Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

She likely won't fire Rob, but the new President should have the authority to do it. If we pick a competent one, my guess is he will... if what we are hearing in the media about Pelinka is true.

KB24, Cookie and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

My guess is the new President will be in-house...and he'll more than likely agree to keep Pelinka on board, IMO. But what do I know?

3. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Past precedent would suggest that. But the only concrete name I've heard (Bob Myers) suggests that may not be the case this time. We can only hope and see.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Sooo Linda Rambis is our new President?

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yikes.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Does anyone that Rob didn't represent as an agent like him? Seriously, if it was only one source reporting on people not liking him, I would be skeptical. But every single person with any sources talking about this situation ALL say that he isn't liked by other agents or management from other teams. And he's the only man we currently have behind the wheel?! God help us. Hell, even Magic (maybe) tried to fire him.

Like I said in the Magic thread, I'd be fine with him in some capacity when it came to meeting with players during FA because he's been on the other side of that table 100s of times. But how about we end it there and not give him more power and things to f*** up.

If half of the leak rumors are true, he's one hell of a snake.

Jeanie needs to threaten that the next person who leaks anything will be fired on the spot. It makes us look like a goddamn joke and a JV franchise.

If he's staying, we need a very competent president from the outside. Sorry Rambis, but no. If I were to put money on it, I think he stays for the time being, Jeanie doesn't want to perpetuate the mass turnover rate the Lakers have been boasting in recent years.

7. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

well we had a regular at jim buss's local bar as head scout so linda rambis might actually be considered qualified

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We are FUBAR.

ElginTheGreat and Weezy like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Kobe's man = hired. No way in hell he gets the job without Bean's recomendation.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    This story basically writes down what deep inside everyone here has realized a while ago...except Vash

:Jacksnicker:

ElginTheGreat, abeer3, Khmrp and 2 others like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Well, it's a good thing we made all those strategic trades and releases to build relationships with other agents and teams. They seemed to have really paid dividends for our front office, especially Rob Pelinka who is now loved by all.

:Crazyartest:

KB24, ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

henry abbott talking about bias in the media is...f***ing rich.

Battle Tested20, TIME, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

I don't all of a sudden think Abbott is a beacon of truth, but all these people in the media likely don't have the same sources, yet all their sources are saying the same thing. If Abbott was the only one saying this, I'd be less worried. Unfortunately, it's EVERYBODY.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Define a "while ago"...

Check out all the posts in the first few pages of this thread. You sure everyone here realized it? Most of y'all are trying to blow FUMAR now.

I concede that dude getting a Mamba endorsement meant to me that he was a killer and I thought that would work in our favor in getting deals done.

But it sure looks like he rubbed some people the wrong way.

Myers looks to be a good option, but whether it was a Lacob directive or not, you can look at what the dubs did to McCaw and claim it was not in the player's best option. Meanwhile we did give Jules a jumpstart to being unrestricted when we didn't have to.

You can look at KD saying its all about that bag now and the narrative that Klay will be out if that max isn't sitting on the table July 1st and even Dray enlisting the services of Klutch. Heck, they were this close to trading Curry to the Bucks for Bogut till Milwaukee pulled out of that deal.

http://www.knbr.com/2019/01/15/buck...nted-to-trade-stephen-curry-for-andrew-bogut/

I always hear that Bron got his Cavs ring cause Dray got suspended. Yet, how about acknowledging that dude lost Ky and Love essentially for the entire Finals for the dubs to get their first ring. Then the dubs fell into a box of cupcakes when none of the cap experts saw that type of cap bubble coming.

Myers is a good GM, but it took some luck along the way.

16. Savory Griddles

It always takes luck to put together a champion. Gasol for Kwame? Kobe for Vlade? The Admiral getting hurt to where the Spurs got the #1 pick for Duncan? The unprecedented cap spike while Curry was still on his "Bad Ankle Contract."

But people like Meyers and respect him. Multiple people citing multiple sources have said Pelinka is hated.

Now as far as the first few pages of the thread, it seemed like a good idea at the time. We were coming off one of the worst periods in Laker history. But we didn't have all the information at that point. We took Magic at his word that he would give his all to the job. We found out later he would disappear for long periods and refused to put in the grind. We liked that Rod was a shark, but it seems like he was less of a shark and more of a weasel.

I think when he says a while ago, he meant as we filled out our roster, let go of players, didn't get meetings with people who were "hellbent" on joining us...these were red flags. The season slowly fell apart and things got worse. Almost everyone was excited about the hire when it happened. But new information was gathered. Cracks started showing.

17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I don't know if anyone grasped just how hated Rob apparently is.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Right. Rob was painted as a shark that would do anything for his clients even if meant crossing the line sometimes. A few people referenced that he might have to smooth things over with GMs but I don't recall anyone saying that he was out and out hated to the point that people would refuse to do business with him.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Another fun listen, they really go after Pelinka and they are hoping like hell Jeanie doesn’t mess up a golden opportunity

ElginTheGreat and alam1108 like this.
  20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If thats the case, everyone must. Sell the team and start from scratch.

JSM, ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.