President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by TIME, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

While investigating Trump's Russia ties.

Total coincidence

Chillbongo likes this.
  2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Comeys not the one doing the grunt work. I assume the investigation will continue. I believe Hillary would've fired him too. In the words of some, what took so long?

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it's amazing the levels of incompetence being exposed in our government, but then again our leading candidates were Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump so... maybe it's not so shocking.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

You're fired.............fentastic, believe me, it will be yuuuuuuuuuuge

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

But he let the investigation continue.

Id bet money the new FBI director will squash it.

7. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The rumored replacements wife is a big Democratic supporter. Of course, he could be different. We shall see. No matter what, it'll be entertaining.

Barnstable likes this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  9. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Lying Ted
    Little Marco
    Crooked Hillary
    and now Crying Chuck Schumer

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mean, he's not really wrong on any of those fronts.

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

You can take quotes out of context and frame any kind of reality you want. The quote from Schumer likely came pre-election.

The timing of all this is extremely curious. I'm glad everyone here can crack jokes and make light of the situation but the reality is that what has transpired is absolutely f***** up. The entire purpose of non-political government bodies is being forcefully kept down.

12. therealdeal

We joke because this stuff has been happening openly for years, but it's only becoming such a forceful, mainstream topic now because of who Trump is.

Hillary would have gotten similar treatment in my opinion, but don't be fooled. This sort of incompetence and conspiracy has been happening for a long time now.

It's why I've campaigned so hard for full fledged political reform and the death of the two party system.

13. Chillbongo

Really? Elections have been influenced by foreign powers, the role of the judiciary completely undermined, the removal of top non-political whistle-blowers? This has been happening repeatedly?

I'm not claiming any kind of innocence or altruism on the past Presidents or Congress, but we've never seen this degree of disregard for the democratic process. I understand that we only know what's put out there, but we are indeed seeing the unprecedented here.

scnottaken likes this.
  14. therealdeal

I would say yes, yes, and almost assuredly to your first questions. Think of it this way: we have heavily influenced the election of leaders in other areas (think Middle East for expediency), why would you assume we're different? The role of all facets of government has been undermined more than once and recently. Bush went around Congress to go to war. Obama went around the Republican Congress by using Executive Orders (as did a number of other Presidents). What was Snowden if not a whistleblower? We chased him to Russia and called him a war criminal.

The degree to which this is unprecedented is a) that it is so public thanks to the various news platforms we have now and b) that people are actively paying attention to it given where our country has gone with its "leaders". I'm sure others can come up with better examples than I gave.

15. Chillbongo

TBH the "we've done it so why wouldn't it be done to us" isn't really good evidence. In reality much of American influence has been direct, obvious and heavy-handed. The alleged interference last fall was covert and deceiving. Different mechanisms to yes, the same outcome.

Regarding the undermining of government, I'm referring specifically to the Judiciary. You're speaking about other mechanisms of power. I'm not complaining about those, I'm referring to the entity responsible for checking and balancing the influences of the executive and legislative branches. That's a big deal.

I'm completely aware of the Media's influence but there are number of us that are not easily swayed by editorials. There is objective truth in what some are saying.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Barnstable likes this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Are you referring to Trump firing Comey for allocating resources to the Russian probe (allegedly) or are you referring to Clinton meeting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch on the tarmac to have discussions about the private server probe (allegedly)?

17. Chillbongo

I was actually referring to the tweets about a "so-called" Federal Judge in Washington regarding a travel ban ruling.

18. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Barnstable likes this.
  19. therealdeal

Well then TBH it seems like you're simply making distinctions for your sake. I mean you admitted that the end is the same, but it's okay when we do it because it's open and it's not okay when Russia does it because it's covert? I'm not sure I follow that logic.

Again, the question here is: it's less egregious when the executive or congressional branches are compromised? Compromising the Judicial branch is worse or different? I don't think so. I think all of them are a big deal and I felt that way under all the Presidents we've had.

I didn't really mention media bias. I think there's always truth to be gleaned from information if you work hard enough to find it. My point isn't that the media is biased (it is), it's that people didn't care as much until Trump was in office because he's so polarizing. People hate him so much they're finally paying attention to government interactions. That's not to say it applies to people in this thread, but it certainly applies to a wide portion of the population.

I am no Trump fan. I find him disgusting. I was no fan of the way Obama handled race relations, but I think Trump's approach is worse. I find his comments regarding women particularly offensive because not only was he completely chauvinistic but he dragged athletes into the equation. Locker room talk? What f***ing locker room? I do like that he's focused on bringing jobs to America even if they're not the jobs I would bring. I do like that he's trying to tax me less.

My main point was that our government is a broken institution. It was broken before Trump took office and it's more broken than ever now.

John3:16 likes this.
  20. Chillbongo

Your first point is derailing the original debate.

My original point: Our elections haven't been covertly influenced by a foreign power before.

Your response: We've influenced other people's elections, why wouldn't others influence our elections.

Apples and oranges TRD. I'm talking about stuff happening in the USA that's unprecedented in the USA. Your point may be that it's OK that it happened here because we do it elsewhere. Regardless of that, it hasn't been done here before. That's my point, that's why my antennae are perked right now.

Regarding what is egregious. The purpose of the Judiciary according to the Constitution is to provide unbiased, non-partisan, non-election oriented checks and balances to the Executive and Legislative branches. Having a President openly undermine members of that entity because they don't support his agenda is entirely undemocratic and on the verge of authoritarianism. As President you respect the process and regardless of how you actually feel you publicly support the democratic process. It absolutely is worse if the Judiciary is compopmised/undermined because we expect the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch to have special interests because re-elections and power are at stake. That's why the Judiciary is part of the tri-fecta - to protect against those interests, in the interest of the American populous!

Regarding taxes. Are you a high income earner? Do you and your wife earn greater than $250,000 - and if you do that's completely fine - but otherwise the tax breaks coming from the ACA repeal will not fatten your pockets a dime. Akin to the Bush tax cuts which were coined as "middle class" tax cuts, they were absolutely not and I highly doubt the Trump tax breaks will either. Unless you are in the top 5% you are not going to receive a tax cut, assuming Trump follows Republican tax break precedent. If you are in the 5% I don't blame you for supporting the tax agenda, but sadly many Americans who support candidates with a tax agenda rarely actually benefit from those tax policies. In fact these same people would save far more money if that money was re-distributed as health coverage.

I'm for stricter borders, protection of American jobs, and fights against terrorism. But we need to be rational about our budget allocations. Health care coverage in this country (lack thereof) will cost us far far far more in the long run than the benefits reaped from high income earners pocketing 5% more income.