Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

them meme team gona implode n sink us

2. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

I like where the team is at. We have a winning record at the near quarter mark of the season but the teams' efficiency is more often than not, clunky. We still have alot of room for improvement. It is no coincidence that the young core is improving with the added amount of playing time after the Rondo injury and Luke increasing minutes for BI, Kuz, and Lonzo. In another development KCP has quietly become our best perimeter defender. His height and speed on the defensive end is on par with Lonzo but navigates the screen game more efficiently. Luke will be pressed for distribution of minutes when Rondo returns. Encouragingly Rondo said he had an opportunity with the injury to focus on his cardio while he's been out.... hmmmm.

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

KCP is not our best perimeter defender. His ability to track a player is nice, but he consistently gets blown by off the dribble and doesn't recover well. He also goes under the screen far too often on shooters, which is not what you want to do. Our best defenders are Hart and Lonzo, with an edge to Lonzo with his active hands and reading passing lanes.

KCP has been quietly improving his outside shot however. That's where he's earning his minutes on a team who can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Where we're missing Rondo most is taking care of the ball and initiating the offense off the bench. Right now. the bench is running off hustle, but we need more structure.

Our record is surprising despite our play and schedule, but that's what Lebron affords us. I can't wait until we finally get things rolling or add another piece to the puzzle.

4. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

Good takes ... but i’m going to stand by my KCP observation. I believe KCP and Lonzo physically can do more with their foot speed than Josh or for that matter most of the league. Moving from point a to b rapidly, distinguishes them. Lonzo’s hands are quicker than KCP’s ... however KCP is more seasoned (It’s ok to come under a perimeter screen if you have the footspeed to recover ... often makes it easier on our bigs) and KCP, at this point, is a better at finishing in transition. As Lonzo develops and picks up from KCP and Rondo he’s going to be a major headache for pick n roll guards ... read Steph, Klay, Harden and Dame.

Lakeshow85, lakerfan2 and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

kcp IS fast as s***. some of his runouts on breaks scare me. am i still on topic?

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  6. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

This LeBron guy is pretty good...

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah he has been great on this roster so far and not just with his continuing incredible play, but with the big brother seeming nurturing attitude he has with the young guys. BI in pain walking off and Bron had his arm on his back checking on him and talking to him. That kind of warmth was not really in Kobe's repertoire. Different styles of leadership, but have to say I like LeBron's. People were saying before he came that he was a great teammate. Seems to be the case. Kept passing the ball to Svi to try and get him going too. Seems to have done some good for KCP's confidence of late by finding him open for threes and then the last game really pumping him up after he buried one from the side from one of his passes.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If Ball and BI reach their potential, we won't need another superstar ;)
    Let KD and Kawhi join the Clippers... i will gladly take AD or Giannis though.

Lakeshow85 and tada like this.
  9. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I don’t get the rush to trade the kids, unless it’s for AD. We got max money to spend this summer. Let’s just sit back and watch this thing play out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  10. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m not in any kind of rush to trade the kids, but I do think AD is the caliber of player where, if you have an opportunity to get him, you get him. And you figure out the rest after.

Lakeshow85, alam1108, TIME and 4 others like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

That was an EXCELLENT come back win. Loved it! Fun game to watch. Too bad about BI going down.

D-Fish Man, Kenzo, alam1108 and 5 others like this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think anyone's in a rush. people are just annoyed that we held them out of trade talks for high quality players. we should have learned by now that summer money doesn't guarantee much, and if you read the landscape, it could be pretty slim pickings at the max level this summer (as it is every summer, really).

and yes, AD is worth pretty much anything but lebron. but that would also mean that lesser allstars in their prime should still be worth some of our assets.

Toneloc, alam1108 and TIME like this.
  14. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yep. We held Ingram out of talks for Paul George and apparently for Kawhi as well...not good.

But...having said that...young core stepped up and LeBron went nuts...I'll be happy if that happens more often this season.

We're 15-9...sitting in 5th and only 2 games out of 1st...and our team seems to be finding better chemistry as of late especially on the defensive side of things...I think we're a bit ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point in the season. I'll take it

abeer3 likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

There's something building here. I'm with @Toklat . Wait till Magic and Rob put the final touches on this season's playoff roster by the deadlines. :cool:

[​IMG]

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Toklat like this.
  16. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

If we're anywhere near the top 3 in the west....I see Magic and Rob taking a risk.

But I wonder if we make a trade regardless of where we are...very interesting times indeed...is there a Pau Gasol out there for us that is worth giving up some assets? Say...Nikola Vucevic?

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think our center rotation is perfect for our needs of this team. Both are much better defensively than Vucevic, and provide a threat down low for lobs.

I think we can take go two ways with a trade

1. Go big and get another star. That would have to revolve around Ingram first. Kuz/Hart only start getting added when it's Anthony Davis being discussed. Otherwise, someone like Beal or Kemba would be an incredible second scoring punch that we can use. That may take our 1st round pick(s) however.

2. Trade one our expirings + 2nd rounder for a better fitting player. My preference is like the Ariza, Carroll, Markieff Morris types. Ariza less likely with his agent being Mintz. But I think we could add another strong perimeter defender than can also space the floor, along with our young core, that would really solidify our ever improving defense and floor spacing.

I personally would go route 2, and just run with the team now and wait for the offseason when we have all the money and coming off a good season. One of the big names will bite.

alam1108, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Welcome Aboard!! The fun part is we are no where near as good as we will be in a couple months. Going to enjoy every minute.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

wait...ariza was repped by david lee and now mintz? yeesh...

TIME, ZenMaster, Kenzo and 3 others like this.
  20. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst