Presidential Election Aftermath: What Now / What Next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by davriver209, Aug 11, 2015.

1. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I like the Young Turks, but they lean left. I'm trying to find non-biased / non-opinion news sources. Agree with you on BBC. I'll look more into PBS.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

They absolutely lean left, but they own up to it. They don't try to pretend they're center, so I respect that.

John3:16 likes this.
  3. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

This bothers me. I always viewed Fox as the far right. MSNBC as the far left. That's who they are and serve a demographic. And I (wrongly) viewed CNN as the middle ground / mature / reliable source. And then they started passing questions prior to debates, "journalist" started crying when elections didn't go there way, and they became the poster child for #FakeNews. Sad.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I hear ya. And I do like them.

5. Barnstable

I started feeling that way about CNN a few years ago.

I don't mind them being left leaning, but I very much mind them pushing fake narratives, and promoting DNC rhetoric while portraying themselves as being unbiased.

therealdeal and John3:16 like this.
  6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    What do you think about the White House Press Pool ? Trump has said they're gonna change things up. In this day of FB and Twitter, the president doesn't need the media. Well, I cringe when he sends Tweets, but you understand my point. The WH pool have assigned seats based on seniority and Trump has said they may switch that up as well as a few other things to be shared next week.

The CNN reporter arguing with Trump wouldn't be allowed back in for 6 months if I were president. CNN can still attend, but it wouldn't be him.

7. Barnstable

It's a terrible idea. I don't trust the major news agencies, but every once in a while, a reporter asks the president a question they haven't and wouldn't address directly if they weren't asked. We're not going to get that with Trump IMO. He's going to stack the press pool with supporters. He won't be held accountable for his s*** in those press meetings.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Mainstream: CNN, NPR
    Alternative: Medium, TYT, Vice News

CNN: If I want to watch news on TV. I use them also on my app to get push notification on any breaking news.
    NPR: I listen to them during my commute to work, if i'm not listening to music.
    Medium: Not really news perse, it's more of a collection of short essays, opinion pieces, and musings from random people across all topics.
    TYT: My go to for progressive opinions on recent news headlines. I watch the main show, along with a few of their other channels religiously.
    Vice is starting to go mainstream (not inherently a bad thing), but still has a lot of quality reporting, especially with regard to international news.

9. Barnstable

Oh yeah, forgot about them. Everything I've seen from them has been really good.

I've also heard good things about RT (Russia Today). I hear that you can't trust anything they say directly related to Russia, but everything else on there concerning world new is supposed to be really good journalism.

10. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Dems wonder why they were on the outs .... Nancy Pelosi case in point, still blaming Dubya, this time for $9 trillion of the Obama administration's deficit! Get over it lady, try to fix things instead of whining the Donkey way!

:Shaqsurprised2:

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Good call on Vice News Azn.

I like them too. They have a show on HBO that is really timely, despite being an indepth show that I'm sure takes a lot of time to produce.

12. Barnstable

Well that's surprising. Kudos to Shepard Smith

13. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Yea I get that people don't like CNN, but replace CNN with your favorite news organization, whether it's cable, broadcast, online, radio, or print. Would you want the POTUS belittling them for just asking questions? It's easy to hate on CNN, but don't think Trump won't go after you thereafter.

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

He didn't take their question and went to someone else. That's not being rude. CNN should've waited their turn. And it was very rude to argue with the President Elect and I'd say that if someone did it to President Obama too. Not in a million years would CNN have talked like that to Obama.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Like most of politics I thought both sides handled it poorly. CNN's man was a hack, no question. He was rude and he handled his job poorly. I can understand why you'd ask him to not return (but of course allow CNN to continue sending representatives). I mean shouting down the person on the podium? Really? That's absolutely unprofessional and stems from a clear lack of respect for Trump and his position. That's no way to behave to another person, let alone the President Elect.

However, Trump was also disappointingly (albeit not surprisingly) petty about it. Just like every debate, Trump had the opportunity to take the high road while still making his point and still missed it.

16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The latest on the new press briefings format.

The incoming Trump administration is considering moving White House press briefings out of the West Wing to accommodate more than the “Washington media elite,” President-elect Donald Trump’s press secretary said.

“This is about greater accessibility, more people in the process,” Sean Spicer said Sunday on Fox News Channel’s “Media Buzz.” Involving more people, including bloggers and others who aren’t from the mainstream media, “should be seen as a welcome change,” he said.

17. Barnstable

[​IMG]

18. Barnstable

Back to the previous discussion about where we get our news, this is why I love The Young Turks. They don't auto endorse a party, or side. They adhere to Progressive Liberal values and will call out anyone that goes against those values, including Obama, Bernie, or anyone else.

Posting this here for an example of what I mean, but also posting this in the Obama thread for discussion:

19. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    [​IMG]

Just a little humor. Not passing judgement on transgender or questioning populations.

Inauguration is less than 24 hours away.

If you're for Trump, Congratulations.

If you're against Trump, Congratulations.

Either way, it's the peaceful transfer of power and one of the foundations of this great country. As often as I cringe when Trump tweets something and I'm against his pick of DeVos as Education Secretary, I'm still excited to see what comes of the next 4 / 8 years.

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Are we talking about the Lakers, or the country as a whole?