President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by TIME, Jan 20, 2017.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    california is always screwed... we are the most heavily taxed state in the us besides NY...

he's also making huge cuts in other departments, so the increase in the military budget dosent bother me too much

2. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

okay, but I'd still think with our lower corporate tax rate, that it would cause more businesses to invest here, expand, etc.. which in turn is good for our economy.... i dont understand peoples heartaches about the lower taxes

3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

You're assuming that income earned in the USA makes it's way back to the corporate headquarters in Canada. That's not always true. Corporations can keep their money held in US Banks in perpetuity. Just as they did with overseas profits before the US corporate tax was lowered.

LINK

2nd, you are not correct about Canada taxing profits from foreign countries.

LINK

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Take it for what you will

revgen likes this.
  5. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

take it with a grain of salt. CNN has made it its sole purpose to make Trump look bad. For which I dont blame them, they were bad mouthed by the man and to make it worse, he won the presidency kinda making them all eat it.

6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

You must be joking. MAKE him look bad?

The dude is a racist narcissistic moron.

Barnstable, alam1108 and scnottaken like this.
  7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Increased military budget? You mean the one that is greater than the next six countries budgets, COMBINED?

Who are we fighting? Freaking Mars or these "Sh**hole" countries?

Trump's tax break doesn't help anyone except for large corporations. Few may see a small "trickle" from the reduced income tax for those that are in the "middle class", but those in the lowest income brackets and even the highest income brackets will get screwed over.

If you think Trump's tax plan is supposed to stimulate the economy, you're in for a dose of reality. Not only will it only keep the money with the top 1% of Americans, it will further allow these companies to circumvent their contributions to the national debt. But hey, at least you're getting a "tax cut" on your income right? Wrong.

Barnstable likes this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t say they try to make him look bad, he does that on his own, what they do is only focus on it and maginify it, report almost nothing positive about him. I guess it’s in part to balance Fox News, the complete opposite who goes out of their way to make excuses for Trump and say he can do no wrong. It’s a shame there’s no real middle ground unbiased news station as an alternative to both of those. Well, I guess their might be some publications and papers that are, but they come across as anti Trump too, because the man sucks.

Barnstable and scnottaken like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Actually I'd say CNN was supposed to be that middle ground, but they turned their back on that during the election. FOX is more a reflection of MSNBC which is hilariously the opposite of FOX news, but gets much less of the shaming. I'm actually more disappointed in CNN because I'd been using them as my "neutral" news source up until the campaigns started. Now they're as much a joke as any other station.

I use AP and Reuters, but even they can't help but rag on Trump most of the time. Like you said, he's an immature, tactless, moron and he brings almost all of this on himself. The small amount of credit due to him for the economic upturn will never outweigh his social ineptitudes to the greater population. Even if everything he does on paper succeeds, the loud, socially conscious among us will still hate him. The sad part is so few people are willing to listen to Trump supporters in social media that they're just continuing to live life in the rift that was caused during the election cycle.

There are millions of completely rational people that voted for Trump and just want their values and their lives to be heard, but they're drowned out by the loud and stupid voices of people on both sides of the fence shouting idiotically at the other with no regard for humanity. As long as people are shunned for supporting Trump, those Trump supporters will exist and they'll keep voting in ways that the social media crowd cannot and will not understand. Growth comes from learning and talking to each other and it's something most people just won't do anymore.

/rant.

John3:16, Barnstable, Weezy and 3 others like this.
  10. ZenMaster

And this is my exact gripe. What are those values that Trump represents? Like, in reality, not via campaign slogans?

Am I missing something, or are there things Trump actually did or is doing that resonate with NORMAL people?

International politics? No.
    Domestic policies? No.
    Tolerance? No.
    Unity? No.
    Economy? Hell no, or, if you believe it, have I got a bridge deal for you...
    Equality? No.

What is it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    alam1108 and scnottaken like this.
  11. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Less taxes. Less regulations.

He used his executive order powers to make it easier for small businesses to provide group insurance. He and the GOP removed the individual mandate and restructured the tax code. Even the middle-class received a discount, albeit small.

Other than that, he's been awful. Individual liberties, property rights (Keystone XL), states rights (especially on cannabis), poor fiscal responsibility, and poor public relations are the hallmarks of his presidential term so far.

12. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I actually completely agree with your statement. Fox News is def guilty of doing the complete opposite of what CNN does. So you have to sides that take it to the extreme. Trump really does shoot himself in his foot a lot of times. He has moments where he could potentially shine and then comes back to earth with a really dumb remark.

13. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I can agree to some parts of your post. But this sentence, is this how you feel? Or the overall feeling of the citizens of this country?

