Randle Gives Update On Injury

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

"
    Randle Gives Update on Injury

[​IMG]
    by Joey Ramirez
    New Media Content Intern
    Posted: Nov 04, 2014

slide.jpg

Since fracturing the tibia in his right leg on opening night, Julius Randle has gone through successful surgery and begun his recovery process. During halftime of the Lakers' matchup with Phoenix Tuesday, Randle updated the media on his injury.

Q: On how difficult this has been for him:
    Randle: The pain has gotten relatively better every day. Right now it’s just a process. But honestly I’m not down (or) upset. I’ve had my share of tears and frustration and everything. I’m over it, so it’s motivating.

Q: On how long it took to change his mindset:
    Randle: Right after surgery. Of course I was upset, frustrated. But you have good family and friend and teammates and coaches around you, it makes the process a lot easier.

Q: On what happened during the play and when he realized he had a serious injury:
    Randle: It was just a regular play. Just drove right. When I went up, it felt like somebody kicked me. I haven’t really looked at it – the detail of what happened or the play. But it felt like somebody kicked me.

It was just like a ‘pop’ sound, basically. I didn’t even think it was my leg because I didn’t feel it. So I heard a pop sound, but I didn’t feel it. But once I got back down on the ground, I didn’t even try to get up. My leg was just too weak. It wasn’t any pain or anything. I was in discomfort, but I really wasn’t in any pain. There really wasn’t any pain until I got on the x-ray table. It was more shock, just (being) upset, because I knew, as soon as I did it, what it was, and I told Gary Vitti.

He’s like, “What happened?” I said, “I broke my leg.” I knew exactly what it was. It was more just being upset about what was gonna come, but I’m fine.

Q: On what he remembers about the moment when he was laying on the court and his teammates got up to give them support:
    Randle: It was great team camaraderie – just us being together, those guys helping me out – (but) more than anything, I was just ready to get out of there, honestly. Those guys really helped me, pushed me through it. But I was just ready to get out of there, honestly. I knew it was broken, and I just wanted to have surgery.

Q: On who has visited him since he has been injured and what was the best piece of advice that he has received:
    Randle: A lot of the guys came to see me. I went to shootaround today with the guys and stuff. The best piece of advice for me, and why I’m not upset or down on myself right now, is because it was in God’s plan. Honestly, that’s as simple as I can put it. He wouldn’t put me through anything I couldn’t get through. So it’s that simple. I prayed about it. And more than anything, it’s just motivation for me.

Q: On his emotions that day, with the injury and his first NBA game:
    Randle: Honestly, I wasn’t even caring about the first NBA game. I was worried about my health more than anything, and me getting out of the pain and discomfort. So I was just ready to have surgery. Gary Vitti was talking to me, and he was like, “We’ll probably have surgery tomorrow morning.” I was like: “Why can’t we have it tonight and just get it over with?” I was just more worried about getting out of the pain and discomfort and starting the rehabilitation.

Q: On if he has a plan for what he wants to get done during this injured season:
    Randle: I do have an attack plan. I do. Like I said, more than anything, I’m just motivated. So I do have an attack plan.

Q: On how he would rate his pain during when he injured his leg:
    Randle: It wasn’t that bad. When I initially did it, I didn’t really start feeling any throbbing until I got on the table and they gave me medicine like shots or whatever. I didn’t feel the pain until I had surgery that morning, and then that night they told me to get out of bed and walk. That’s when I started having pain. But each day – I can really say each day – guys have been looking after me, and I’ve gotten better every day. (I’m) able to put pressure on it and walk. And honestly, I really have gotten better each day thanks to family and friends and teammates.

Q: On what some of the steps in his attack plan are:
    Randle: Right now it’s just to get out of the pain. Once I get out of that, hopefully in about six weeks I’ll be able to walk with just once crutch. We’ll see from there. I don’t want to give you guys too much (of a) timetable. I want to go at my own speed; make sure I’m comfortable (with) what I’m doing. Hopefully, (in) six weeks I can walk a little bit better, start to put more pressure on it.

Q: On whether it’s frustrating that he is missing a transition year between college and the pros:
    Randle: It’s tough not to be out there to play. But now I become an extreme student of the game. Not even just watching our team. Just watching everybody, how the game is played. Now that I’ve been out there and got a feel for it, I know what I need to work on. I know what I have to do to come back (and) be successful next year. And that’s it. I’m just gonna be a student.

Q: On if he will focus on the mental aspect of the game during his rehab year, like Kobe Bryant did when he missed extended time:
    Randle: Yeah … The night I had broken (my leg), (Bryant) texted me. And we were talking, and he was one of the main people that helped me really get out of my pity party, saying, “It’s happened to players before. You’re not the first, and you’re gonna have a great comeback.” He was like: “Your rehabilitation and your mindset starts now.” And it did. I’ve struggled (some) days, but at the end of the day I’ll be fine.

Q: On if he has spoken with James Worthy, who broke his leg when he was a rookie:
    Randle: James called me that night. … He was saying how he sees so much of himself in me, and it’s just crazy we had the same injury. I don’t even think mine was to the extent that his (was), honestly. I think his was a little bit worse. We broke the same bone, but his was a little more complicated. But James really helped me.

