Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

eats space. if you're still on a two-max plan, you're going to have to dump one or both of those guys for nothing if you bring george in. nobody's taking deng.

plus, okc should want cost-controlled value (which randle and clarkson could provide) over cap space (which i'm not sure matters as much given their draw in the FA market).

Barnstable likes this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

If we can get PG here in a trade that doesn’t include players we expect to be here next season, I do it. But yeah, I don’t see OKC doing it, I see them taking their chances. I do think their big 3 is a bad mix, but all it takes is for Westbrook getting hot and George being featured a little more for them to go on a winning streak and be right in there with homecourt in round one of the playoffs. But if they would take KCP and pieces for George, of course I do that. Randle wouldn’t be in my first offer, but he might be in my final offer if that gets it done.

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The new thread subtitle sure sounds good to me. Make it so Rob and Magic!

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it does, but someone will take Clarkson back and then you do what you have to do to get rid of Deng. Chicago is a common name brought up as a dumping ground and they make some sense. Attach our earliest 1st with some minor protections. Throw in Zubac. Take back a lesser contract.

Deal 1:
    Randle/KCP for George

Deal 2:
    Deng/1st/Zubac for Mirotic (Team Option decline in the summer)

Deal 3:
    Clarkson for Al Jefferson (partially guaranteed contract to only 4 million next season)

Ball/Ennis
    George/Hart
    Ingram/Brewer
    Kuzma/Mirotic
    Lopez/Bryant/Jefferson

Lots of moving pieces, but you see where I'm going.

George- 20.7
    Ball- 7.5
    Ingram- 5.8
    Jefferson- 4
    Kuzma- 1.7
    Hart- 1.7
    Bryant- 1.4

That gets you to 46.3 million after minimum cap holds. That leaves 54.7 million to spend on adding two more big pieces. You could add LeBron at 34 million and still have 20 to spend on someone. You could add Cousins at 29 million and still have 25 million to spend. If both of them take a paycut, they can both be here. Give George an extension when you've finished.

5. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Is it a condition PG opts in if he gest traded here? You know he'll demand around 30+M next year right?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

6. therealdeal

Yes that's assuming he opts in and then takes an extension instead of opting out to get more cash. Even if he doesn't though, we're looking at a cap total of roughly 55.3 million which would leave us with still over 45 million to spend. That's easily enough for a max contract to even a 10+ year vet with another 12 million to spend on a difference maker. You could go get say LeBron and hell maybe try to re-sign KCP if there's no rules against it.

Wade, Wilson Chandler, Iman Shumpert, Danny Green, Trevor Booker, maybe you get lucky with Avery Bradley, Corey Joseph, Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer, Lou Williams, Marco Bellinelli, Ersan Ilyasova, Wayne Ellington, JJ Redick, Nerlens Noel, Brook Lopez, Enes Kanter, Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, Thaddeus Young, Tony Parker, Mirotic. Derrick Favors.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Almost no chance he opts in. We're talking about 10M difference here. I can see him signing that megacontract the moment he arrives. Too much bank on one player. I'm a PG fan but even that scares me. Other huge similar contracts were for home grown talents of their respective teams, so chemistry, familiarity and everything else was never a question. PG13 is basically an outsider yet he'll have almost same contract.

So, we're back to just one other superstar. I'm beginning to like the idea of Cousins over Bron and then one other excellent veteran/role player.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I honestly think it'd require Randle in Deal 2. A 1st rounder and Zubac is not enough to entice someone to take Deng. I'd do it too. I love Randle, but we will have to pay for the Deng transgression at some point, whether it be giving up a good player to trade him or missing out on a free agent because he's on the roster.

9. therealdeal

Just one other superstar along with the base we've already got growing. That's no small feat.

Not to mention, "Just one other superstar" doesn't take into account the other 12 million. That's no small amount of money.

I also disagree that there's almost no chance he opts in. He'd be playing where he wanted to all along, alongside probably one other superstar who he'd approve of. It's not unheard of for these top guys to give back money in order to help field a better team. I'd say there's a less than 50% chance it happens, but it's not as open and shut as you make it seem. Chris Paul just did the same the thing this summer. If Paul George opts in and takes a one year extension (a la LeBron James), it keeps the pressure on the Lakers to stay competitive, but also opens him up to a much bigger payday in 2020 than he'd get in 2018. It's not unheard of. I'm not counting on him opting in, but he can.

Also, it doesn't matter if he opts in or not we only have enough for one single max slot unless someone wants to take less money.

10. therealdeal

I think Chicago could end up like Brooklyn taking on bad deals while they rebuild in order to get picks. If we offered a pick with minor protection (Top 5?) I could see them biting. We could also offer some second rounders or maybe one of Hart or Nance to get it done. I'd prefer not to get into another 1st round pick (more heavily protected), but that's not ideal.

11. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    PG is in a position to demand max as max as possible. Barely starting his prime.

Boss, Wade, Bron took less, but not via a 10M haircut.

12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Screw the pick protection if it's a difference maker in any way.

13. therealdeal

I don't think it's so easy to dismiss. He'll make up nearly that 10 million in LA with other ventures, he lives at home, and he plays with LeBron + one other major piece? Could be worth it. It's at least more plausible than you're making it at to be.

But like I said, even if he didn't we'd still have well over a max slot to offer. The difference is having 45 million or 54 million to spend on other pieces. If him taking a short-term pay cut means landing LeBron (34) and Cousins (20) for instance, then I think he'd consider it. If all he's getting is one other person to play with him, then he probably takes as much money as he can get and they use the remaining 9 million on another piece to go with them. It's certainly not out of the question.

14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Pick protection is why we have Ingram and Ball.

Cookie and Weezy like this.
  15. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    I like how you're playing the allure of LA market big time. It would still be there with or without the haircut.

Hey, I'm not saying these things with absolute certainty. I'm just saying why and how this whole PG contract will happen where I see it most probable leaning.

16. therealdeal

I am playing the cards dealt. There's a reason the Lakers are always a consideration by FAs. If I'm teaming up to come play in LA and I have an opportunity to bring in some huge names, I'll do it. Why wouldn't I? It's a possibility.

Even if it's not, everything I said still stands.

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

via Forbes:

Just saying....VICE just did a cover on KCP and pondered about his trade value heading into the deadline.

Another wrinkle in all of this is that All-Star will be in LA this year 10 days after the trade deadline. The new format will have 2 team captains picking their teams from a pool of players that are chosen by fans and NBA coaches. PG13 should be in that pool and we all know Jeanie wants a Laker all-star to be an ambassador for the city for that weekend. What better way to "recruit" PG13 to reup with the Lakers than to have him hold the keys for the city during All-star? I think the Lakers could be pretty aggressive in getting their guy, if Presti is ready to move on.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Rooting for Indiana. Let's go!!!

therealdeal and Battle Tested20 like this.
  19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I hope Dipo goes for 50!

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how pg gona get into all-star this yr? doubt he gets voted in, whether hes a laker or a thunder