Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

actually, i did look, and gordon/tucker/nene/onuaku is enough to bring back lebron. so, foul tip. my batter is alive and well and pointing to the left field bleachers.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Why though? That cranks up their salary to like 140 million. Why would Dan Gilbert, who doesn't like Lebron, pay an insane tax bill to make Lebron happy? Because he gets the 28 or 29th pick in the draft for a couple years? I mean, I applaud the reverse jinx, but at this point you are reverse jinxing something that, if it happens, needs to be investigated by the FBI for potential blackmail/extortion/league anti-trust issues... :rofl:

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

The only thing foul is your continued persistence haha. Nice play on my theme tho...respect.

I did link you to the proposed trade you mentioned and it doesn't work in the trade machine in my previous post. I think you might have missed it.

2018/19 salaries:

Bron: 35.6

Gordon: 13.5
    PJ: 8
    Nene: 3.7
    Onuaka: 1.6
    = 26.8

Per Larry Coon's CBA, whether the Cavs and Rox are tax-payers (they are) or not, 125% + 100K is allowed by the Rox since the salaries inbound/outbound are more than 19.6M.

They are sending out about 27M and by rule are allowed to only bring back 33.85M. And Morey can't GeraldGreen the situation by bringing a guy sitting at home to S&T that player to make up the difference....cause if he did, the Rox by rule are locked into a hard cap at 130M (cap apron), which means they can't overshoot that number during any part of the season.

Bron: 35.6
    Harden: 30.4
    Cp3 caphold: 35.4
    Ariza caphold: 12.9
    Capela caphold (before matching): 7
    = 121.3M

They can't match Capela if he signs an offer sheet more than 16M. They can't use vet mins and exceptions to round out the roster since they would be so close to the apron and can't pass it. Only way is to renounce their free agents and either lose them in free agency or hope they sign for cheap.

Foul tip fly out....caught! Don't try to crack your bat over that crystal ball as you head back to the dugout. I'm telling ya, you still can get a refund.

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Perhaps I missed it somewhere in this thread, but can't the Rockets just waive CP3 in favor of Lebron?

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

uh, ok. i guess they add the chinese guy's 1.5 million. boom. or, they move one or more of these guys (in separate deals) for guys that make more than them, then flip those guys to make up the tiny difference you mention.

as for the apron/hard cap...does that apply to re-signing your own guys? i didn't think it did.

yes, but i can't see how that helps them all that much. i mean, lebron's better than paul, but in that case, i think they might have to unload more pieces just to squeeze lebron in. also, i'm pretty sure they have an under-the-table agreement with paul that he would completely blow up if they reneged.

tada likes this.
  6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Thanks, honestly I'd do that in a heartbeat if I were them :D

I thought more gymnastics were required with people talking how impossible it were for Lebron to land there. I'd put them as front-runners too if that were the case. He'd have the best chance to win a chip in Houston with a squad that took the Warriors to 7 games without CP3.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think they could move love for a pick and then move korver for nothing (perhaps adding a second rounder). then they're under the tax entirely. and if lebron leaves, there is ZERO reason for them not to tank as hard as is humanly possible. that's another angle folks are discounting.

the only angle the "no way" group has is what's gilbert's motivation to play ball? i'd say it's the picks. push them far enough into the future with no protection and who knows? nobody thought the nets/C Bags deal would end up like this. people thought it would be a bunch of mid to late 1sts (honestly, i bet ainge would admit to as much, gun to his head). you never know. in this case, you do, though--in three years, paul will be done, lebron will be close, and harden will have had his first knee injury (which will totally gilbert arenas him). they'll have had no way to restock the cupboard and should be terrible. those picks should be pretty good.

the second part of that is: what's lebron's leverage? and, sadly, it's the lakers and their cap space.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to double check, but I'm not sure they have the cap space for that. Would be one hell of a move though. :D

tada likes this.
  9. vasashi17

26.8M for Gordon, PJ, Nene, Onuaka + Qi's 1.4 = 28.2M

So 125% + 100K of 28.2M = 35.35M

They're still short 250K and you can't make that difference up by throwing cash into the deal. Houston doesn't have a 1st round pick this summer to make up that difference unless they trade for one. A 2nd round pick can't be traded cause it has no value in a deal.

So the only way to make up the difference is to do a S&T using one of their free agents and if they do then they are automatically hard capped...

Or they can use cash to go hunting for fringe min and non-guaranteed players kind of like they did to go get Cp3 last summer, when they were dealing with the same exact thing. They then turn around and trade those players in a Bron package to make up the difference.

Abeerstrodamus and his crystal ball have life...but you have to admit, there's a whole bunch of hoops to jump through.

10. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

If a package around Gordon, Tucker, Nene, and Onuaku can get you Lebron, then we should easily be able to flip Hart/Zubac/Deng for Kawhi.

11. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Who can they sign for peanuts from last year's roster because if they sign someone that wasn't on last years roster then they can't make the trade due to having to wait in order to trade that player? Right? Or can they sign someone from their g-league and throw in that trade? THEN does Cleveland even have room for 5 players without having to get rid of someone they like?

