Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Our roster a year ago:

Lonzo Ball/Tyler Ennis/Alex Caruso
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope/Jordan Clarkson
    Brandon Ingram/Josh Hart/Corey Brewer/Luol Deng
    Julius Randle/Larry Nance Jr./Kyle Kuzma
    Brook Lopez/Andrew Bogut/Ivica Zubac/Thomas Bryant

Obviously the rotation juggled a little bit and guys came and went.

This year:

Lonzo Ball/Rajon Rondo/Alex Caruso
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope/Josh Hart/Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
    Brandon Ingram/Lance Stephenson/Luol Deng
    LeBron James/Kyle Kuzma/Moe Wagner
    Javale McGee/Ivica Zubac

I'm going to assume Brook is brought in at some point, but my goodness what an incredible turnaround. I would not have expected to see Pope's name and not Randle's, but this team is now 100% a playoff team and contender. This team can absolutely hang with the depth challenged Rockets. It can give the very depth challenged Golden State Warriors a run with scrappy defense and constant pressure. What other team in the West is beating them? Portland? New Orleans? I can't name a player from either bench. Utah can give us a challenge I guess. Denver and Murray definitely won't be pulling anymore stupid stunts.

Out East there's only two challengers: Boston and Philly. Last year in four games LeBron averaged nearly 33/12/10 against the Sixers. Boston is the only team in the league with our kind of depth (especially if we bring back Brook.

This is going to be a special year. Last year the Cavs won 50 games with basically LeBron and Love and a cast of middle relievers. This year LeBron's got actual talent around him, conference be damned. If the Blazers and Thunder can win 48 games, we can win 50 games. I expect us to be a Top 3 team in the West and a Top 6 or 7 or so team overall. Nobody will have our scrappiness and our fight. Nobody will have our passing ability. We're going to put teams on notice right away that this isn't the same Laker team of the last 5 years. No more Patrick Beverley d***ing around with Lonzo. No more phone mishaps. No more of that bull****. LakeShow 2.0 is going to come at you hard and fast.

Lakeshow85, Cookie, Toklat and 8 others like this.
  2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

What I'm most interested in is the comparison between last years cavs and this years lakers. The warriors swept them pretty handily, but the games weren't laughing stock blow outs. Lebron plus our roster is much better than his cavs roster. We are right there, imo with the rockets and C Bags.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

So much depends on Ingram. Year 3 is typically a big year for players. It seems to be a year where star players usually make a big leap. If Ingram turns into a legitimate star (not necessarily superstar) then we are right there with every team not named the Warriors.

4. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

If lonzo can shoot a respectable % and play 70+ games in addition to Ingram blossoming into a quasi star, we're riiiiiiight there with the warriors (if you squint).

Kenzo, Juronimo, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

This team is built to win a championship now and that is exactly what is going to happen. Lebron with our young guys was going to be great. Lebron with our young guys and these other acquisitions is spectacular. Rondo is the piece that puts us over the top. Not sure many people realize just how good he is. Two of the Warrior championships were made much easier by key injuries to other teams. They are far from unbeatable. The C Bags had a great run with their youth, however, if they were in the West that run would never have happened. Unless CP stays healthy Houston has no chance. It is the Lakers. Hard to even imagine the kind of motivation Lebron will have against the Warriors in the playoffs. Other than Love almost everyone on our team is better than what he had in Cleveland. We are going high 50's and a Championship.

Juronimo, LTLakerFan and alam1108 like this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I’m done “chasing Kawhi”. It’s seems all of our focus has been on him when we have a perfectly capable team in front of us.

I was in the camp to trade BI for him, but now I’m not. We haven’t seen BI play next to star and it could REALLY improve his game to another level, especially next to a complimentary player like Lebron. We saw how a young Kawhi benefitted playing next to the Spurs Big 3, let’s take a year to see how BI responds his year with less pressure to “lead” and focus on getting better. The nice part about what we built is that we have options. We can still go for Kawhi next year, if BI doesn’t pan out, he’s still a cheap effective role player, but his trend say otherwise.

I want the focus off of our young guys from being included in trade talks, and focus on training and how to support Lebron as much as possible. Right now, we put together a good cast of hard nosed players in Rondo and Stephenson, we’ve added shooters like Svi, Moe to go along with Kuz, Hart who’s improved his shot, KCP, and BI, and we got some rim protection with McGee. Lopez would be icing on the cake to a SMART offseason by the front office.

This team gave Golden State fits last year when healthy, and we just added Lebron and a slew of strong contributors. Everyone’s expecting Golden State to steam roll over everyone, I sat they will get complacent this year and we’re going to sucker punch them and the league with our Suicide Squad this year.

