Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    OKC has looked good lately.

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

This is the first tweet that started off this entire thread. Notice "longterm". PG even during all-star was saying that wherever he chooses this summer, it will be the place that he sees himself sticking for as long as he can control. He chose LA as a longterm spot even when we were terrible with no glimmer of hope (ie #2018plan) in sight with MozDeng still on the roster. Mintz had already 2 clients in LA in DLo and Jules. Since then, we've found a nice home for DLo in that he can still be "the headliner" of that team all while living that life in Brooklyn. Meanwhile we hung onto Jules past this trade deadline knowing that we could very well lose the guy in free agency if he/Mintz decide to squeeze us and force our hand. Then during the media scrum after the IT trade, Magic is quoted as saying he loves how Jules has been playing recently. Maybe he's part of the plans and Mintz wants his clients to play with each other still.

However OKC (who wasn't even on his radar in terms of longterm destinations) dared to throw a wrench in the machine. Their priority was to lock up Russ, but in the process things appeared to have changed for PG. There's the "brotherhood" angle now and how George is happy where he is. Could be lip service, but if it isn't then you got to go get him the "brotherhood" he seeks.

That is where LaBron comes into play cause with all the glory Russ is getting in leading the NBA in assists, LaBron is right behind him in assists. However when it comes to the team game, OKC is 2nd to last in assist percentage, while Cavs (injuries and midseason trades and all) are 13th in assist %age. This stat alone shows me just how ill fitting that OKC roster is. You really want to play with that PG?

Now lets consider Russ has played with an injury free Melo/PG, while LaBron lost Ky and played without Love/IT for large portions of this season. Russ has played with a stable roster and a lineup that had consistent minutes/roles (along with Gentry and Thibs, Donavon has his starters of Adams, PG, Melo and Russ in the top 35 players playing the most minutes, with Russ and George being 6th and 7th in total minutes played this season) while LaBron had to deal with a large roster haul midseason (6 players out, 4 players in and IT only playing in 15 games at less than 100%).

LaBron leads the league in minutes played and is projected to play all 82 games for the 1st time in his career. That scares me, especially with the recent reports about his back problems in 2015.... But still it's a testament to him to put in the work and it's really interesting he's doing so in a year where he's about to be a free agent and is likely convincing teams as well as potential future teammates, that he's worth the risk.

Last little interesting wrinkle about Brew to OKC. It's almost like LA did OKC a solid this season, hoping that OKC does them a solid next season if PG decides to head back home to LA (ie Presti helps facilitate a PG trade to us).

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

but how is george going to join lebron in houston or golden state?

svtzr likes this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I dont think we did okc a favor unless brewer told them exactly where he was signing post buy out

alam1108 likes this.
  5. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

We can talk till we’re blue in the face about will he or won’t he. But this right here is the critical point!

Cookie, lakerjones, johnnyboy and 2 others like this.
  6. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    They're playing the C Bags tonight. If they make it through this brutal 10 game stretch that they have with flying colors, yeah, PGinLA will be in a critical condition.

I expect them to go 7-3. Anything better than that will just reaffirm what many have thought in the beginning of the season, OKC is trouble and could be GSW's biggest threat, not Houston.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Kenzo likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

houston's got the 1 seed wrapped up and has beat the stuffing out of like, everyone. i'd say they're either the #1 contender or the hunted, actually.

svtzr likes this.
  8. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    If the standing sticks, they're more likely to face OKC in the 2nd round after dealing with a Spurs that has a healthy Kawhi if Kawhi does come back, healthy. Not an easy road.

9. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Going back to his original statement that he wanted to be here regardless of the fact that we sucked and were still shackled down by Mitch and Jim's signings, we need to remind him of the quality of life differences between LA and OKC. Maybe to do a reverse-billboard campaign for PG. Put them in Oklahoma instead, on the way from the airport to their practice facility or arena where he will constantly see them and have them feature tornadoes.

[​IMG]

Juronimo, Kenzo, sirronstuff and 4 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    People are sleeping on Utah, but they are locking people up on D

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    you have the most posts on the wrong thread, compadre

12. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    OKC with a big choke job tonight. One moment they were leading by a gazillion, seconds later they lost the game.

TIME and lakerjones like this.
  13. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

:Fishwink:
    OKLAHOMA lost to C Bags in last 20 seconds.They were up 6 points

TIME, ZenMaster and lakerjones like this.
  14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Roberson at that point had been on the IR for a minute and it was the NBA's worst kept secret that OKC needed to fill that void since their defense had fallen off a cliff. Right when I heard about Brew being waived, I thought, "watch, OKC is going to get him now" cause they had the starting role vacant and the minutes to match. Plus he knows they need him to make the playoffs cause OKC's bench is horrific. This is all before I even knew that Brew and Donovan had a connection.

Plus the timeline matches up.....hours after we buy him out, Woj drops this...

Its really too convenient and we know its not the money cause he signed the vet min when there was money to be had elsewhere. So LA knowing that we probably aren't going to make the playoffs and Brew isn't going to help OKC terrorize us in May if we realistically had no shot, then why not help out Presti knowing that if George/Mintz try to look out for OKC by not having him walk away with nothing to show for it, then Presti should help facilitate a trade to us and at least get some pieces back in return.

Either way, its just good business to help Brew out, help OKC out and in return if the time comes and the circumstance permits, then they could help George and us out.

Btw after the C Bags loss, I was curious to how bad OKC was at the line...unsurprisingly, they are better then us cause we're dead last. Surprisingly they are only 0.5% better than us and are ranked 2nd to last in the league...yikes!

Cookie, TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I should have quoted other posts so it was in context. My bad.

The stats of Utah since they picked up Crowder are crazy on D. Since this ventured into playoff talk, I think anyone who ends up facing the Jazz is in for a tough out. Pretty surprising considering they just lost their best player this year to free agency.

standings.png

With Utah playing so well, it's quite possible we are looking at a 4-5 matchup in the first round actually. I don't think they are moving up in the standings, and I don't see the teams below them playing well enough to overtake them for the 4 seed. But I can see Utah playing well enough to get the 5 seed.

Hope that clarifies.

16. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Their last 9 games: Heat,blazers,spurs,nuggets,pelicans,warriors,rockets,heat,griz

I think they go 5-4 if they are lucky.

lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

They'll still make playoffs imo, paper clipps n Mcnuggets are continuing to lose....it would be funny if our last gm against clipps determine either okc or lac playoff birth, win or lose we F over one of them lol

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

They will make the playoffs for sure, but if they end up 7th or 8th, they’re gonna be out in round one to the Warriors or Rockets. So that’s still something to root for.

19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

OKC is safely in the playoffs now, imo. I honestly don't think they finish any lower than the 6th seed.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

really want okc in the 4/5 slot, as i want to see them play hou in the second round. this ensures at least one positive outcome for me.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.