12. vasashi17

If it's another team's free agent that Houston signs then they have to wait a minimum till Dec.15th to trade that player. If they trade for a 1st rounder (they don't currently have one) and draft a player, then they can trade that player (and his rights) after a minimum of 30 days (ie July 21st).

If it's one of their own free agents (for example, Tarik Black) then they would need Tarik to consent on a S&T and have Gilbert okay that player as incoming salary that could potentially affect taxes. Also with a tax paying team conducting a S&T, Morey will be hard-capped at 130M, so they can't do anything with the roster to go past that number for the rest of the year. Ie hoops need to be jumped thru.

Morey can also go fringe player hunting with cash and trade with teams to snag up non-guaranteed and minimum contracts to add to a potential Bron package to make the trade work. Morey is at the mercy of another team to just give him these players and then has to go back to Gilbert to see it those players will be fine to add to Cleveland for Bron. Ie hoops need to be jumped thru.

Also the Cavs have 9 guaranteed contracts without Bron, so they can essentially do a 7 for 1 Bron trade and wouldn't be in any violation to complete that type of deal. Wait, how many hoops does that make now?

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Lol thx. Say if they do pull off Lebron trade which seems is really not likely, Capela is no guarantee either depending on if he gets an offer elsewhere for big money right? Also if Gilbert says no then they got to make all these trades happen to fit him in the salary and it's a guarantee no Capela right?

May I get to the grand conclusion and ask is cp, Harden, Lebron and MAYBE Capela enough with a bunch of nobody's elsewhere? Imo they oughta just keep the same team and try to make a trade to improve more. They would have a shot like us to try and slay the warriors.

14. therealdeal

@tada the question was: can Houston just leave CP3 behind and go get LeBron. The answer: No.

They'd still have 87.9 million on the books without Chris Paul leaving only 14.1 million to play with. If they traded out Ryan Anderson and one of the smaller contracts for no money they could do it. Why would LeBron want Houston without Chris Paul though?

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@therealdeal Thanks, so with CP3 gone it's much more realistic.

Even without Chris Paul, the Rockets are much better than Lebron's other options in the Cavs, Lakers and Philly. They probably would have beaten the Warriors with CP3, so what would have happened if they had LeBron? They don't need 3 playmakers IMO.

16. therealdeal

Houston without Chris Paul isn't better than Philly or LA. Not by a long shot. They're one twisted ankle away from the same team he's leaving in Cleveland plus Capela.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

So you're saying the Lakers (with George) or Philly would take the Warriors to 7 games, nearly beating them?

18. vasashi17

TL;DR version: Capela is restricted, so Rox can match any offer. If the Rox genuinely went to keep Capela at any cost, they're guaranteed to keep him. The only way they aren't guaranteed to keep him is if the Rox conduct a S&T that leads to them becoming hard-capped. See below for details.

Personally, I think anything can happen when you pair at least 2 stars together...Magic/Kareem, Shaq/Kobe, MJ/Pip...........................................................................................................(I need to get enough separatation of those classic combos from this next part), heck even look at what Harden/Cp3 did this year in being just 1 win away from the Finals.

So you pair Bron with any star and I think it gives that team a shot. With just Love, Game 1 & 3 were a few Cavs bounces away from being a 2-2 Final series. So our #2018plan is a solid one if it involves Bron. Some of y'all would be happy with just PG this summer...not me.

And now for the Capela part. If Morey at any time during this summer does a S&T, the Rockets are hard capped at 130M (ie cap apron). Since Morey used the biannual exception (valued at 3.2M) last year on Tarik Black, Houston does not have that exception to use this year. So the only way to add salary for Houston is to use vet mins and their own free agent bird rights. But if they are hard capped, they can only use mins and rights that potty their total team salary below 130M.

So the way this relates to Capela is that if Gilbert (or any 3rd team to facilitate a Bron opt-in & trade to Htown) refuses Anderson's contract, Morey would have to trade all of his guaranteed contracts on the Rox payroll and still wouldn't have enough salary to trade for Bron's 35.6M contract. So in order to make up the difference, Morey would either have to use cash or their 2nd round pick to trade to another team for vet mins (ie the Quartermanns of the NBA) or Morey would have to look at his own free agents (for example Tarik) and have them agree to be part of a S&T to the Cavs to make up the outgoing salary difference in bringing Bron back. If that's the case, they cannot match any Capela offer sheet that puts them past the cap apron.

19. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Harden AND LeBron? I dunno. Just not a good idea. I'm pretty sure though both Lakers (with George) and Sixers would be moving the ball a lot by design and ALL of their players would wanna play that way.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

20. therealdeal

I think there's as good a shot at that as there would be Harden and LeBron doing it. The Lakers and Sixers are much deeper and more talented top to bottom. These young Lakers too the Warriors to overtime twice without LeBron and George. They beat the Cavs, beat the Rockets in Houston, and beat the Sixers and C Bags as well.