Rajon Rondo Discussion: He's A Cleveland Cavalier

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

YOU’RE getting on someone for being negative? That’s rich.

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yep but i wasnt signing off on the team from a lack of moves...i even noted i would still give magic a pass if no one signed this yr

3. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Lakers got Lebron James. Best player in the league. Once they did that, all the crap before went away. Now, it's time to compete for playoff wins. And all the guys they are getting serve a purpose for deep playoff runs and contract advantages.

4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

:This:

5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

@JeffDuncan_
    My lasting impression of Rondo came in locker room scrum after Anthony Davis had 53 vs. Suns:

Me: You’ve played with & against a lot of great players in your career. Can you put into perspective what A.D. is doing right now?

Rondo: Whatcha want me to do? Suck him off?

Me: Uh.

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Rondo is one of the smartest players in the league, he's basically coach material.

He is a perfect mentor for Lonzo.

He brings playoffs experience to the team.

His contract is for one year.

His middle name is Pierre.

7. Manve77

Manve77 - Rookie -

Serious business
    A 32-year old C-bag a****** PG who can't shoot. Nice(((
    We have a bunch of them now. And we have no 3pt threat to compete with rockets and warriors.

8. karacha

We're not going to compete with the Warriors anyway. We'll beat the Rockets if it comes to that. I said it.

9. Manve77

Manve77 - Rookie -

Serious business
    So we gonna have 2 head coaches- Lebron and Rondo?))) Sarcasm)

10. karacha

Three. Luke is still the head coach. Bron is more of a GM, he does not coach that much. So, 2 1/2 really.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Besides being a jerk on the court, what are Rondo’s character issues? The only real issue was with Carlisle in Dallas. He was huge for the Pels last year and if he didn’t get hurt in the Boston series the year before, he likely leads the Bulls over the top seed. He’s ultra competitive and is incredibly smart on the court.

Lance - He has been, is, and always will be a knucklehead. However, what real character issues has he had besides that failed experience in Charlotte? He seems to be well-liked by guys on his team. He does stupid things every now and then, but he’s a case of a guy you hate to play against, but like on your team.

Javale - he’s a dummy, but he fills a huge need for 10-15 mpg. Again, what are his character issues? After it looked like his career was done, he filled his role perfectly in GS and looks to have the same role here.

The point is, I keep seeing character brought up. Some of these guys are total jerks on the court, but they don’t get into trouble off the court. Rondo primarily clashes with people who aren’t driven and competitive. Don’t think that’s a problem on this team. These character issues are being totally overblown.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Rajon is a jerk, no doubt about that, but he always seems to have a group of teammates that go to bat for him. He also was stellar in the playoffs just a few months ago.

10.3 points 7.6 rebounds 12.2 assists 1.4 steals 0.2 blocks 3.7 turnovers in 33.6 minutes

He shot just 41.3% from the field, but 42.1% from deep (8/19). Still not a good FT shooter though, just 64.3%.

And by the way since Rondo's trade to Dallas he's a 35.7% three point shooter which isn't restrictively bad. Still fairly low volume (just a hair over 2 attempts per game), but competent nonetheless.

I'm not crazy about the amount of money we gave him or the way he de facto was traded for Randle, but he's not an awful pickup either. We wanted him last year for a reason and his numbers in New Orleans mostly improved from his numbers in Chicago.

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I'd like him even more off the bench.

Again, though, it's only 1-year. We could have up to 37 million in cap space next year; I'll deal with him for a year and hope he imparts Zo with some wisdom.

I get the "fit" doesn't make sense, but I'll trust Luke to figure that part out.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The fit isn't perfect, but if you hand him the keys, your offense is at least going to run. He's one of the smartest players in the league.

The real challenge will be getting him, Stephenson, LeBron, and all the kids on the same page. I don't know for sure, but Rondo has had trouble with coaches in the past. I think like Kobe, if he doesn't respect you Rondo has no problems being an ***hole about it. Luke is going to have his work cut out for him this season.

Interestingly Rondo's USG% is fairly low. He's a lot like Lonzo in that respect. Get the ball, move the ball to the right spot at the right time. Even in the playoffs when he was handing out assists like candy, his USG% was just 18.6%. I don't think he's as bad a fit as people think. The only thing that might be "bad" about it... is that he might outplay Lonzo and keep Lonzo off the court at times.

15. karacha

Look, there are two "layers" of reasoning when it comes to these signings. One is obvious: they are very competent players with playoff experience on a 1-year contract. The other one, that people might overlook - they are here as mentors for our young guys (Rondo/Zo, Stephenson/Hart, Bron/Kuz+other wings) to teach them how to be gritty and competitive. All of them fit this mold. When it comes to being the ultimate competitor, being a quiet, nice guy is not going to cut it. That doesn't mean you have to be a thug - but you need to be a tough guy, sometimes even a-hole when it counts. Toughness yes, character issues - no.

Look at Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Worthy, Fox, Artest, Byron, Fish and many other successful Lakers... you would not necessarily describe them as a "bunch of nice guys". Why did we start winning eventually with Odom+Pau? Well, aside from their talent, they learned how to slap KG on the butt, and when he turns around and says - "why you slap my @ss bro"? - they reply "I do whatever the f- I wanna do."

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Right on the money Karacha!

17. SeasonVet24

SeasonVet24 - Rookie -

This is so true in everyway. I'm so tired of us getting push around and intimidated on the court these past couple years. It's our turn now. We'll be one of the most physical team this coming year. This will be a blue print to beat the Warriors. You can say that Houston should have beat them if CP3 didn't get injured. The Rockets was the more physical team that whole series.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What's taking so long?

"LeBron James didn't come to the Lakers for no Rajon Rondo. He came to play with Lonzo"

[​IMG]

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  20. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

“You know, I used to hate Parkman when he was with the A’s. It’s amazing how a new uniform can change your attitude about a guy... he’s still a d***.”

OX1947 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.