President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by TIME, Jan 20, 2017.

1. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The kneeling is a peaceful protest. But it's not at halftime. It's not after the game. It's not on the first play of the game. It's during the National Anthem. People died for the Freedoms that the flag represents. Having served 24 years, I find it disrespectful, but I served for Freedom of Speech -- even if I disagree with that speech. It's for everyone. I would die for their right. Question: would anyone on the other side of this die for my right if they disagreed with it? I'm betting none of the NFL players would and a small percentage of those who agree with them.

Having said that, I actually applaud Kaepernick. His simple act has a lot of people talking. Hopefully action takes place instead of just lip service.

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

To be fair to Kaepernick, he paid his money forward. I still believe he feel backwards into this, but when the time came, he put his money where his mouth is.

I still think the NFL should have and could have squashed this a long time ago.

sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

First of all, I respect you @John3:16 and that's not even considering your service.

I dislike talking politics or anything unrelated to the Lakers, but its undeniable that politics have now infiltrated sports and its out of my respect for you bro that I'm even going to step into this conversation before I run on out of it. Also I really hope that I don't offend anyone with my comments.

Now I'm a lame when it comes to history, so can someone explain to me how "battle" within a "game" among Americans on baseball fields, on football fields and on basketball courts relates to battles our military is conducting in wars abroad? Whats the relation between playing the national anthem before contests where the the loss is a game in comparison to warfare where the loss is a life? National recognition, pride and allegiance during "games" like the Olympics, where competition is among different counties and conducted in foreign lands makes sense to me...but demonstrating patriotism before "games" stateside among your fellow US citizens is something I don't understand. There has to be better venues (ie state of the union, national parades, Memorial/Independence/Veterans Day where we should extend it to a Month, etc) and forms of appreciation (ie pen-pal, donations, fundraisers, volunteer service for disabled/injured servicemen, etc) that we can show towards our military than sports events...right?

Speaking of allegiance pertaining to the flag, here is what the original version of that pledge was suppose to read as:

Then it changed over time to "the flag of the United States of America" and "one nation under God". Now I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of religion, but if you look at the consistent portions of the pledge of allegiance, its that one nation remain "indivisible, with liberty and justice for all". I interpret the reason Kaep decided to protest during the national anthem is due to what the flag is used as: a symbol to the pledge of our allegiance.

The Star Spangled Banner became the national anthem and was used by the military while the American flag was raised. However sports were played without the "Flag Code" and the national anthem till 1942 when the US was actively participating in World War 2. It became indoctrinated into sports because at the time, we were at war. Here are the lyrics to the national anthem:

Again, the majority of those lyrics imply war and how our flag remained through the "perilous fight"...I understand that you can injure yourself during sports, but can we really consider it a "perilous fight"? Yet you can't overlook the "land of the free", so again, I see why Kaep chose the national anthem and "pledging" to the flag as the opportunity to demonstrate peaceful protest towards injustices toward his fellow "free" men. How can you have "justice for all" when unarmed minorities are literally dying at the hands of fellow US civilians who chose to "service" the community and not be at "war" killing them?

I sincerely have no idea how sports (involving fellow US civilians competing in a friendly competition on domestic territory) has any correlation to war (perilously fighting non-country men on foreign soil) and why its necessary to show your patriotism during those "games". I'm not trying to be confrontational and condescending...I just hope someone can enlighten me as to why a pledge for our flag/military needs to be acknowledged before a sporting event? Whats the correlation other than "battle" and if it is that, then how is that type of "battle" even comparable to the battles of war...how can loses in "games" be compared to loses in war?

Essentially, if there was no national anthem and pledging to the flag before games, then Kaep would not be in a position to demonstrate and "disrespect" the flag. He would have to find another way in demonstrating his protest.

Our nation was founded on protest and a separation of county to another land. Minorities protested what was law till they forced a reevaluation of civil rights and amendments were made to the laws accordingly. There is something disturbingly wrong in fellow Americans senselessly killing other fellow Americans. We're all fully aware there are bad apples in every camp, but clearly there is a problem (see graphs below) and I applaud Kaep for attempting to shed light on this and seeking some sort of restitution and restoration to civility while our president seems to want to encourage the chasm.

