Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Me grasping at straws? OK.

Last time I checked you were the one trying to relate contract size to clutchness. I've proven that it has little to no relevance. Now you're all over the place with your argument. We can agree to disagree. I think I'm done here.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    QFT.

Shaq was the obvious example. Not a closer, but who's not going to give prime Shaq a Max deal?

tada and lakerjones like this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

What the hell is happening in my optimism thread? :D

I think the point being made is that if Julius wants max money, he needs to bring max effort every night. Using the last game against him in that argument is a little tougher than it needs to be. He was playing fairly well, but some factors outside his control meant he wasn't closing the game for us.

I understand Alcindor's point I think. Julius isn't "the guy" so he doesn't deserve "the guy" money. I agree with that kind of. Vash pointed out in another thread why Julius probably isn't "worth" a max investment. However, I'm not sure it matters. It all really depends on who wants to throw cash at him. I think Dallas is the main threat and could find a way to get him a max deal, but it all remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, back in the optimism department: Orlando tonight should be a blowout.

4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

There's no need to get touchy about it, I didn't put words in your mouth. You literally wrote: "But Jules and Isaiah need to pay attention, this is why you won't get close to max contracts. You want Lillard money you close out games like Lillard."

I responded to that statement. I get it with IT - he's not going to get a huge contract as he would have before his injury. And he an absolutely awful game against Portland, easily the worst I've seen from his so far as a Laker and it's not close. I just thought the inclusion of Julius in that sentence made very little sense, especially considering that the game before this one against the Spurs, Randle's play down the stretch ABSOLUTELY without debate helped clinch the game for us. This game he was on fire destroying Portland in the paint all night, Luke took him out and took way too long getting him back in the game in the fourth. From there he really didn't see the ball as IT and KCP decided to play hero ball on their own and cemented the loss.

What kind of deal Julius is going to get is out of our hands. We're going to have to see what happens. The fact though is that he's played outstanding ball all year long and if he gets a big pay day out of it good for him, he deserves it. If we can keep him on a good cheap deal, hey more power to our FO! I'd love to see him stay no matter what, but it's a business and we shall see.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    gcclaker, tada, TIME and 1 other person like this.
  5. lakerjones

Using the last game or the game before or even the last 30 games or so since he became a starter as a point to demean Randle's value or competitiveness is inane. He is a huge reason for our surge in the wins column. His play against the Spurs down the stretch literally sealed the win for us. This is indeed the optimism thread so I don't think trashing our guys who are playing at a high level is positive.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm not saying I agree with using this game as the prime example, but in a macro sense I can see the argument of "If a player is looking for max money, he needs to bring max player play every single night". For instance guys like Lillard or Giannis are prime candidates for a max contract. Julius plays a high level, but probably below that threshold.

If that's the argument, I understand it. I'm not judging Julius's whole season off of last game for sure. The guy has been tremendous. I argued for Julius for four years, I love that kid, I'd love to keep him around. He's done a lot of proving himself this season. One of my favorite things to point out about Julius coming into this season was how he's improved every year he's been in the league. Personally, I think Julius is worth somewhere in the 15-20 million range, closer to 17-18 million which is a significant amount of money. I think he's a deeply impactful player when he's on and going hard. He's certainly been very responsible for our current stretch of success and he's making it very difficult to move on.

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and wallangong like this.
  7. lakerjones

Randle does things that no one else is willing or able to do on this team. And it's not just offense, and that should be part of the consideration of how valuable a guy is. He's our only Big who is truly capable of and GOOD at (which is a very important point) switching on smaller guys. We found out earlier this year that he is also credible as a small ball center, something which I very much doubted in the past. This is one of the main reasons I want to retain him next year if at all possible to pair up with one or two big time free agents. He's a beast on the block, a great switching big on D, and a potential starting small ball center doubling with some time at the 4.

I feel the situation is entirely different with the other two guards on our team who are vying for max contracts than the situation with Julius. IT unfortunately just isn't healthy and his hip is a huge concern for his next contract. He's not going to get max based on what he's shown so far. It just isn't happening for him. I think it's similar for KCP. He had a chance to sign an extremely lucrative contract in Detroit and I feel like he blew it. On the Lakers he's been fine but nowhere the level of play to get that kind of offer again.

Perhaps not coincidentally both of those two players, IT and KCP really blew it for us down the stretch and looked awful against Lillard. They were both selfish and playing hero ball. It didn't work. They both failed miserably although IT much more so. Meanwhile Julius as I mentioned play outstanding. We haven't even talked about the fact that since missing those 5 free throws some games ago, he went into the gym, stayed there practicing free throws much of the night and since then has been absolutely superb from the line. The other night he was 9 for 9 from the line. Last game he was 7 of 8. Meanwhile, the ultra dependable IT who shoots nearly 90% bricked a clutch free throw down the stretch vs. Portland that could have helped us and him salvage that game.

