this guy snatched up Borland almost took him to the playoffs. He was putting up absolutely ridiculous numbers. As a former LB and a big fan of Ray Lewis, I have a ton of love for Willis. I know Bowman is also a stud and the two of them make a strong duo, but if I can shed Bowman somehow I probably do it. Give Borland the shot man he really deserves it. Wilhoite for depth and to give a breather really helps keep them all fresh. I hope Willis can bounce back. I'm not a Niners fan per se, but I love good LBs and Willis is great.

Back to QBs, where do you think Kaep ranks in the young guys talk?

7. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Tough to gauge. Prior to this season, I had him #2 behind Luck (among the young QBs). No idea where hes at now. He is going to work with Kurt Warner for the next 11 weeks. I am hopeful.

This season, he completed 60% and Crabtree and Boldin had 16 drops. Take away those 16 passes and he's at 65%. Not bad. V Davis was horrible too. But he didn't throw a single 4th qtr TD this year and only had 1 rushing TD. makes no sense. O line was pretty bad and didn't run enough, but just a bad year.

8. therealdeal

I'd probably go Luck, Wilson, Newton if he counts, then Kaepernick.

I'm struggling to tell if the regression this season was due to poor play calling (which I hated all year) or if it was actually his fault. Kaep tends to throw the ball 100 mph and put pressure on his receivers to catch lightening. It's good for getting into tight windows, but it leads to more drops and sometimes interceptions. Well, Davis just drops a lot anyway, but for the other guys that's got to be hard to catch. He's got to learn subtlety at the position.

Wilson is actually pretty similar, but he's given much more freedom to run if need be and his offensive line is strong in protection.

John3:16 likes this.
  9. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Newton, eh? I think he has regressed since joining the league.
    Yards, TDs, TOs
    4497, 31, 22
    4366, 27, 13
    3628, 30, 16
    3366, 23, 14
    His Rating and QBR haven't improved (I think they've basically dropped or stayed the same each year).

I think Derek Carr will be better than Newton, and I think he'll be better than Kaep, but I do think Kapernick is better than Newton.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Yards are passing + rushing - sacked lost.
    TOs are Fumbles Lost and INTs.

11. therealdeal

To be fair he missed a few games this year, but it's a fair point. I think watching the two of them (Kaep vs. Newton) they're pretty similar, but Newton is a little headier while Kaep is still more explosive on his feet. It's not a great difference, but it's something I just feel watching the two QBs right now.

If you switch their teams/OCs then I might switch their positions. That's how down I am on the SF offensive coordination from this last season.

trodgers likes this.
  12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    SF as a team has fallen. Two years ago they looked poised for dynasty status. Two years later they're in a "retooling" phase. That's crazy.

13. therealdeal

True. Not to belabor a point, but I really hated their offense! They moved away from Gore, which is fine if you're giving those opportunities to Hyde but they weren't. They were forcing too much on Kaepernick and his arm. Give the running game a shot, you've got two plus RBs back there. Seattle really protects Wilson by having/using Marshawn Lynch. The Niners should be doing the same thing. Defensively they've had a crap ton of injuries so I don't even blame them for that, but their offense to me was unforgivable this season.

Kind of like running an inside pitch to Witten on the goal line with Dallas last week. What the hell? I mean seriously 2nd and short and you go with a pitch underneath to the TE? Who the hell is calling plays in the NFL these days??

Or that pass-back-to-the-QB play with the Bengals earlier this year?! That play should have been a concussion for Dalton, but he got away with one as the defender tried to intercept the ball and missed. Just no reason to get cute in the NFL. It's hard enough already.

trodgers likes this.
  14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    That's an interesting way for Romo's season to end. He threw only 19 passes, but his Rating was 143.6. He didn't turn the ball over, but the Cowboys lost.

Romo's now 2-4 in postseason.

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    He had a few plays where he should have thrown the ball away and got hit hard for it, but all in all he had a solid game. We should be talking about that 4th and 2 perfect dime to Dez, but regardless this game was in no way his fault.

Defense couldn't get pressure on Rodgers or make stops in the secondary. Those two have been the weakest areas on the Cowboys all season, no surprise it's one of the main reasons we lost today.

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Didn't like the call, but oh well. Romo was solid. The Murray fumble was huge. Rodgers was amazing.

17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Put ELI Manning on the Broncos and they would win the big games. Beating a Rex Grossman for some reason just does not resonate enough for me...

John3:16 likes this.
  18. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Dallas will surely re-tool that defense in the offseason. That DeMarcus Lawrence looks like a find while that Demarcus that went to Denver did not make an impact today. Romo should be healthy by training camp plus that O-Line will be back. I like their chances in that division given the contempt I have for Chip Kelly and Philly.

19. therealdeal

Dallas's defense was abused most of the game. I don't put that loss on Romo necessarily, but he definitely showed why he's not in the upper echelon of QBs.

He has this weird tendency to hold on to the ball too long and take sacks. I think it comes from a fear of throwing that game-losing interception, but it's a huge problem. He kept taking sacks in that game instead of throwing the ball away.

Not to mention their OC wouldn't give the ball to Murray on short yardage situations. What's that all about? Fourth and two and you don't give it to your NFL leading RB for two yards? Is this crazy town?

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    He doesn't have a fear of game losing interceptions. He does it to because he thinks he can escape any situation and make plays. He never throws the ball away, whether it be 1st quarter or 4th quarter, he never does.

He doesn't know when to throw the ball away and concede the play failed, he's not scared of throwing INT's, he's a gunslinger like Favre.