Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I like the hire , too bad it didn't come sooner , imagine him as a GM already knowing what a lot of teams want/the trades teams are working on for certain players , we probably could have robbed a team ...

As many said on Twitter , he's losing a lot money going from agent to GM so he's not taking this job to become Magic's puppet

2. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'm also wondering why you would become a GM?

I believe agents make way more money especially with the clients that he has.

Barnstable, revgen and sirronstuff like this.
  3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I believe being a GM means staying at home more often. He lives in the LA area. He's 47 years old, so he probably wants to spend more time with his family rather than flying out to meet players he represents or recruiting new clients. He'll still have to do some traveling for scouting/meetings and other activities, but probably not as much as he has to do as an agent. He's been working as an agent since the mid-90's, so he has plenty of $$ saved up. He can afford to take less money for a job closer to home.

4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Well he is set for life and wants to do something else .

If you love B-ball , being a GM is a FASCINATING job ..

Toklat, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I think it's about the challenge. He has money to last three lifetimes but the chance to build something and achieve immortality is too much to pass up kinda like Ari Gold.

6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Plus by all accounts, the Lakers are the team he really knows and has the deepest relationship with

revgen, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

He will definitely be taking a paycut. Just shows how much he wants to do this in my book.

alam1108, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree. And that matters to me.

alam1108, LTLakerFan, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  9. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Ryan West .... geez that West name carries too much weight. If he was that wiz kid he'd be gone by now!

10. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Doubt it. You have to remember he's not a one man show. He has employees, taxes, and bills to pay as well. I'm guessing he's going to get $4-5mm per as a GM

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's a pay cut for an agent. If he took just 3% of Kobe's 48 million dollar deal, he got 1.4 million (he could have gotten much more). If he got 3% of Harden's giant 117 million dollar contract, he got over 3 million there and like I said he probably got much more than that. Those are just two of his clients and I already got close to your 4-5 million dollar estimate. He's got many more clients than that and he probably took a better percentage of their deals.

ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.
  12. therealdeal

Yeah the more I think about this, the better I feel.

One of the biggest criticisms that I'm seeing from the general media, specifically Woj (who seems to really not like the Lakers), is that Magic is a novice who doesn't know what he's doing. The media has been very, very quick to point out that if we're relying on Magic to get deals done just because he's charismatic and he's Magic and he's a legend and all that, then we've missed the point and we're going to continue to fail in FA.

What most of them don't want to admit is that Pelinka is going to negate a lot of those issues. Magic is not here to be the pitch man, he's the closer. The pitch man is Pelinka who has ties all across the league both to players and front offices. He's got players on teams across the country from high paid stars to low men on the totem pole. He's got a great knowledge of the new CBA and will be able to navigate it easier than Mitch did. Pelinka is the one who will be explaining to agents what sort of team we can and will build around them and that's a huge positive. I'm not saying he's going to be a great GM off the bat, that's unlikely, but I am saying he'll be better at a lot of the things Mitch struggled with.

Magic is just here to put the cherry on top. Magic is here to be a likable personality capable of swaying someone on the fence. He'll emphasize our culture, our desire to win above all else, how we treat our players with the utmost respect and adulation, and that we're going to leave no stone unturned in trying to reach the peak. These may all be buzz words and smoke and mirrors, but they are important when dealing with a potential client. After Pelinka convinces the FA that the Lakers CAN do something, it's up to Magic to prove that we WILL and I think Magic will excel in that area just like Dr. Buss did before him.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Based on request and a great idea

[​IMG]

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    you're quick to the draw

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What are you saying? :KobeConfused:

Cookie likes this.
  16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

We will know this summer and the summer of 2018 how good this new front office will be.

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

According to Romona, a lot of other front office people in the league aren't too happy with this hire. The main reason being there was no hiring process. She said that the Lakers could have pretty much have whichever GM they wanted. Insinuating a lot of people were interested in the job.

18. therealdeal

Except that to hire those people would require extraordinary effort. She said many people were interested, including a lot of other teams' GMs, but to get them we'd have to sacrifice something like the Clippers did to get Rivers. This way we didn't have to sacrifice anything and Pelinka is an interesting candidate anyway.

edit: here's the link http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play

She goes over it at 8:50 or so.

ElginTheGreat, alam1108 and Weezy like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure why Pelinka would do this. It is likely a massive paycut. I'm also not ready to jump on board that he's the next great GM. The dude has never even been an assistant GM. A lot of smart, well connected dudes fail in whatever industry they are in. So much of it is luck. Look at Mitch and Jim. If the ping pong balls dropped slightly different and we got Towns instead of Russell, are they fired right now?

KB24, ZenMaster and Juronimo like this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday she was saying we didn't want to wait though, that's why we moved quick. She was saying we didn't want to get permission to speak to other teams GMs and give them compensation if we hired them. She did say a lot of people came out and wanted this job, some you wouldn't expect, but if we didn't want to sit around and wait, I don't see why people would be mad at us.