Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Just a quick reminder to the guys here who don't want PG on this team. Even if his ceiling might be second best player on a championship team. I mean that's pretty darn good. A guy with that mentality I want on our team.

2. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    good point. and its crazy but i had kinda forgot he had that horrible injury. def wouldnt be able to tell by watching him play

3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Is PG gonna lead us to a title? No. Will he legitimize our franchise and entice others to come? Absolutely.

IMO, You sign him and get ecstatic. Absolutely no reason to pass on him.

4. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Basically, some people just want Superman to arrive and save us all. That's Superman and Superman only.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

PG is a piece you absolutely have to gun for. But him being the only piece added this summer would be a let down imho.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and John3:16 like this.
  6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

No doubt. Magic said this was the summer and we gave him the year. The Nance Clarkson trade set everything up. Now it's time to deliver. Just PG is a let down. Gotta hit a 2 run homer.

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Letdown is a little strong of a word. If we added just him and resigned Randle, we'd be a legit playoff team. With the past 5 seasons being what they were, I think that's a good offseason. Perspective is key.

8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I’d be extatic if we “only” added PG and resigned Randle. We’d have a whole other year and summer to get another star. That would be a much easier sell if we were on track to win 45-50 games next year

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Should be our goal. Make that high end of our goal. the reason why landing PG seems a little meek is because the prep and everything else we did for this off-season isn't exactly designed to land him and him alone.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. I'm not let down if we get "only George". The reality is we've been terrible for 5 years and just came off a 30 win season. We're in solid shape and have a bright future, but nothing is guaranteed about our present.

The way I see it though is an avalanche. If George comes, it's an indication that we're back and just listening to the way players talk about us, once we're back everyone will want to join in.

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I'm not against signing Randle, but at what price? Max? NO!!!! I kinda want my max players to be all stars and make one of the 3 All Pro teams.

To me, signing Randle is after, and only after, we go after 2 difference makers (PG, Bron, Leonard).

12. Savory Griddles

I mean, I don't think anyone is advocating max money for Randle, and if someone signs him to a max offer sheet, then I say, "Good day to you, sir." If he gets between 15 and 18, I think that's fair. I just don't know what's going to happen. I think we will know if Houston is in or out before free agency begins as it pertains to Lebron because their best way of acquiring him would be a sign and trade that would likely involve their picks. By July 1st, we'll have a good idea if it's down to us and Philly or not. If we aren't going through back channels with Mintz and Rich Paul to get an idea of intentions before July 1st, we'd be idiots.

13. vasashi17

"Imho"...so let down for me personally.

Mag/Pelinka strategically got 2max spots, otherwise they coulda stopped at the BLo/Kuz trade and called it a day. Nance is on a team friendly deal (and who I happen to love as a player/teammate/person) and JC still coulda provided scoring punch off the bench on a deal that wasn't MozDeng bad.

They're gunning for 2max, so if we can't achieve it this summer, I believe in their minds, plan A wasnt achieved. So it's somewhat of a let down...and if not to them, then definitely me, cause I woulda loved to hold onto Nance if just PG was the end game (ie BLo/Kuz trade). If that 25 (that came in the Nance deal) leads to a rim protector (Robinson) or a viable means to dumping Deng, then I can stomach it a bit more. But it's 2max/legit title contention or bust for me at this point. I'm tired of f***ing around.

14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Kawhi Leonard could end the Warriors dynasty on one decision. He holds the key to it all.

If Kawhi tells the Spurs, either you trade me to the Lakers or I leave next year for the Lakers for nothing, than the forcing of the hand begins.

Lakers trade Brandon Ingram, sign and trade Randle, Deng, 25th, 47th pick and whatever filler needed for Kawhi.

At that point, Paul George signs July 1 and LeBron follows after that.

With some luck maybe Lopez signs for hometown discount, now you have...

Lopez
    James
    Leonard
    George
    Ball

Kuzma is the Super 6
    Hart
    Veteran ring chaser
    Veteran ring chaser
    Veteran ring chaser
    11th man
    12th man

That team gets Lebron, if he stays healthy 4 more years, at least another 3 rings.

15. Savory Griddles

I look at the second trade as a way to have the ability to do it. It was never likely we could go sign 2 max deals. I think it was done just to give us the ability if the stars aligned. We all loved Nance and thought Clarkson could be a good sixth man, but they showed how far they were from actually contributing in high level basketball situations (more so with Clarkson).

abeer3 likes this.
  16. vasashi17

Bringing in a star (even if you're luke warm on dude) is still strategic in that you block other competitors from nabbing him. Plus PGs from here, so you know he wants to show out for his family, friends and hometown. You have to go get him if he's an option, no questions asked.

Plus, I keep thinking back to that earlier pic and just don't give any of that s*** life... Lets go get our guy. But we shouldn't just stop there. A playoff berth is great and all after a 5 year abscense, but exploit PG's prime now. Why wait? Get that 2nd max guy (ie Bron) and compete right the f*** now.

OmarE and abeer3 like this.
  17. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

And that Is the perfect dream. Top it off with those 3 rings coming against the C Bags or 76’ers like old times. I hope that happens.

Big Mamma Jamma and svtzr like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it was for leverage, imo. they sacrificed nance for leverage. the question is whether the leverage is ours or houston's (i.e., houston uses the LA cap space to consummate the forced lebron trade--which would be sort of japanese samurai suicide-worthy).

Savory Griddles likes this.
  19. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

There is 15 all NBA slots and something like 40-60 max contracts in the nba. Also first contract max’s aren’t as bad as those for a 10+ year veteran. I wouldn’t offer Randle the max but I wouldn’t be sad about retaining him for it.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, just calling it max erases, say, the 10 million per difference between lebron's and randle's max salary.

that said, randle's not a 25 million per player, and that's ok because i don't think anyone's going to offer that. 20 per is quite possible, though, and i think you have to match that.

TIME, Barnstable and wallangong like this.