Props On The Workings Of The New Lakersball.com !!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Oct 7, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I'm dropping this into Lakers Discussion because that's the most important thing here. Which from my limited full exploration of capabilities already am impressed with the site for being a great place to enjoy it! Wow Barns..... nice job! Thank you. Am sure I will come back with more but for now ...... (where are 3 of my yellow guys saying, "Yeah! with V signs in the air" )

1. Speed .......What an upgrade! Hopefully when Lakersball has thousands more members the speed will not be affected. But wow it's instantaneous.

2. The Looks ...... Without even paying attention and trying to analyze it yet, first doing some posting, I all of a sudden realize it looks GOOD. Comfortable already. Nice aesthetics!

3. The Alert drop down in upper right is nice. I did a double take at first with one of the alerts saying (a member's name) had replied to one of the threads. And then Siri like said, "there may be more posts after this" I like it.

4. Speed

5. Speed ...... (Where's my real laughing guy!!)

6. Just found another. Thank gawd for being able to highlight a word or group of words and be able to drop multiple characteristic changes on it all at once. Rather than having at CL to go back every freaking time to highlight again ..... one at a time for each. Beautiful!

Others feel free to chime in with what you like. A lot of us will probably early on be reading about features we're unaware of yet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Real-time chat during games (even on a mobile phone) is a huge plus. I will no longer feel alone watching Laker games.

3. The Original 81

The Original 81 - Rookie -

The real time chat feature is AWESOME. Great job with the site guys.

Tragic, thkthebest and TIME like this.
  4. Kasumi

Kasumi Lakers Girl Staff Member

Coffee
    Real-time chat, speed and mobile-friendly.

But most of all, a site owner that is active, involved and responds quickly - thanks Barns!

thkthebest, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    This x 1,000,000!

6. EasyGuy

EasyGuy - Rookie -

When the regular season comes on and we have more members, the real test is too see if this site will be as fast and how fast the real time chat will fly by.

thkthebest likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

I still don't get how you guys watch the game and find time to type without missing anything visually. Usually at CL if I felt compelled it was because of some astonishing play or came on there in a time out, quarter, halftime, whatever. Do you guys type sight unseen on your phones, or are you on full size keyboards?

thkthebest likes this.
  8. Kasumi

Kasumi Lakers Girl Staff Member

Coffee
    I was on an iPad.... just type quickly

thkthebest likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Kasumi, LOL with the heart breaking icon for Pau. Yeah me too, he was all class and really something for us during his best years and always with his skill level.

MusixFinest and thkthebest like this.
  10. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Since 'antoni was run outta town, along with his 7 seconds-or-less offense, there should be enough time to type something on a phone or iPad without missing a whole lot of action. And if I do, I can always play it back on my DVR.

Kasumi and thkthebest like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

But I just noticed the posts how they are chronologically tagged. Just days of the week and time, with no date? Why is that? Or after it gets to be a week does a date kick in? Even that seems a bit odd. Usually you see "today" or a day and date if not "today" along with the time.

12. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Hmmm...good eye. Not sure. Barns should know.

13. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Glad you guys are enjoying the site.

Of course I don't know for sure, till it's tested, but when I chose my server service, I opted for a bit higher speeds, data space, than what could have worked for the site, so right now we're just seeing the results of that choice.

But more over, stability and speed was one of my primary focuses when figuring out how to develop the site. To that end, not only is thkthebest a member of the staff, I will be periodically commissioning him to work on server optimization and stability, probably before the season starts. He does this for a living and has been an invaluable resource for helping me with the technical side already.

I do all this because this community is really important to me. I've spent 8 years of my life on CL. Grown to know a lot if you and I see the value in making sure this community continues. Its an investment in something love.

Also, know this is just the beginning. The Staff and I are discussing all the ways we can expand and provide more. This site can be bigger than CL. It can be bigger than TLN. We have people here that will drive to make that happen.

Daniel Beltz, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

th
    The program allows me to decide how the time stamp is shown to some degree. The settings I chose took up less space because I thought it would be important to not clutter up the chat with a ton of time stamp info.

15. LTLakerFan

I'd vote for the time stamp with date, doesn't have to be big but is going to be important as threads grow. Can't have nothing but Monday, Tuesday, Wed ..... and that's it??

On another note, DUH, I need to go read the opening "Welcome to Lakersball.com" thread to more educate myself here. Just started and right off the bat I discover how to change the color scheme from 4 choices. Very cool. They ALL have appeal, but wow the road purple is pretty and easy on the eyes first impressions.

16. LTLakerFan

How do you get to the comprehensive list of all the members? All I seem to be able to find are select rankings of them in certain areas once you're in there, like one page. Am sure I'm missing something.

17. LTLakerFan

How do you turn off the notifications and thread postings that come to your personal email box ..... on a GLOBAL setting? I seem to see the bottom of each thread has defaults "ON" for those. My inbox is insane enough without all of Lakers discussion there too. Got to stop that right away.

18. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

An "all" members list is disabled by default. We can enable it, but on larger boards (thousands of members), it's just a hit in resources, a target by spam bots, and..just kind of useless.

19. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Go to your preferences (hover over your username in the top right corner to see "preferences") and disable the email notifications there.

20. grassjelly

grassjelly - Rookie -

I think the real test will be when the Lakers land their next major free agent and/or trade.
    CL went down like clockwork whenever major news occurred.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.