Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ for the 17182074 time, every GM, coach, player... sane person would make a run for AD.

2. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    ^for the 2. time in my case - yes, if he was available. As evidenced, he wasn't.

For some reason the remaining GMs, coaches and stars in the league didn't try to throw their entire teams at NO. The Lakers/Bron tried to bully NO to trade Davis to us and threw the entire team under the bus in the process, don't give me this every same person would do this s**t when clearly we were the only franchise that did. It was a terrible, terrible mistake. IMO the main if not only reason for that mistake is known for his great stats and has a unique tattoo across his back.

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ Was any other team named in his "trade demand"? When the news broke out, you didn't want us to go after AD?
    You're a certified LeBron hater and i respect that, seriously. That being said, i can't blame him for the AD fiasco.

4. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    L
    Let's not act like this whole thing wasn't orchestrated by our management and/or (more probable) Bron himself. We could have just waited or not made it public and put pressure on NO by doing so. We could also not have offered the entire freaking team for Davis. And no, I don't agree he's worth all our prospects plus multiple picks.

We did not "react" to being named his trade demand, we were or Bron/his agent was sitting behind the wheel from the very beginning. All the blame should be allocated accordingly.

Calling me a hater doesn't really add much to the discussion, does it? I may be one, but I have also tried very hard to embrace him, he does not make it easy on me and the others who were sceptical. Clearly not a lot has gone the right way since he joined. It's not all on him of course, but he deserves a significant portion of the blame.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he was involved in the AD fiasco in several ways. but he's also the only reason we're even getting mentioned in the AD sweepstakes. give and take.

6. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    Maybe yes, but we don't really know that. Bron chose to join the Lakers because he saw something of value in the team, we did have a couple interesting prospects and the all so precious cap space. Other stars may see it similarly.

I know we had huge difficulties attracting free agents for a long stretch of time, but it couldn't last forever. The better the team's outlook, the better the chances of stars joining.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I love LeBron and he’s my favorite player, but the way everything has gone down has soured me on him temporarily.

8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^

No worries man; we'll make some moves this summer and you will love LeBron again!

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I sure hope so

:Crazyartest:

10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The game tonight was better than I thought it would be. We kept hanging around which was nice to see.

Cookie likes this.
  11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

there's been a lot of "apocalypse" type of comments on the boards since the AD thing. The fact is since last summer, the plan was to try and get a minimum of one star signed and we got (arguably) the best one. Wherever you rank LBJ currently if he's not a top tier top player in your mind then just nvm. The guy can still play some D in the playoffs when needed and is a top offensive threat so I don't buy that argument, he was a huge pickup.

It was always a long shot that something big would happen at the deadline. Always. The mishandling of the media with the AD thing is on Rich Paul not the Lakers. The plan last summer was to get at least one star and another by next summer. This is what Magic said. I did expect us to be a bottom-seeded playoff team and up until early December we looked better than that then the massive injury bug hit at the worst time. This was never a season that it was all supposed to "happen". Yeah there was a bit of a "hey if we can add someone to Lebron @ the deadline and we are rolling and healthy anything can happen" mentality but for some fans that became the expectation. Typical of laker fans. At this point if we tank and get a good pick and that makes the difference in a trade for AD (especially considering the fading value of our assets) and we sign a great player to go along with that player and LBJ, people will declare Magic a genius. So for me, it's about the summer and I have high hopes. Bummer about no playoffs but again, I didn't think this was our year at all. My biggest disappointment for the year so far has been BI's blood clot. I sure hope he gets a clean bill of health before July 1

tada, lakerjones, KB24 and 2 others like this.
  12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I really don't think you can say he almost traded our core...

1. I wanted the deal to happen so couldn't be that bad

2. Magic wanted it too obviously and everyone else here as well. So can't put it on LeBron. Also he is 34. If I was in his position I would do the same.

Last but not least he was THE ONLY guy who wanted to join the Lakers. THE ONLY. That alone shows he was not afraid to accept the burden and of course he knew he was going to be in a shark tank. If you think he has no balls or whatever, that's just not true.

Also he brought some credibility back to the Lakers. The Lakers were starting to lose national TV games, maybe Christmas games etc... With LeBron we still get the highest degree of attention which is not just important for ownership bug also for fans, who crave more coverage.

Listen, I'm not a LeBron fan but you have to give the guy credit. Yes he gets paid handsomely but that's his market value. If you don't wanna caugh up the cash, other owners would gladly take him.

Can we blame him? Yes I think his leadership was trash. He should have been a lot more protective of his teammates. He never took blame for this hot mess. That's just atrocious, period.

It's also funny when Kobe was here, the media always claimed nobody wants to play with him and how everyone would want to play with LeBron. Once LeBron gets here allegedly nobody wants to play with him either...