In other words, Randle is getting a pay bump this year. That much is an absolute fact. Whether it's from us or from another team depends upon the market this summer, it's not up to us completely. He's improved a great deal and his play has elevated us this year in a big way. He'll be very deserving of his pay increase in regards to how hard he's worked and the results he's showing. I do hope we can keep him and that it will be as cheap a contract as possible for our cap space. We'll have to see what happens this summer.

Kenzo, tada and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Would he want to go home for say 20M if Cuban could pull off that or a bit higher and play for a considerably lesser team than the Lakers the next 4-5 years if we land PG or PG and LBJ ..... or would he be willing for the home-town discount around 18M to stay and have a far more exciting next 4-5 years with ring contention? It's up to Rob to make this work and not ship any of our now core young players out if at all possible. Zubac maybe but would much prefer that to be Bryant. 2 firsts and Bryant would be spectacular if he could do it to get rid of Deng.

But ALSO the group effort with PG and Randle and LBJ to all take a little less to keep JR here and as many as possible of the lesser young guys. Starting with Bryant and Zubac being the most expendable. That's a tough one between Hart and Zubac. For me. Love Hart but damn there are some really good BIG men going to be in the league for the next 10 years. And Ayton coming in this year.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
  10. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Okay. Let's go for +0.500.
    12-6 for this remaining schedule.

@ Nuggets
    vs Cavaliers
    vs Nuggets
    @ Warriors
    vs Heat
    @ Pacers
    @ Pelicans
    @ Grizzlies
    @ Pistons
    vs Mavericks
    vs Bucks
    vs Kings
    @ Jazz
    vs Spurs
    vs TWolves
    vs Jazz
    vs Rockets
    @ Clippers

Wow. Just wow. We only have 3 winnable games, 3 back to backs with the rest as critical to our opponents as it can get. All the more we should play motivated. It would be so nice to play BIG TIME spoilers late.

@ Pelicans, vs Bucks, vs Spurs & vs TWolves are second night of the opponent's back to back so we may able to squeak in a couple of upsets there. So realistically, we're looking at a 5-13 finish to the season, 34-48 overall. Wew!

Hey, one game at a time. But boy, damn that schedule is heavily loaded.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Man, we are really missing BI out there. He really does do a lot for us out there now.

12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Big game against Denver on Friday on the road. They lost 2 games in a row, and are itching to get back on a winning streak. We need to attack them early and step on their throat.

13. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

LOL,Antony Davis is injured again
    Anthony Davis (left ankle) went to the locker room in the third quarter on Wednesday.
    https://t.co/O29OWvECBs

14. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

He's only 24 years old. You wouldn't know it with all the injuries he seems to acquire every year.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Just freaking unlucky. Typical ankle roll jump and come down on someone else's foot. I must have been lucky with my Boing Vert hops ;) as I never landed like that all the years I played. Only time I ever rolled my ankle hard was running across a yard in the dark and hit a sprinkler hole. Lost the 2nd half of my little league summer. Sumb**** swelled up like a mother.

:dwightcrying:

16. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    We have a tough schedule and most of those teams are in the playoff hunt so they probably are not going to mail in games along the way.

But honestly, at this point I expect the Lakers to beat some of them at home at least.

I think we will easily get to 35+ wins which is a successful season in my book and above the general expectations.

Cookie, therealdeal, Alcindor and 3 others like this.
  17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Right now we would be giving up the 12th pick in the draft which makes it a lot easier to handle.

18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

This is why it's hard to consider him a 1st tier star.

19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

We'll go 9-9 (if Brandon comes back for the 2nd Nuggets game).

20. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Tough schedule yes but 5-13? We've beat 8 teams on that list already. Some of the losses were prior to Jan 7 when we changed gears and started playing .692 ball since. We've beat good teams this year, it's hard to say what's winnable and what isn't with this group who've proven they can beat just about anyone in the league on a given night. To me, betting on less than .500 ball from here out seems like really undercutting these guys. Tougher schedule and all. We may not maintain the .692 but I think we can do .500 easy enough from here on out and that would be 38-44. Almost anyone in this forum would have gladly signed off on that finish at the start of the year.

A 12 game win increase to damn near playoff eligibility while having cleared cap space for 2 max FAs? That would be a big success in my book and it's looking very real.