Reliving An Old Rumor

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by davriver209, Feb 5, 2018.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    hey guys, if this isn’t the right spot, please go ahead and move the thread. It’s old news, but I never truly followed it because of how upset I was.

So we had two rings in a row and we were going for our third. Odom having his best year and our team looked unstoppable.
    Dallas dismantles us and we get swept.

Now, I’m sure most of you remember, but there was a rumor regarding Pau Gasols girlfriend and Shannon brown having an affair, and it caused Gasol to completely shut down during the season.

Was that rumor ever confirmed? Is there any validity to it? Or was it just Gasol getting old? I was just thinking about that season and how we almost did another freaking three peat.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I never heard any confirmation of it. But something was definitely messing with Pau's head. I've never seen him like he was that year. Totally whiny, wimpy and disconnected from the game.

I was so upset by it. Pau had become one of my favorite Lakers of all time after we beat the C Bags and had won two championships in a row. He was looking like an all time great. I was so angry at the guy and couldn't figure out what was up with him. Phil Jackson smacking him in the chest during the playoffs with Dallas was telling. Pau let us down and he was never the same.

Phil Jackson alluded to a "Family issue" with Pau that year as the cause for his distraction in his book. But I never heard anything more. I wonder?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

She was a looker. I could see the depression if it ended. However one of many gorgeous GFs over the years if an image search for Pau's GF is undertaken.

4. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Where is that girlfriend now?

5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

pretty sure they broke up

i don't think there was any truth to the shannon brown rumour but there was no doubt something going on between pau and the girlfriend. i also remember hearing something along the lines of pau was cheating on her and kobe's wife brought that to the attention of pau's GF which started all the drama.

whatever it was, it got to pau's head bigtime because he completely fell apart in the playoffs that year and that was pretty much the beginning of the end for him. he never looked like his old self again with the lakers. actually, the entire team fell apart in that dallas series and these rumours no doubt played a role in that. i remember bynum coming out and saying the team had trust issues. not something you want to hear during a playoff run

here's an ESPN story from may 2011 regarding the drama
    http://www.espn.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6522942

Jaguar likes this.
  6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...those rumors were unverified. That crew just ran out of gas winning something like their last 20 or 23 to secure the division title and West home court advantage something like that. Struggled against Nawlins then the flame-out against Dallas. Blew an 18 point lead in Game 1... Who knows if 24 sank that potential game winning trey in the first game it might have been a different series.

432J and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.