I wasn't sure how to take this because while I can say that the man sure knows how to say some stupid stuff. It certanitly doesn't push me over the edge, or make me feel divided, less united etc....

14. therealdeal

I actually do think he has positively affected the economy and at this point it's not truly debatable. We're hitting new highs every week it seems like. That being said, he hasn't created jobs and this is obviously at least part of a bubble so it could be quite short lived, but he still deserves some outside credit for where we are today. if the bubble pops and we all go broke tomorrow, I'll give him the blame too.

As for why he was elected and the people who thought Trump was their voice: it's the same exact people that thought Obama was their voice. Trump ran on a campaign targeting the disenfranchised and unemployed talking about "hope" and bringing jobs back to America. The only difference is Obama won on class and Trump won off the angry population that wants to go back to work and felt betrayed by the previous regime that did little to bring jobs to America.

They were obviously fooled and, like Obama found out, creating middle class jobs is not as easy as it sounds. Those towns were built on manufacturing and manufacturing is a dying industry in America. The true growth should happen in education and growing alternative energy sources/innovation. But those places don't want those jobs. They want manufacturing jobs that simply won't exist. Sure we're making a little more stuff in America these days, but not the same as we used to and I doubt we'll ever reach those heights again.

In my opinion it starts with education. We need to reinvest in educating the children of this country, get them excited about learning again. Once we revitalize education and reform the broken college system, we can encourage growth in innovation and invention in science and engineering. Those are the fields of the future for America and right now they're woefully underappreciated.

You see not every Trump supporter is a white racist. There's millions that just want to work and they were lead to believe that Trump would help, not altruistically but because they figured he'd try to help businesses (yes including his own). They thought Trump would lower taxes and let Americans have more of their money. They didn't vote for him because they hated minorities or loved how obviously sexist Trump is. I haven't met many people who genuinely like Trump, but he was viewed as someone who could help and of course Hillary was herself quite a monster. Americans are not happy about Trump, but he may be the piece that finally catapults us back on track by giving the country a unified person to hate. And hopefully the few things he does right in his Presidency can stick around and the things he does wrong can be fixed.

/second rant.

lakerfan2 and revgen like this.
  15. ZenMaster

Well, I can’t argue with @revgen on small business, as I have little expertise in the area, but you, @therealdeal , are mostly talking about what people thought he would represent.

I didn’t ask why people voted for him. I asked why, today, after a year of his presidency, some continue to support him?

So, it seems, the answer is “parts of economy seem to be positively impacted”.

If that is the case it is very much like Puke getting credit for the improved defense. We can’t really calculate the amount of impact he may have had, but there is certainly correlation. The reason was probably our best defensive players in years in Zo, Lopez, KCP and Randle, but we are not sure, so Puke gets the credit by default, even though there is ample evidence of him having no idea about X and O’s.

Leadership, mother******s.

P.S.

See, and you probably didn’t think I could bring Puke into this discussion.

16. therealdeal

No I didn't and that's quite impressive.

I believe there's a factor of "us against the world" involved as well. People who support(ed) Trump see the attacks coming from all sides and they feel a sort of obligation to come to his defense and support him. I think that's a big part of it.

But my point has always been that until we have discussions like this one, Trump support won't die. Those that do support him simply go quiet so they don't get ridiculed or abused. They'll keep their opinions to themselves. That's why 90% of polls had Hillary winning when so many voted for Trump. We've got to be more accepting of ideas instead of writing people off so quickly for association.

Except for racists, sexists, etc. Those people can just shut the hell up and rot somewhere.

Barnstable, ZenMaster and revgen like this.
  17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Education is going nowhere while Devos is still SOE.

How the F she got their is beyond me. Maybe it’s the same reason Old Man Sessions is Attorney General. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree that picked them.

alam1108 and scnottaken like this.
  18. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/11/investing/trump-obama-bull-market-stocks/index.html

ZenMaster likes this.
  19. therealdeal

Eh. I understand what this is well enough. I believe wholeheartedly that Trump has had a positive effect on the economy for whatever reason. I'm not giving him full credit for the economy looking better, just saying something about him has people spending money. What's interesting is I'm willing to bet a house that reports of Obama being responsible for this uptick will turn into Trump being responsible for the bubble pop. It is what it is. If I were a big stock trader, I'd be cashing out.

20. therealdeal

I have no love for her, but she's a slasher. She's the person you bring into a struggling company who ruthlessly cuts benefits and fires people in order to balance the books. I don't think she knows anything about actually changing the system though and that's what I'm looking for. Teaching kids on a fundamental level the importance of education and trying to develop a new age of institutions that are built to grow kids positively instead of putting them 30k+ (100k+ for masters/doctorates/etc) in debt and leaving them with no job.

Barnstable likes this.