PS4 Or XBOX One?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lakerman JSJ, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Which gaming system should I buy?

1. PS4

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. XBOX One

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

I haven't played a home video gaming system in about 6 years. I'm 33 and a child of the 90's so a large part of being a kid was playing Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega, XBOX, XBOX 360, etc.

However, as I got into my mid 20's I started getting burnt out on gaming. Was spending more time doing other things we do in that age bracket (working late, drinking in public, etc.) and stopped playing altogether.

I've started to get the "itch" back. I want to get back into Madden and possibly 2K & others. Going to purchase a PS4 or XBOX One, so those of you who own either or both of these systems, can you vote and provide any feedback as to the pro's & con's of these so I can make an informed decision? If it helps, I'll primarily be playing sports games with plenty of online gaming.

Much appreciated, Fam!

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

PS4 pro hands down the best system this generation. The only reason to get an Xbox is if you're a die hard Halo/Gears/Forza fan and have friends to play with there. PS4 has some of the best exclusive games and gets a lot of DLC content first or sometimes even only.

If you're playing mostly sports games then it doesn't matter tbh but why not get the system that has a bunch of other great games too.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

PS4 is the best.

Although I'm more of an amateur gamer so I don't know much.

But PS4 is definitely the best.

Lakerman JSJ and John3:16 like this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Have you considered the Atari 2600 ?

Well, that's my vote. My son says PS4.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It's a tough decision, especially now that there is a PS4 slim and Pro, and an Xbox One S (slightly more powerful than the original One, plays 4K blurays, some games support HDR gaming) and the One X is coming out in not too long and it's very powerful. You saying sports games and playing online could be either system, they share the same games and online is good for either now. Though Live gold costs money and PSN is free.

I guess the decider should be the exclusives you want to play, or if you have a 4K tv and want to play 4K blurays or stream 4K Netflix, etc. I grew up a Playstation fan, (hell I have a little PS logo tattoo), but I spent many years as a Halo and racing game fan too, so it was a tough choice for me. I had a PS4 first, but the exclusives for me didn't live up to what I had expected/wanted in a game console. Knack was ok, Uncharted 4 disappointed me a bit, got bored of Ratchet and Clank after not long, wasn't a fan of most others. I love racing games and PS4 to me is lacking in that area. Where PS3 had the Mororstorm series and tons of other great racers, most on PS4 were meh.

I found my PS4 sitting there collecting dust most of the time, while I still played games almost entirely on my PS3. I ended up returning the PS4 (got it at Costco), just wasn't for me, the only games I still was looking for were Everybody's Golf and Knack 2, maybe PS5 will be different.

I still wanted a next-gen gaming machine to play NBA 2K, racing games, the next SW Battlefront and some others though (with a bluray player as a bonus to help keep from wearing out my aging PS3), so I went with Xbox One S. I got the Xbox One S for $279 on Amazon bundled with the Halo 1-4 collection and Halo 5. I haven't regretted it, the Forza Horizon games are fantastic (as is Forza 6), the controller is imo the best out there, and it has some other small games I'm happy about like Peggle and Rare Replay, as well as being backwards compatible with a lot of 360 games. I'm also happy with its 4K bonus features, because I do plan on getting a 4K tv at some point. PS4 pro also supports some form of 4K gaming and HDR as well though.

In the end, again, it's all about personal preference in regard to games. Sports games are the same on both, so you should look at what exclusives for each seem appealing, and what other console features seem interesting. PS4 has VR gaming for example if that appeals to you at all. One X may have that too I guess at some point, but I'm not interested and it's too expensive for me as well. Again, comes down to exclusives.

PS4 is stuff like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, God of War, and a good amount of action, RPG games, and a lot of cool indie games on PSN. Xbox One is Halo, Gears of War, Forza Horizon/Forza Motorsport, Sunset Overdrive, a good amount of action, RPG games, and a lot of cool indie games on Xbox Live. ;) MOST of the games are the same on both consoles, so you'd probably be happy with either, depending on which controller you prefer to use, what most of your friends have if you want to play them online, and again, which exclusives you like. I don't play a ton of games either, used to play a lot more, so since this gen has lesser overall quality I had to be picky. PS4 didn't have enough quality racers for me, it had too many HD remakes of games I already owned, and I missed Halo, so I went with the Xbox and I'm happy. The opposite may be true for you. Good luck.

TIME and Lakerman JSJ like this.
  6. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Lots of good info, Weez! Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

7. alam1108

*To play online on the PS4 you need PS plus and it cost money too. Something like $50 for 12 months.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  8. Weezy

I did not know this as I never play games online. Good info, that sort of evens the playing field, PS Plus and Live Gold are pretty much the same then. You get free games to play and or discounted games to buy with both I believe.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  9. therealdeal

Keep in mind too that there's new systems due out relatively soon. Scorpio is due out next year from XBox which is supposed to rock the gaming world. I know Playstation is also working on an updated version to be compatible with 4K streaming.

I'd say go with the games you're most interested in and the system with the best sale on.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  10. Weezy

I wouldn't even let this stand in my way anymore if I want a console right now. Consoles are going the way of phones apparently, upgrades every few years or less. If you wait on the next best one you'll always be waiting. I almost didn't get a PS4 because of the pro for example, and then the Pro info was released and it was kinda weak honestly, so I was glad I didn't wait.

