Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Could we give up a future 1st rd pick for George?

2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    It's possible. Might help them tank a bit, too.

3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

OK, I was just thinking what the Pelicans gave up for Cousins.

Buddy Hield
    Tyreke Evans
    Langston Galloway
    2017 1st rd pick (10th pick)
    2017 2nd rd pick (42nd pick)

The Top 3 pick alone is worth more than Buddy Hield. Add in Clarkson, who is worth everything else the Pelicans gave up.

JC + Top 3 pick + future 1st rounder should be more than enough. Any more would be overpaying for a star forcing his way out imo.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I wouldn't compare any deals or potential deals with that one. Kings owner was in love with Buddy Hield, and even Vlade said he had better offers out there.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yes, but George's clear preference for destination is also an incalculable factor. I'd say these deals are comparable.

sirronstuff and lakerfan2 like this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I want to believe but I feel like we've heard that a guy liked LA a few times and it blew up in our faces. I think George would like to play here but I'm not sure how far that goes, especially if he makes an all nba team and the pacers can pay him 75 million more dollars.

Our track record in free agency just doesn't make me feel good about a wait and see strategy. We have new guys running things but that's good and bad.

scnottaken likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm very confident that George wants to come here.

I'm also confident he won't come here if we still look like a 20 win team.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

I would much rather trade our pick or some youngsters for Jimmy Butler.

Then I would wait and sign PG13 next summer.

Butler and George would be a great versatile tandem. You have guys that would not be afraid to take it at the games best e.g. LeBron

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well if the rumors aren't true (of George wanting to be a Laker) I'd rather not waste our valuable assets on another Dwight situation. All this talk is based on the assumption that he'd sign an extension right? Otherwise meh, let's roll with our kids.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

cousins/george aren't comparable, imo. cousins is a total nutjob whose teams have never won. george seems to be sane and has been the clear-cut best player on what i would consider contending-level teams.

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We're comparing their trade value; not their player value. While I agree that Cousins is a nutjob, George has been equally as toxic as of late bashing his teammates. And if the rumors are true, he has a clear preference to land here, which further lowers his value on the market.

trodgers likes this.
  12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think you're both onto something here. Cousins didn't help the Pelicans. They were arguably better without him. The Kings were about the same - I think - without him. He's a great talent, but he doesn't make teams better. George is the best player and he seems to make teams better.

But both created toxic environments and headaches for management. George's value in trade takes a huge hit because he wants LA, he wants to win, and he's burning bridges in Indy. But his value starts higher than Cousins's.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't see his comments as toxic, and again--comparing this to cousins, who has the emotional control of my 3 year old, doesn't make sense to me. there were supposedly many teams who wouldn't even bid on cousins. pretty much anyone will bid on george.

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Saying he needs the last shot and calling out Lance doesn't sound toxic? Or saying that he wants to contend or be gone? I know it's putting pressure on management, but who wants to play in Indy?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if his comments are toxic, but they are unnecessary. Like I've said, if I were his teammate I'd give him a piece of my mind in the locker room. There's no need to take those opinions public. The damage isn't irreparable though. One win puts everyone back on everyone else's good side.

I think Cousins is the right place to start with trade value though just because he was the last star traded. I think you start at prospect/1st/2nd and you move up the ladder from there. I think a fair offer for someone who could leave in the summer would be 1st/future pick/prospect. I think that'd be more than fair. I've been on the Randle/Clarkson/Hou 1st for a while now. I may even say something like Top 3/Zubac/Deng or something like that. That's way more than a fair trade for a guy who has hinted he could come here in a year.

If those trades aren't enough for Indy, then I keep everything I've got and wait until the trade deadline. Or I got to Chicago and see how much Butler wants out.

raviator and tada like this.
  16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Not just one win - one series win over a favorite to end up in the Finals representing the East. Even if that series goes 4-3 for Cleveland, I still think the damage is there. Maybe that's what you meant by "one win," but I wasn't sure.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

saying he needs the last shot: isn't this what everyone is criticizing lebron about all the time? not saying/wanting this? i'm all for the best player saying he needs the shot.

calling out lance: he's a nutjob like cousins, whose emotions get in the way of his game. he let that happen in a playoff game, and the leader of the team was pissed about it and said so.

miles and stephenson are expendable players, anyway. so, he's not hurting the team long-term, nor is he lowering his trade value, imo.

i might agree with real that you try not to do this through the press, but there's nothing problematic with the statements from my standpoint.

returning to the larger point, i think he fetches more than cousins in trade if it occurs this summer. his value will go down as the year drags on, though. given the lakers' recent free agency periods, i'd rather have a star in hand than to be again chasing them. in fact, i sort of hate FA. it's actually a lot like playing the lottery. one or two teams win, at most. everyone else has buyer's remorse on big purchases, usually within a few months. trade for stars, use FA to get bargain role players.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Juronimo likes this.
  18. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm hoping getting George isn't hindered by Bird having any rivalistic feelings toward Magic. I know they are more friends now, but this puts them right back to competing for the best trade aquisitions for PG.

Hopefully Bird and Magic's history helps the negotiations more than it hinders them.

19. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If anything, that would hurt Bird more than Magic.

If Larry is going to ask for too much, he's going to end up with too little. Magic won't budge, teams knowing he may bolt for LA won't budge.

20. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

^
    Right so why offer anything substantial?