Let’s go Lakers.

TIME, OmarE, tada and 3 others like this.
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^...sign Lopez as mostly everyone has been clamoring for. I don't see McGee logging a ton of minutes every game the whole season unless the coaching staff have thoughts of Wagner seeing significant time at the 5 as his back-up. Just no.

So far the Rondo and Stephenson acquisitions has been panned described as underwhelming. That pair's contributions could surprise a whole lot of folks.

9. lakerfan2

Definitely not expecting McGee to log any significant minutes, most likely be running a small ball lineup for the most part.

But, he did show to play within his role as a pick and roll target and anchor. He hasn’t done any Shaqtin a Fool type of plays the last two years. So that’s all I’m happy about.

gcclaker and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

The only signing I really dont like is McGee. Never been a big fan of his. A man that gifted who can't play for more than 15 min because of his lack of focus for a game is just not someone I like on the team. Even if Walton does what Kerr does with his playing time, I really didnt see the point of him being brought on. Defense? meh, never really struck me as a defensive presence. I actually think if there was a guy to have for defense 15 min a game, bring back Bogut. He was always good for those 12-15 min stretches in the game on defense. Or someone like him.

I agree with Lebron on the smart players part. We want this team filled with smart basketball players. If they have an edge to them, even better. But not flighty or unfocused.

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He has asthma, nothing to do with focus.

12. lakerfan2

Bogut was literally a walking body out there. He was tough, but here’s nothing left in that Aussie tank.

Like I said, McGee’s definitely reduced the amount of “dumb” plays he makes. He usually plays within his capacity, and it’s effective. Hes a strong finisher at the rim and a great lob target, his length and athelcism makes up for his lack of defensive IQ, something we really didn’t have last year. I’m not saying he’s our starting center, but the guy has learned to play his role and he does it well. His 15-20 minutes is also limited to his asthma.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m at the point where I’m fine rolling with what we’ve got. We have solid youth, a couple of which should have great breakout seasons. We have experienced vets that add value in their own right and to the youth.

If you factor in the synergy of these players playing together with championship leadership in LeBron and Rondo, I think they all will play better and with a purpose knowing that the Finals is a real possibility.

Now, regarding Deng, I’ll make the bizarro comment just to put it out there. He has been the pin cushion since he’s been here and rightfully so. But he was once a really good player. Considering the synergistic effect of a talented team playing together, what if he were actually able to provide a contribution with his play. Pipe dream probably, but what if...

I’ll put myself on record now to say I see this as a championship season and I think the Lakers can get that with the team as assembled today.

Toklat, lakerfan2 and therealdeal like this.
  14. OX1947

"Asthma my a**. The asthma field is over there," pointing to the parking lot at Valley Ranch.

-Jimmy Johnson (2-Time Super Bowl winning coach)

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

TIME and Jaguar like this.
  16. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Ok I was just going over future cap numbers with a friend and it's pretty promising for our 2019 outlook. As it stands we are a very formidable team but we still stand to lead the league in available cap space next summer.

If we keep all of our youth, trade no one, renounce all 1-year deals AND find a taker for Deng's last year on his deal we will have 45.3 mil in cap space. Even with Deng, we'd have 26.5 mil, however It'd be hard to believe that Rob won't offload the last year of Deng's deal by next summer. We may even play him some this year and show he's still alive. He'd probably look good with LBJ/Ball/Rondo distributing instead of Ennis/Caruso. It will be FAR easier and more realistic to dump him in the last year of his deal with some picks and maybe a youthful prospect (not one the core 4 of course) as sweetener. Maybe even do it during this season for an expiring and toss in picks/youthful sweetener.

Having 45.3 mil and all our core youth as well as LBJ would be huge. If we made a Kawhi trade, we'd be able to sign another max as we'd have also sent salary out. We'd also have his bird rights allowing us to sign him and go over the cap. Magic was not kidding about us not being in a rush and with LBJ agreeing to come on board already, he basically made Magic and Rob the most powerful FO as far as FA goes and the upcoming deadline and summer.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Kenzo, alam1108, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  17. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

So now that these six years of hell are finally over (I'm including the year of Nash's glass leg, Coward, Dr. Buss RIP, and Kobe's achilles), what do we call it? The Nick Young Era?

18. OX1947

Veto Era.

19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Korver is available with about 3 million guaranteed for his last year, Deng and two 1st round picks?

20. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Cleveland can get under the cap by moving Kover and not taking in salary and then letting someone like Hood go so yes to the picks but a big no to the Deng. That Clarkson contract sure isn't looking very good now either. Poor Cavs.