President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by TIME, Jan 20, 2017.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The problem is what Kaepernick set out to talk about is rarely talked about in this context now. He brought some attention to it, it's become a movement in another forum, but this new wave has almost nothing to do with Kaepernick now. Now it's just about freedom of speech and a pissing contest with Trump.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Popovich's thoughts on the sports protests and Trump with all this when asked during his press conference on Media day. Typical for him he dances around his answers trying to be politically correct.

:Shaqwink:

jbiggs and Barnstable like this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Trump has managed to slither his way into yet ANOTHER national conversation. It's as if the American media has never been on a message board before. If they had been, they'd know the #1 rule of message boards:

[​IMG]

Cause at this point, Trump is basically just a dude in the Youtube comments talking s*** on every conceivable type of video.

scnottaken and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Your president is a f***ing moron. There is simply no way to assess it differently.
    Any rationalizations for his behavior, actions and views should be ridiculed as equally moronic.

At some point you've gotta call a spade, a spade.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    He's a complete narcissist, and he represents himself, the office of President, and the country poorly.

I'm glad football gave him the collective FU on his protest stance.

The silent protests, which don't affect the game or sports experience in any way, have brought attention to an issue that needs to be addressed.

I fully support what is happening, and look forward to the day when no one feels the need to kneel during the anthem.

Sadly, the country is heading in an interesting direction with potential turbulent times ahead with a loose canon at the helm. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

scnottaken and jbiggs like this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Many narcissists enjoy spreading and arousing negative emotions to gain attention, feel powerful, and keep you insecure and off-balance. They are easily upset at any real or perceived slights or inattentiveness. They may throw a tantrum if you disagree with their views, or fail to meet their expectations. They are extremely sensitive to criticism, and typically respond with heated argument (fight) or cold detachment (flight). On the other hand, narcissists are often quick to judge, criticize, ridicule, and blame you. Some narcissists are emotionally abusive. By making you feel inferior, they boost their fragile ego, and feel better about themselves.

jbiggs and Punk-101 like this.
  7. sirronstuff

Is this a confession Brett?

:Crazyartest: :Laugh:

John3:16 likes this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

My name is John.

:Lonzoball Watching:

therealdeal and sirronstuff like this.
  9. sirronstuff

whatever you call yourself, I can find you and call you anytime

:Ingram Heart Hands:

Punk-101 and John3:16 like this.
  10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Trump is refusing to allow ships from other countries to come in and offer aid to Puerto Rico. He allowed them for Houston and Florida.

I have no words.

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The Hill.com

The Trump administration on Tuesday denied a request from several members of Congress to waive shipping restrictions to help get gasoline and other supplies to Puerto Rico as the island recovers from Hurricane Maria.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) declined the request to waive the Jones Act, which limits shipping between coasts to U.S.-flagged vessels, according to Reuters. DHS waived the act following hurricanes Harvey and Irma, which hit the mainland U.S.

The agency has in the past waived the rule to allow cheaper and more readily-available foreign vessels to supply goods to devastated areas. But DHS said Tuesday that waiving the act for Puerto Rico would not help the U.S. island territory due to damaged ports preventing ships from docking.

“The limitation is going to be port capacity to offload and transit, not vessel availability,” a spokesperson for Customs and Border Protection told Reuters.

In a letter to the department on Tuesday, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) urgedDHS to rethink the decision, citing the agency's willingness to waive the Jones Act for relief efforts in the wake of hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

“The Department of Homeland Security has been given the ability to waive the Jones Act to accommodate national security concerns, and has done so twice in the last month,” McCain wrote. “These emergency waivers have been valuable to speed up recovery efforts in the impacted regions. However, I am very concerned by the Department’s decision not to waive the Jones Act for current relief efforts in Puerto Rico, which is facing a worsening humanitarian crisis following Hurricane Maria."

McCain called the department's decision "unacceptable" and warned that Puerto Rico faces a humanitarian crisis as the island's 3.4 million people struggle to survive without power or clean water.

Officials estimate the island could be without power for up to six months.

"It is unacceptable to force the people of Puerto Rico to pay at least twice as much for food, clean drinking water, supplies and infrastructure due to Jones Act requirements as they work to recover from this disaster," McCain wrote.

"Now, more than ever, it is time to realize the devastating effect of this policy and implement a full repeal of this archaic and burdensome Act,” he wrote.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

^ The airports out of the area are also price gauging people trying to escape. It's a horrible situation.

13. Savory Griddles

I hope the Puerto Rico situation along with the Florida and Houston situations wake up some Californians. Make sure you have emergency supplies. You can go to Costco and buy like 18 gallons of water, 20+ cans of green beans, 20+ cans of chicken and even a few cans of chili to change things up for well under $100 bucks. There will eventually be an earthquake here, and judging by our government's responses to these disasters, we can't expect much help.

14. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Funny you say this.

I have a friend who's "sensitive" and has proven me a few times already, so I trust her. She recently told me there will be a pretty big quake within the year here in SoCal, specifically in the Silverlake area.

The day I told my parents this, that 3.6 quake hit in Westwood, then the Mexico quake the next day.

So take that how you will, I really hope she's wrong, but keep it in mind.

15. Savory Griddles

Well, silver lining to a quake in Silverlake...we can start to thin out the hipster population. ;)

lakerfan2 likes this.
  16. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Because I was tagged in the post I guess I'll add my 2 cents here too. First, I only read the last two pages 38 and 39 and say it has been some good talk so I'll add this point of view.

1. Kneeling for the flag is not disrespectful to the country, to the service members or the nation for a couple of reasons. First though I will say that I will always stand for the flag and national anthem because as a combat veteran the flag has a personal meaning to me because I have carried coffins, stood in formations seeing fallen brothers and sisters being loaded on C17s and have been in places where my very life was on the damn table to be taken. That is my choice. That is my patriotism. I fly a flag in my house. I have it tattooed on my shoulder. I fly it properly. I destroy it or turn it into base police when it is beyond appropriate display condition or I burn it properly. It is my choice as a veteran. I also know that many veterans don't respect the fly appropriately, display it correctly, fly it equal to or below contradictory flags (see confederate flags, nazi flags etc) and often don't even properly stand for it. OK, that being said here is why it isn't disrespecting the flag or the veterans. We fought for the right to protest. They are not stopping the game or disrupting the national anthem. Add to that the NFL players are under contract which stipulates everything they are not allowed to do and must do such as appropriate behavior off the field. What it does not say is that they "have to" stand for the anthem. In fact, not one document of our nation be it Constitution, Bill of Rights or anything else says that any American must pay respect to the men and women of the military or the veterans. That is simple. The fact that the NFL players are out there in the first place is because the NFL was paid for them to be out there for propaganda purposes. Yes, I love seeing the support but I understand it isn't mandatory outside of military personnel who did in fact sign contracts saying that we are required to by the contracts we sign and the oath we take. NFL players or any athletes have not signed that and are not subject to having to stand and bear witness to it. No matter how much we would hope they would. The other thing is the NFL is a privately owned business that provides a product and the players are part of that union. The union can strike if they deem it necessary. The NFL can punish players for doing things discussed in the players agreement but not for things that don't fall under it. The fact that standing for the national anthem is nothing more than a courtesy means it cannot be forced upon anyone.

That all being said, the most important reason for me is that it is their right. 100%. Just because it ruffles peoples feathers doesn't make it wrong. People say you can't do that on company time. I ask this question... Did the kneeling delay any of the NFL's proceedings? Did they stop the national anthem from being performed? I've heard many people say that "I pay for this guys to play a game and not do anything else" which I guess is true. However, did those guys not play the game? Did they say they wouldn't play or perform? I personally think my Raiders took the game off but I am sure it wasn't due to protesting instead due to just sucking on Sunday night. So if they did their jobs, they performed, they didn't delay the game and there were no outburst (by the players, coaches etc) then how was it disrespectful? See my personal belief does not trump their right to peaceful protest and a forced patriotism is not the excuse either ESPECIALLY when there are thousands of demonstrations that are actual disrespect to the flags, the nation and the troops who have served. I personally didn't see much outrage at the fans who were booing the players while the National Anthem was being sung.

In the end, this was exactly the best way to do it because I myself have had several in-depth conversations with many people of varying backgrounds about this. Yes, the President has once again riled up the nation to make it more divisive but without it I don't have the PM conversation with guys like John3:16 in the wake of it. The more we sit and talk the more we can start to understand and find solutions. First step has to be that there isn't a "better way" when all the other ways have yet to work. This one seems to have done much more than all the other attempts. Just my quick opinion though.

scnottaken, gcclaker, jbiggs and 7 others like this.
  17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  18. sirronstuff

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Is this a joke?

P.S.

Oh, that makes sense:

https://conservativetribune.com

f***ing idiots.

20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We spent a lot of money on you Puerto Rico, you better be grateful. Sure it’s human lives and you can’t put a price on human lives, but I still need to mention it because that’s the kind of pathetic human being I am.

Or maybe governments and rich people can put a price on human lives and suffering, I wouldn’t know. Trump is the most pathetic excuse for a president I’ve ever seen, and he makes me sick from a purely decent human being point of view.

scnottaken, LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.