If you have a nice 4K tv with the right HDR and graphics are super important to you, or VR is, then yes, waiting for One X or PS4 Pro+ or something might make sense. Otherwise the One S is going to play all the same games and there are great deals out there $250 to $350 vs $500 for the One X), or you can get a PS4 slim with a game for under $300 or Pro for $400. My 3 year old Samsung LED TV would see almost no benefit from upgrading to the One X or Pro for example, except frame rates and slightly bumped up graphical touches. Plus, if you do get a console now, you can play and enjoy it now, and always sell it and upgrade later. Xbox One games will work on One X, and rumor is PS4 games will work on PS5, whenever that comes out.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  11. therealdeal

I'm not waiting, I just said something to keep in mind. The vast majority of us aren't enjoying 4K right now, but it is coming in the future. Just something to think about when factoring in cost.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  12. alam1108

I agree with the 4K thing, if you don't have a 4K TV it isn't exactly worth it. But the OneX and PS4 Pro+ systems also have a better CPU which will make games look better and run better too. It's something I've thought about when considering upgrading from the OG ps4.

Lakerman JSJ and Weezy like this.
  13. Weezy

No I know, I was just pointing out the specifics of those systems, their benefits. For what he asked about, Madden/sports games, online gaming, didn't sound like he's looking for the top of the line closest to PC console. So in the case of the One X and Pro, more expensive and newer doesn't necessarily mean "better" except in a few categories that might not even apply to most of us. I love the One S, zero desire to upgrade to the One X, BUT, by the time the successor to the One X is coming out, I'm sure I'll be ready. Similar to how I still have an iPhone 6 Plus, and never got an S or 7, but am waiting on the 8. Consoles do seem to be going that Phone/upgraded PC model. I don't love it, but I guess if it means backwards compatibility each time you upgrade, I can adjust. It is nice to have one box that plays years and years worth of games.

Lakerman JSJ and Savory Griddles like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yep. I think it's going to resemble the phone model where there are several small upgrades as opposed to the giant upgrade after 5-7 years. It could have its benefits though if they start doing more cross platform gaming. If you want the best performance, you get the best system, just like PCs.

I got a One S as much for the 4k blu ray capability as the gaming upgrade. A good 4K blu ray player costs almost the same amount as the One S. When the deal on Prime day popped up, I jumped on it.

15. Savory Griddles

As for the Xbox vs PS debate, I get the Xbox because I like Halo and Gears of War. I also like the controller for the Xbox more. It just feels better. Other than that, they're both fine. I'm not going to go to war with anyone over which is superior. We want both to succeed as they will constantly push each other.

16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Go with the Xbox imo if your considering the better console. But you should also consider the exclusives (games) for each console. Which ever ones offer the games that you like the best go with that one. I used to only be a Sony kid growing up and then made the switch to Xbox 360 when it came out and I haven't looked back since. I trust their service and platform way more than Sony's. I also like the user interface of the Xbox and lot better than PS

17. Savory Griddles

I did forget to mention that. The Xbox's dashboard/interface is way better than PSs. If you use Windows on your computer, you'll feel right at home.

18. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's the selling point of Xbox for me. I think PS has the Rep of being just a little better in every way except the UI and possibly preference of games.

I personally can't stand the PS dash board

19. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    4k isn't just coming soon. It's essentially already here. You can't even buy a new TV that ISN'T 4k anymore. Pretty much every new game or Netflix program have 4k and/or HDR playback. If you don't have a 4k TV, most new games on the PS4 Pro for example have a Performance mode where you can stay at 1080p while locking in at 60 fps. The jump from 30 to 60 fps is definitely going to be noticeable even on an older TV.

So I think we're at the point of the console/TV life cycles that it doesn't make much sense to invest in the older non-4k consoles just to save a $100 now. Maybe you have no plans of getting a 4k TV in the next several years and end up only occasionally playing Madden in which case the PS4 Slim/Xbox One S are sufficient. But maybe you do unexpectedly end up with a 4k TV next year and get drawn back into video games in which case I think you'd regret not being able to play a masterpiece like Red Dead Redemption 2 with the best graphics possible.

So personally, I would recommend "future-proofing" by getting the most powerful console. Wait a few months and get a Xbox One X.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  20. Weezy

There is no more future proofing anymore though. In 2 years Xbox One X2 and PS5 will be out, and One X and Pro will be outdated. At some point you need to figure out if you care about having the absolute best graphics every time, or if the gameplay is king and good graphics are a plus. For me, Xbox One S games look fantastic on my 1080p LED tv, and paying $279 for it with 2 free games is way better than paying $500. 4K Blu-Rays are still barely coming out in small numbers, who knows what will come along and replace that. What if 4K is replaced by 8K in 2 more years? There is no true future proofing anymore, so IMO figure out if having 4K matters that much, or if cost/gameplay or having fun now instead of always waiting for the best system to come out is a factor. I only bring up this counter point because I went through that whole cycle with PS2 and XBOX, and ultimately the underpowered PS2 won because it had the better games for me, and looking back I don't remember what tv I played it on, only the fun I had playing it.

therealdeal likes this.