Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Entire Interview:

Rob said you have to see what the Warriors did when they drafted their players and instead of trading them for more ready type all stars (remember when Klay for Love was out there) they held tight and are reaping the rewards now

Lakeshow85, TIME, shoe and 1 other person like this.
  3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    I agree but at the time Klay was still looked at as a legit future multi year all-star. I remember thinking I wouldn't do it either at the time.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Didn't Mitch reject an offer of Klay by GSW for Duh-wight because Kupcrap wanted Barnes instead and GS won't part with him lol...

5. vasashi17

Fans need to understand that with the Dubs and their home grown talent, none of them dudes were 1 and done like Zo and BI were. Curry and Klay had stayed in school for 3 years while Dray had a 4 year collegiate career. Sure Hart had a 4 year collegiate career also and Kuz had a 3 year collegiate career, but when you preach patience and use the Dubs as a standard, BI and Zo are still a couple years out.

The Dubs took a few years to start cooking but all them dudes were somewhat grown before they even threw on a NBA jersey. Also in the case of Curry and Thompson, they had NBA dads and resources that made for an easier transition to the pro stage.

I'm patient to see what our kids can do, but they need to be fast tracked in their development (ie playoff exposure). We are comparatively much younger than their core so we can't be as patient as they were in getting to where they are now....It would take too long.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. I'm more looking at the Boston model right now.

Hayward, Kyrie, and Horford are all older and drive the ship. Tatum, Brown, and Rozier are the younger guys who fuel the ship forward.

LeBron, George, Randle (?) drive the ship. Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart push the ship forward.

Something like that is not only sustainable, but makes us competitive today and tomorrow. I liked Rob's usage of Boston in the interview as well saying basically that youth does not equate to lack of production. That was a straight shot towards the conventional wisdom and the type of mentality that shipped Wiggins out of Cleveland. Rob was basically saying, if you're joining the Lakers you're on board with the youngsters, at least most of them. We have the type of young cast that want to win, work hard, and are going to put their best on the floor more often than not. If Boston's young guys can do it, so can ours. I don't think Tatum, Rozier, and Brown are significantly better than Kuzma, Ingram, and Ball. I believe our guys can hold their own for sure.

So hey George or LeBron, if you want in then you're in for the Boston model, not the Cleveland model that is about to leave their roster a wreck of bloated contracts and overrated youngsters.

alam1108, Toklat, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Maybe I'm looking through Purple & Gold lenses, but

[​IMG]

I would not trade Ingram, Ball, Kuz for Tatum, Brown, Rozier. Their three are really good and have just proved it where it counts in the playoffs. I think our three are going to be better.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Never heard that rumor. I think your Mitch hate has warped your memory a bit.

Juronimo and therealdeal like this.
  9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The rumors were we wanted both Klay and Barnes for Howard, and of course the Warriors said no. Rumor was they were only willing to part with like Bogut and Barnes, I can’t recall if Klay was ever on the table, maybe it was Bogut and one of Klay or Barnes. We still have no way of knowing what’s true, but I still think the Warriors really didn’t want to give up Klay.

10. vasashi17

What's true is that Mitch was a GM that was lost in the continuously evolving NBA...He was Jimmy's yes man...He was much lesser of a GM than his mentor, JW....The Lakers are better without him.

:Pelinka QFT:

11. therealdeal

I think there's a solid argument for both sides, but I'm with you. I think Ingram is better than Brown, he just hasn't had a chance to show it yet. I think Kuzma and Tatum are closer to a push than most realize. Ball is far, far more talented than Rozier. Rozier is a third year player even. Then you keep going down the list, give me Josh Hart over Marcus Smart 1 million times out of a million.

I'd also pick LeBron, George, Julius over Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford.

12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Kobe Snickering:

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Well to be fair lonzo and Rozier are different players. I think it's fair to both sides and say its a push. But I believe our guys have more ceiling, so I would say at the end of the day I definitely keep our guys instead if I had the choice.

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

The C Bags youth is really good; and Tatum is going to be special.

That said, love the interview with Rob; time to expedite our youth's development and get back in the PO's.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  17. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    A MUST watch for all Lakers fan.

The entire Post Draft Press Conference where Rob talks about their picks, progress of our young guys, and the upcoming free agency period.

I'm SO EXCITED!

18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Nice interview. If these 2 picks become rotational players, it just adds some very nice asset(s) or players you can keep on the cheap that can hopefully contribute on the cheap.

I've really liked what Magic & Rob have done to shape this roster. It has become way more balanced as we continue to put the pieces to the puzzle together to get back to where we belong...

Cookie, TIME, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  19. vasashi17

So the narrative that no one wants to help the Lakers is true?

Not sure if this is Kawhi related or Deng related. It's kinda telling that no major contracts were moved last night. That Bron/Kawhi domino is going to be a MFer to drop...

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  20. therealdeal

That's a really grabby headline. He said he's dealing with teams right now so it's not like there's an invisible barrier or anything. He made it seem like there's just some hesitation to help us because teams in the past have gotten such a hard time over it (Memphis). Nobody wants to be the team that facilitates a dynasty. Hell look at how Brooklyn is dragged through the mud for their awful trade with the C Bags.

That being said the REAL big quote from that interview is what he had to say about the players.

So the real grabby quote isn't "oh teams don't want to help us", it's "we don't f***ing care what teams want, the players want to be here. So get on board or get out of the way"."