These graphs were included in an article written by Todd Beer:
    (Note that Kaep started protesting Aug. 14th 2016)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    On a lighter note....

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

7. LTLakerFan

Yeah my Yahoo front page and wording of its headlines is definitely all that. But doubt this is that because of the scope reported.

8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

How did Trump get played by N Korea? He got them talking with S Korea for the first time in 70 years. He got them to disarm nuke program. They returned hundreds of American bodies to the families of Korean war. If Obama did this he would have earned that Nobel Peace Prize. But Trump got played. I don't get it.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Good points and I went off half cocked when I see reports (my bad admitted) that I don't verify, or how could I, that satellite intel or simple misinformation on line indicates that they are still a go with their nuclear operations on the ground or more likely under it.

So of course I don't know. I hope you're right.

John3:16 likes this.
  10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    WASHINGTON, Sept 13 (Reuters) - The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, hitting its lowest level in nearly 49 years and pointing to robust labor market conditions.

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The rate of GDP growth was decelerating in Obama's last year. It went from 2.3% in Q2, to 1.9% in Q3 to 1.8% in Q4 of 2016. Under Trump, GDP growth has averaged 2.9%. It was 4.2% last quarter and might be higher in the current one. The stock market also was stuck in neutral the year before the November 2016 elections. The Dow is up by some 45% since then. Real median family income didn't budge from August 2015 to November 2016, according to Sentier Research. It's up more than 4% since Trump came into office. Wages are on the upswing. In Obama's last year, unemployment rate remained basically unchanged — it was 4.9% in Jan 2016, and 4.8% when Trump took office in Jan. 2017. Now it's down to 3.9% We could go on. Meanwhile, the same reporters now patting Obama on the back for today's strong economy were reporting in late 2016 about how — as The New York Times put it — "the underlying reality of low growth will haunt whoever wins the White House."

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Presiden Trump encouraged people who “know nothing about nothing” to get out and vote while speaking at a campaign-style rally on Monday in Las Vegas.

“Voting does not require any kind of special expertise,” Trump told the crowd. “You know, you don’t need to be have some fancy degree to be qualified to vote. You don’t have to read every news article to be qualified to vote.”

Just kidding. It was actually Michelle Obama who said this.

LTLakerFan, sirronstuff and revgen like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
  14. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

What do you guys think about what's going on with Kavanaugh's confirmation?

15. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

What makes you sure Kaep is masterminding his own actions?

16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Dems doing everything they can to delay vote so they can get someone else in if they gain control of Senate in Nov. Delay. Delay. Delay.

I'll admit I was wrong. I thought they would play the race card. They went with the other card in their playbook.

Wanna hear a funny joke? The FBI investigation will be limited to 1 week.

Delay. Delay. Delay.

I wanna thank Harry Reid and the Dems for changing the rules from 60 votes to 51. What comes around goes around.

"Elections have consequences and we won."
    -- Obama

Yes Obama, they do. Remind your friends in the Senate of this. Wanna appoint judges? You have to win the elections. Or use smear campaigns and delay. Delay. Delay.

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Canada joined NAFTA 2. For the small media reporting it, Trump did great in this deal. America did great in this deal.

Invest in dairy ASAP.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  18. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

19. Kentucky Laker

Kentucky Laker - Rookie -

As a Democrat, I am concerned going into these midterms. The party was poised to have a big election, but I'm afraid this whole Kavanaugh ordeal will backfire. As much as I think properly vetting a supreme court candidate is worthwhile and sexual assault allegations should be taken seriously, I feel like dragging out this process is off-putting to middle America and if anything, will mobilize the Trump base as well as shift a lot of independents/undecideds in favor of the GOP.

Of course, this is just my lowly opinion. We'll see I guess, going to be interesting to watch.

Barnstable likes this.
  20. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

The Kavanaugh drama made both parties look bad IMO. Grown men and women acting out like drama queens. If anything, independents/undecideds may look more at 3rd parties.

therealdeal likes this.