LeBron as I have said many times while falling on deaf ears... Is our problem #1576678.

That's how many issues we have ahead of him.
    You don't have to love him, I don't either. But he was the first domino that we have been DESPERATE to get. That alone is worth a lot to me. Does he want to enjoy life in Hollywood? You bet. But if think YOU wouldn't want that, then you are fooling yourself. Every multi millionaire would want that. Can you blame him? Would you have preferred Denver or Philly compared to LA?

As long as he comes to work, he can do whatever he wants. We don't own the human being, we own his basketball services. And if he enjoys life, good for him. I wished I had those millions to the exactly the same.

tada, lakerjones, Khmrp and 5 others like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Well said, Alcindor and kb. I'm the resident pessimist, but it's getting out of hand. Lebron's the only reason we got to see half a season of good ball for the first time in forever. he may have single-handedly kept the brand from going full clippers, too--which is more valuable than people think.

tada, KB24, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

What? It's terrible. We almost accidentally cost ourselves a game in the standings. ;)

Honestly though, we need to be in full tank mode at this point. We need to drop down one more spot to get us a better shot at a top 4 pick.

Toneloc and abeer3 like this.
  15. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    I actually agree with most of what you said here, with the glaring exception being the trade. Not everybody here wanted to trade all assets we have for Davis. I know I didn't and I'm pretty sure there were also other posters who were not extatic about trading all the prospects along with multiple picks. That's just not a good trade.

I get that everybody wants to have stars on the team but you have to fill it in with other players, you can't just go and get 3 max guys and worry about the rest later.

I may be in the minority here, or maybe the only one on this forum, but I'd much rather sign one more star in the off season and keep the young guys, who will earn a lot less than the current stars while also being more and more productive. This way may work long and short-term, while trading everything we have for Davis gives us a very short window of success.

BTW - the urge to trade our prospects for current stars was one of main reservations toward signing Bron. Back then I was told this time it wouldn't happen because clearly Bron likes the young guys on the roster. Seems like I was right and I feel like some frustration on my part was to be expected.

Finally - Bron may be the first star to join the Lakers as a free agent in like forever, doesn't mean we won't regret giving him this huge contract with the mileage on his body. Among other things, he was supposed to never get injured or slow down until the end of this contract. This is not a criticism of him per se, just another reason why I am not thrilled to have him on the team for the amount he is being paid.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  16. DoMinJoon

DoMinJoon - Rookie -

With the first pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select Zion Williamson from Duke University

[​IMG]

tada, lakerjones, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

And with his first lotto ticket bought ever at his local beer store LT wins the Super Lotto. Yeah I like both. Bring it!

:Laugh:

lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  18. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    And proceed to immediately trade him for Zaza Pachulia.

tada, DoMinJoon, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  19. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

It's not all on LeBron, but I do believe he contributed greatly to the toxic environment that was created via the AD fiasco.

LeBron is basically AD's agent via his stake in Klutch and the fact that AD's agent is his best friend from childhood.

As a teammate of LeBron's, I'd have a big problem with him trying to trade me while he is injured and sitting out games on purpose to force management to trade everyone for AD (remember Rich Paul's comments about how if it were playoffs, he'd be playing? And that they ain't on nobody's timeline? Yea, that was Rich Paul telling our FO we'll keep LeBron out until you get AD). Yes, it's a business, and yes, the FO might try and trade you. BUt that's different than your TEAMMATE actually having a vested interest in trading you (Klutch brand sees more dollars if AD comes to LA, which means more dollars for LeBron James)..and this was after your teammate was preaching patience and all that at the beginning of the year. Not to mention, I thought the young core was turning a corner after a few wins like the one over OKC on the road....and then they had to deal with this AD crap.

Magic and Rob ultimately deserve majority of the blame for failing to construct a roster that can withstand injuries...spending $30M on KCP, Rondo, McGee, Beasley and Stephenson ultimately did us in (with $25m of that going to Rondo, KCP and Lance).

After that, I'd say its Luke for terrible rotations and no offensive system put into place.

After that, I'd say it's LeBron for poor leadership and forcing the issue with AD trade and having it blow up in everyone's faces, and then LeBron continuing to blame his teammates through the media while he's premiering Space Jam 2 and not playing D while missing free throws consistently in crunch time.

Would I trade LeBron? Only if we get the #1 pick would I consider such a crazy move. Otherwise, I'd keep him and do your best to get him a second superstar like AD or one of the FA's this summer. We have to see how LeBron does with a 2nd star before we can really judge him. For now, I'll say i'm disappointed in how he handled this year...seems to care a lot more about his stats than actually winning the game, which is why he's going to continue to play this year

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

dam LT you dream small bro, super? you need to be fantasing about Mega or current Powerball lol

LTLakerFan likes this.