President Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by John3:16, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if he feels the need to respond, not just to "clear" his name, but also because that type of aggressiveness played well with the people that got him elected so he feels he should continue to by petty and childish in order to continue his reign.

2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

obama is one of the most intellectual men ever to hold office. quite the contrast from his successor

his legacy will get quite the boost in years to come. he succeeded a president considered by many to be among the worst in history and his successor is without a doubt the most hated man ever to hold the office. that alone will make his legacy look a whole lot better

to an outsider, he seems like an OK president. but i often hear about how obama "made race relations worse." how exactly was he responsible for that? seems a lot like trump is more responsible for dividing people than anyone else based off of what i've seen

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Example: whenever a young black man was killed or harmed in the nation by anyone other than another black man, Obama was quick to denounce it. But in many cases where a non-black was killed or harmed by a black man, Obama was silent. I personally see his pattern of responses in such cases as racist, and at the least have done nothing to resolve racial tensions, but rather have only heightened them.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  4. Savory Griddles

To answer your question, race relations were made bad by the far left AND far right media for years leading up to the election. The politicians often got dragged into this fray and Trump used the existing racial divide to pinpoint a group of people he could get to flip for him in the election (white formerly middle class males looking for work in the rustbelt). I honestly don't know what Trump's positions are as it pertains to race. He simply used the racial tensions to help him win the presidency. What he does now will likely be based on the best business decision possible.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Kind of off topic, but kind of not.

From the perspective of a black person growing up in the US, the race topic, and the amount it's discussed is not new.

It's just new that non blacks are now force to deal with it instead of ignore it, because of social media.

For Obama's part, he's had like 400 times more death threats than any other president. It's not because of policy choices.

6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    And just tonight, a friend of the Clinton's was arrested for threatening to kill Trump. His name is Dominic Puopolo Jr

I'm demented, but this type of stuff interests me. What is going on in their minds to want to kill a president?

7. Barnstable

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump received more death threats than Obama. Left leaning rhetoric, and extremists are going insane right now.

TIME likes this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I think Trump will be assassinated. A dude set himself on fire today outside Trump Tower as a form of protest and he hasn't even took office. if you can do that to yourself, no telling what you can do to another person.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

My guess is they probably think they are being patriots or something? If they do it they will be seen as heroes years in the future? I mean, there has to be some sort of delusion of grandeur at work...or they're just certifiably insane. You also obviously have to be in a position where you have nothing to live for because there is likely zero chance you get away with it.

John3:16 likes this.
  10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  11. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i hope trump proves everyone wrong for the good of america but just based on his actions since winning the election, i can see why so many americans have no faith in him

-his cabinet is easily the least qualified in history (if you're rich and supported trump, you're in!) not to mention shady choices (bannon, rfk jr, devos)
    -handing out important positions to people in his family (kushner)
    -the need to call out everyone who criticizes him on twitter as if he's a 12 year old girl. good luck dealing with that the next four years
    -the whole russia thing is very, very sketchy

and has he really shown that he actually has any idea what he's doing? he seems to just dance around the questions everytime he's asked about important issues. for example, in his recent press conference he was asked about his plan for healthcare to which he danced around the question and responded with something along the lines of "we will have great healthcare."

aside from all this, i'd be pissed off about having pence as my VP. man that guy is a nutjob

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Barnstable likes this.
  12. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I think this is about a fair a report as you'll find. I didn't agree with every position or stat, nor do I expect anyone else to either, but it's detailed and non-partisan as far as I can tell.

All of the gray under "politics" is clearly orange and doesn't bode well for Obama or his legacy. The green under GITMO is odd, as that was one of his year 1 goals and he failed to close it in 8 years.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/19/51049...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170119

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Interesting dichotomy; I feel like 90% of my FB thinks Obama is absolutely perfect, zero mistakes, all 10's across the board, and would instantly delete anyone who remotely disagrees or even goes as far as to correct one remark without bias. Good to see level heads here.

sirronstuff, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  14. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm going to give Obama an extra point solely because he decided to commute Chelsea Manning at the end there.

What I liked:

- Came out in favor of gay marriage (It was kind of late, and bit political, but meh, whatever, still good on him)
    - Instructed DOJ to ignore the distribution and use of marijuana at the state level.
    - Remained supportive of a women's right to choose
    - Ordering the the killing of Osama Bin Laden
    - Normalized relationships with Cuba
    - 2009 stimulus package (though it should have been bigger)
    - The Iran nuclear deal
    - Halted the construction of DAPL
    - The Paris Climate Agreement
    - Basically told Benjamin Netenyahu to **** off by abstaining to vote against UN Resolution 2334

What I didn't like:

- Gitmo still open
    - Drone strikes
    - Did not end wars in the Middle East fast enough
    - Libya
    - Violating habeas corpus
    - Record deportations
    - Didn't push for public option or single payer healthcare, instead settled on what is currently the Affordable Care Act
    - Did not push for reinstating Glass Steagall, instead, settled for Dodd-Frank. Not adequate enough.
    - Gave a **** about what the Republicans in Congress think (they were never going to like you anyways, you think Trump gives a **** about what Democrats think? Nope.)
    - Merrick Garland
    - Extended the Bush tax cuts
    - TPP (Really hurt the Democratic Party and a big reason why his party lost in 2016)
    - Somewhere during his 8 years, decided to become corporate.

Basically IMO, he could have went further and done more things, but decided not to, for whatever reason. And this was less forgivable during his 2nd term. It's not like he could have ran again, he should have just fought the Republicans literally on everything and pull a Bush and do a bunch of recess appointments and have the Republicans take him to court.

Barnstable likes this.
  15. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Did you just call him Low Energy? :Kobe Snickering:

I disagree with you on the Iran Nuke deal. No idea how this is a good thing in any way possible. You brought up some good points that I didn't have listed / didn't think about.
    Also glad you recognized how he treated Israel. Something he denied up until the end.

I'm really on the fence in regard to Chelsea Manning. I love Wikileaks and Manning put them on the map. But, after being the military for 24 years, I know what would've happened to me if I did anything close to that and it was a betrayal to her oath and brothers and sisters-in-arms, but also so freaking patriotic. So yeah, I'm really having a hard time with that one. Where do you stand in regard to Russian hacks and Wikileaks, if I may ask?

16. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

What did he deny about Israel? It's not like we cut funding to them and separated diplomatic relations. The U.S. is still pretty much butt buddies with Israel. If anything his rebuke of the Netenyahu administration was long over due. Just about everyone and their moms agree that a two-state solution is the best for both parties. Hezbollah should stop firing rockets into Israel, but Israel needs to stop settlement activity in Palestinian territory. Problem is that Netenyahu is a hardliner and a two state solution is a non-starter for him.

And with regard to Russia, I felt like Trump was their guy and did everything possible to help him win. They weren't manipulating voter ballots in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, but they weren't on the sidelines either. That said, the U.S. has also interfered with the domestic politics of other countries before too, so at the end of the day it's whatever. This is just what countries do. I'm over it, Russia was like ranked a millionth among the list of reasons why Clinton lost.

therealdeal, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

:MitchQFT:

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Not confirmed, but reports say Obama gave Palestine $221 million a couple hours before the inauguration.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. Barnstable

I saw that. Depending on who he gave it to, I'm all for it.

I was neutral on Palestine Israel, but Israel keeps building settlements on neutral and Palestinian land.

20. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^ I'm not. I don't think we should give one penny to countries that hate us. In fact, I'm not in favor of giving any country any of our money. Not until our debt is gone, no one is homeless, no one is hungry, etc.

sirronstuff, revgen and gcclaker like this.