Q: On how the injury compares to when he injured his foot in high school:
    Randle: Honestly, my foot in high school, I was so dramatic about it. I can’t lie. I was upset, and my mom just had to get me going. I was just down, didn’t want to do anything. This is way more serious. It’s 100 percent recovery, but it’s way more pain and discomfort than my foot was. My foot wasn’t even a big deal, I don’t think. After a couple days, I was off the pain meds. With this, it’s way more to it. My mindset’s honestly just been better. Honestly, I haven’t pouted. I haven’t pointed the finger and said, “Why me?” It’s been none of that. Honestly, it’s just motivation. I can’t wait to get back right, so I can go out and be successful for my team.

Q: On if he will have to remind himself to slow down as he makes his return.
    Randle: Without a doubt, if I’m not right I won’t push myself. That may have been the case with my foot. I was right, but I went too hard too fast. So if I’m not right, I’m not gonna push myself. With that said, other than physically, there (are) ways to get better. Being a student of the game mentally, just knowing your body, studying your body – everything. There (are) ways to get better other than just physically. And if I’m mentally right, when I come back physically, I’ll be able to do some things.

Q: On what his daily routine is like:
    Randle: Today was the first day I got out of the house. I think I went home from the hospital on Friday, stopped taking the pain medicine Friday. I’ve just been sitting on the couch, man. I think I got my Xbox hooked up downstairs today, so that was good. Mom helped me do that. … The biggest difficulty for me is sleep. It’s hard for me to get comfortable and sleep, because I lay down so much, so I don’t want to sleep.

Q: On if the pain is mainly in his leg:
    Randle: Honestly, it wasn’t my legs. I’m just dehydrated. So it’s like me working to get in here and walk down the hallway was tough for me. But the pain has gotten so much better, honestly. I’m able to walk a lot better and stuff with the crutches. And that helped. But it was more just me physically fatigued trying to get down this hallway.

Q: On when the reality of the injury set in for him:
    Randle: Like I said, I’ve cried a couple times about it. I cry for 10 minutes and then I’m good. I don’t know if I can say it hasn’t set in yet or what, but mentally, I’m telling you, I’m good.

Q: On how he feels he progressed in training camp and the preseason:
    Randle: I definitely progressed through the preseason and training camp. (I was) just looking forward to doing the same thing during the season. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen. But the biggest thing now is I can become a student, look at guys who’ve done it before me who’ve been very successful at it. I can look for certain things as well. Maybe, me playing, I can’t watch as much of the NBA games and stuff and study guys as much as I’d like to. But now I have all the time. I can look at guys, look at things that I need to work on, see how guys are doing and apply it to myself.”
    "

http://www.nba.com/lakers/141104_juliusrandle?cid=FB

trodgers and lakerjones like this.
  2. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

awesome to hear that Worthy called him that night to reassure him.

FreeThePeople and therealdeal like this.
  3. timothy

timothy - Rookie -

"But now I become an extreme student of the game"

Love that quote. Man i miss Randle, but this interview definitely makes me feel a lot better about where he is headed.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Keep studying youngblood, it's what separates the good from the great.

5. Kobe2413

Kobe2413 - Rookie -

I miss Randle already.

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Here's the Full Video

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Great read and glad he has such a good attitude and outlook. This is one of those things - it could be extra motivation or it could be something that drags you down. Luckily he has a good spirit about him and he has good support from teammates and the Lakers and his family and friends. Heal up grasshopper! We need you next year.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    How can you not like this kid?

therealdeal and XXIV like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

arrgghh...still upset about this. and he's right about how much progress he made from summer league to the end of preseason. huge strides, imo. I was really looking forward to seeing his growth this year. I am hopeful that this is just a bump in the road, because he showed flashes of stardom.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    "It's a process," said Kobe - I mean Julius.

Get well, big man.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Happened to BIFF his first year too and he's done well obviously.

12. 7

7 - Rookie -

Man... he sounds so mature for a 19 year old. I know I definitely did not talk like that when I was 19. It definitely sucks what happened, but I am glad to see him having a positive mindset through all of this. Can't wait to see him back on the court next year!

alam1108 likes this.
  13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I want to hear from the training staff if they plan on addressing the screw in his foot.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I caught that too. :D

Hopefully we're in for another 15 years of things being a "process".

trodgers likes this.
  15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm still so damn down about this, it still seems unreal that it happened to the kid game 1. Good to read how he's doing though, sounds like he's in a really good frame of mind and has a lot of support from the franchise.

16. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
  17. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Worthy and Randle. I feel we have another superstar on our hands. Hold onto randle.

18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    You think he is the dominant inside presence to take advantage of on a rookie contract?

19. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Not sure your question. Do I think Randle is going to be awesome? Yes. Are there similarities in his abilities and ceiling to big game? Yes. Odd that he breaks his leg in rookie year just like James. Dominant inside presence? Not sure that is going to be his game. Someone who can get his own shot, go coast to coast, ignite the team, and play all around ball? Yes.

20. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    To me, that doesnt sound like youre describing a great PF and more like a SF. I never got to watch Worthy play, but he was a dominant inside presence was he not? If he cant develop a great post game than he needs to be a GREAT stretch 4 IMO and would absolutely have to play next to a dominant big man.