Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It is good timing for the trade. And that Nash pick is getting easier and easier to swallow. 2 months ago it looked like Boston was going to get Bagley or Ayton, now it looks like Philly will get a pick in the double digits.

2. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Another situation where a glut of top picks yields little. Sort of like the Cleveland before Lebron’s second tour, and Philly for a few years. Fultz’ top pick value is gone.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Hey!

Wes Johnson could be great still. There's time.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Laugh: Where's LVBD now with his Bagley to C Bags smack?

:Fishwink:

5. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Let me tell you why it is. Paul George was drafted to be a defender. Never used that much on his 1st year on the offensive end of the floor. On his 2nd year, he was like the 4th/5th option in his team with talents lead by ball dominant players. His primary role has always been to defend.

It was sad for one but probably the best news for him was when Danny Granger had an injury. From there, Paul George 24/13 happened.

So yeah, projecting rookie/sophomore figures with his numbers could be a little misleading.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I suppose, but it's still encouraging. We're hoping Ingram can be George and right now he's on a solid track. Look:

As rookies:

(19 years old) Ingram- 9.4 points, 4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 steals, 0.5 blocks 28.8 mpg 40.2FG% 29.4 3PT% (started 40 games, played 79 total)
    (20 years old) George- 7.8 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1 steal, 0.4 blocks, 20.7 mpg 45.3FG% 29.7 3PT% (started 19 games, played 61 total)

As sophomores:
    (20 years old) Ingram- 15.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 0.8 steals, 0.7 blocks 33.9 mpg 45.8FG% 36.9 3PT% (started all 50 games)
    (21 years old) George- 12.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.6 blocks 29.7 mpg 44FG% 38.5 3PT% (started all 66 games)

It wasn't until George's 3rd year when he blew up and became an All-Star. Danny Granger played only 6 games and George stepped into the void.
    (22 years old) George- 17.4 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.6 blocks 41.9FG% 36.2 3PT% (started 79 games)

Hopefully Ingram can make another solid leap, but if you look strictly by the numbers, Ingram isn't that far behind those stats. The big difference of course is that the Pacers won 49 games that year and Paul George was a stellar defender by all metrics where Ingram is still working on that end. Still, with these young guys you try to find encouragement where you can.

For instance, here's a bunch of #2 picks that Ingram is probably already better than since 2000: Stromile Swift, Jay Williams, Darko Milicic, Marvin Williams, Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Evan Turner, Derrick Williams, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, D'Angelo Russell :Shaqwink:

7. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Out of that last group, I liked Beasley who could score on his own and Williams who is solid if not unspectacular. If I recall correctly, 24 thought Turner would be a better pro than Wall.

I won't even comment on the last one... :)

So...is it Saturday yet? Wins like last night makes me look forward to the next one.

8. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

It's like they are teaching him how to play basketball again, wtf.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Stanley Johnson is finally coming around after the Blake Griffin trade.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

This is just so weird given how effortless and smooth Fultz was in college at least from the games I've seen him play. It's like Philly picked a different player... Don't matter since they have T.J. McConnell.

Juronimo likes this.
  11. therealdeal

I still like Stanley a lot. I'd take him in a second... Just don't know where I'd put him.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Mudiay's got time too ;)

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, what else do you have in common with trudell?

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

I'm actually secretly him.

15. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Why do you shop in the boys suits section at Macy's?

16. therealdeal

Why are you watching the boy's suits at Macy's?

alam1108, abeer3, TIME and 7 others like this.
  17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Where did you get that suit, the toilet store?

18. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
    Source: 4 Constant Factors in the Lakers' 4-Game Win Streak

[​IMG]
    by Joey Ramirez
    Digital Reporter
    Posted: Feb 09, 2018
    The Lakers have been playing their best ball of the season, winning 12 of their last 16 games, eight straight at home and four in a row overall.

In each stop of this latest surge, there have been four constants that have propelled the Lakers to victory. Let’s take a look at those factors.
    [​IMG]
    B.I. getting the point
    The Lakers’ streak coincided with Brandon Ingram taking over as starting point guard. With Lonzo Ball (sore left knee) injured since mid-January, the Lakers struggled to find consistent playmaking from the point guard position.

Enter Ingram, who shifted over from small forward and found immediate success. The 20-year-old has led the Lakers’ offense to the tune of 19.3 points, 6.5 assists and only 2.0 turnovers since taking over at point. He has been especially effective at pushing the pace (replicating Ball’s impact on the offense) and finding open teammates on drive-and-kicks.

Just as impressive, Ingram’s own offense has surged despite having to set up the rest of his teammates as well. He has shot 56.0 percent from the field, including a whopping 18-of-22 on layups — as his herky-jerky slashing and ability to finish at odd angles has been on full display.

Ironically, his usually reliable mid-range game has sunk during this span (2-of-12), but he has shot the 3-ball with much more confidence (6-of-10).

Julius Randle flexing on everybody
    Lakers assistant coach Jesse Mermuys — who works closely with Julius Randle — recently referred to the Lakers’ young big as a “genetic giant.”

Opposing front court players have seen (and felt) this for themselves over the last four games, as Randle has left bodies in his wake, overpowering defenders to score at the rim.

Randle has averaged 19.0 points and 8.0 rebounds, while shooting 55.0 percent. His post-up game has been especially effective, as DeMarre Carroll, Carmelo Anthony, Dragan Bender and Patrick Patterson have all failed to stop Randle’s bully-ball act.

It has been an area of extreme improvement for Randle, who is in the NBA’s 65th percentile in post-up efficiency (0.94 points per play). Last season, he was in the 15th percentile (0.69), and the year before he was just 19th (0.66).

This season — and especially over the last four games — Randle has used his superior strength to overwhelm smaller defenders and his unique speed to take slower ones off the dribble.

It’s no wonder why President of Basketball Operations Magic Johnson recently said, “I love the way Julius is playing right now. This is the best I’ve ever seen him play.”

Josh Barkley on the boards
    Bestowed a Charles Barkley-inspired nickname by his teammates, Josh Hart has been a force on the boards since joining the starting five.

The Lakers have gone 4-0 after Hart became a starter, while he has gobbled up 11.0 rebounds per contest. And these haven’t been your “casually grab an uncontested missed free throw” type of rebounds.

Hart has been saving possessions with his offensive boards, and (more importantly) he’s made opponents pay for not hurrying back on defense by pulling down missed shots and immediately attacking in transition.

While Hart’s presence has been felt most on the glass, the rookie really is playing like a vet with the entirety of his game. During the streak, he’s putting up 13.5 points, 3.0 assists and 2.5 3-pointers, while shooting a robust 63.3 percent from the field and 10-of-18 on triples.

Defense on the rise
    The trio of Ingram, Randle and Hart has powered the Lakers’ offense, but an across-the-roster effort on the defensive side has been just as important to the team’s recent success.

Over the last four games, they have suffocated their opponents, yielding the second-fewest points (94.3), second-worst field goal percentage (40.8) and third-worst 3-point percentage (27.4).

Part of this stems from shorthanded opponents — including Phoenix without Devin Booker and Oklahoma City sans Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony — but the Lakers have done their part, including against a full-strength OKC team just two days before the rematch.

Hart has been excellent on the wing, hounding high-scoring wings like Paul George and T.J. Warren (who finished with high scoring totals but had to put up a lot of shots to get there). Randle and Brook Lopez have also been reliable protecting the paint from slashers and big men.

Over the last 16 games, the Lakers own the second-best record in the NBA. Continuing their defensive prowess will be the key to finding similar success over the final 28 contests of the year.

Battle Tested20, TIME, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  19. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Yea, I am looking forward to tonight’s game!

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Am excited for Larry and Jordan to be headed for the playoffs in the Least with one of the best players in the history of the game .... on a honeymoon with him being genuinely happy to have a better chance with them vs the 2 guys who left.

gcclaker and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.